Aldo: Mendes doesn't deserve rematch yet

Although Chad Mendes is an impressive 4-0 since his first loss to Jose Aldo, the champion doesn't believes Mendes has done enough yet to merit another title shot:

"If I were Lamas, I wouldn’t fight anyone and just wait for my opportunity," he said. "He was supposed to fight me already but then (Anthony) Pettis got himself in the middle. Lamas should wait, this is his moment. But it they decide to do a rematch between Lamas and Swanson to see who fights me, that’s ok too."

Asked about Chad Mendes, who has knocked out four opponents since losing to Jose Aldo on 2012, the Brazilian said he’s not quite there yet, despite the fact that he has finished the likes of Clay Guida and Darren Elkins.

"Chad Mendes is still starting, haven’t fought anyone ranked yet, only fought guys that are not that good," he said. "He’s coming off good wins, but he hasn’t beaten good guys. So I believe the next two should be Ricardo Lamas and Cub Swanson."

Four straights wins is impressive, however Aldo may be right as Mendes has finished four straight fighters, none of which are considered near the top of the featherweight division.

Venum Joseå© Aldo UFC 163 Corra Fight Shorts

Venum Joseå© Aldo UFC 163 Corra Fight Shorts

Venum Team Aldo Shirt

Venum Team Aldo Shirt

Damaynevent site profile image

9/16/13 11:18 PM by Damaynevent

This is the reason I don't like Aldo. I'm a huge Cub Swanson fan, but I think Mendes wins a decision over him. I think Mendes knocks Llamas out. Aldo knows Chad is dangerous and wants the easiest fight available. He knew Pettis was a bad matchup for him so he didn't want the fight. He probably nutted on himself when TKZ was announced as his new opponent.

1a1 site profile image

9/16/13 6:25 PM by 1a1

Hominick was nowhere near finishing Aldo come on.

RockMeAmadeus site profile image

9/16/13 5:44 PM by RockMeAmadeus

Tries to duck Pettis@FW, ducks Mendes II, ducks Pettis@155..........Supports fights with TKZ and Lamas.............= QUACK! QUACK! QUACK!

AlexinTO site profile image

9/16/13 10:54 AM by AlexinTO

I guess if you can get up from one it guarantees you get up from them all?So with your logic Mark Hominick should have never kept trying for takedowns when he fought Also even though he almost finished Aldo in the 5th round when he was on top due to a takedown......Just think about it.Dipshit!

hogh20 site profile image

9/16/13 9:10 AM by hogh20

Heh, Aldo stuffed all of his takedowns? Except for the one where Aldo was hanging onto the fence, right? All it takes is one to change the fight! Ask Shogun if one takedown changed his first fight against Coleman. I think Mendes takes Aldo's head off in their rematch.

Arecsa site profile image

9/16/13 1:41 AM by Arecsa

Of course Mendes hasnt fought anyone since the first Aldo fight, everytime he gets matched up with someone they pull out and the UFC has to scramble to get someone on 2 weeks notice.

Jackson_Junior site profile image

9/16/13 1:36 AM by Jackson_Junior

Hey dipshit do you also remember Mendes eventually getting his takedown which Aldo sprung back up from right away?

bjj red belt site profile image

9/16/13 12:21 AM by bjj red belt

I can agree with Aldo's logic but I think Mendes beats Swanson or Lamas at this point. Imo he's the best fighter at 145 not named Jose Aldo.

OregonChaelClosedDueToBandWagonCrash site profile image

9/16/13 12:14 AM by OregonChaelClosedDueToBandWagonCrash

Tiger woods beats aldo at golf alsoReal talk

caseharts site profile image

9/15/13 11:51 PM by caseharts

No cubs ko was from a double knee. And yes it's my opinion that Chad handles lamas but he's beaten more and better people

MMA apparel and training equipment
BLACK FRIDAY