Jones encouraged by, not jealous of FMJ payday

Floyd Mayweather Jr. was famously guaranteed $40.5 fighting Canelo Alvarez Saturday night, and may make as much as $100,000,000. Unflattering comparisions have been drawn between the FMJ's pay and that of the top fighters in MMA. However, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones however was and encourage, not jealous.

"It's ridiculous," said Jones recently, adding "in a good way."

"His swagger, his work ethic shined through. It's great to see a champion show his heart and his winning ways. It's great to see a champion get what he deserves. That really, really encourages me."

"Boxing has been around over 100 years. The foundation is set and the money is there. MMA is so new. You can't just expect to be paid, if we're going to be paid $40 million, what is the UFC going to make? Floyd is his own production. We're a fairly new sport. I'm grateful for the money I make. As a 26-year-old I could never imagine being in this position."

"I don't think money is the key to life, or happiness. Would it be nice? It would be great to be paid the way other athletes will be paid. Doing my part, paydays closer to that, hopefully I'll be the guy to get us there through hard work, longevity.

"Doing something you love, to make millions of dollar of doing it, it's an honor. I don't want to come off ungrateful. I'm happy. I'm extremely happy. ... Hopefully we get there, hopefully I"m the one who gets us there. I'm not going to judge my happiness on someone else's accomplishments."

Jones fights Alexander Gustafsson on Saturday at UFC 165 in Toronto.

Read entire article...

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

tags: UFC   Jon Jones (detail)

Chris27 site profile image

9/18/13 1:12 PM by Chris27

Jones is making 7 figures a fight.

Macedawgg site profile image

9/18/13 12:57 PM by Macedawgg

The ability to issue their own titles AND require exclusivity results in a market where no bidding occurs.  Promoters don't have to compete--just stifle.

Macedawgg site profile image

9/18/13 12:57 PM by Macedawgg

*duplicate

Brian J DSouza site profile image

9/17/13 5:48 PM by Brian J DSouza

Boxing has 17 weight classes and FOUR major titles (WBC, WBA, IBF, WBO). There are very few major champions who are PPV attractions. Understand that Andre Ward doesn't even fight on PPV and here are some of his purses: $1,367,500 vs Chad Dawson $900,000 vs Carl Froch (who made $600,000 + UK TV money) [Source: Dan Raphael] I'll delve more into this when I have time, but anyone who does real research will find that unknown or marginally known boxers can get better paydays than their relative equals (in terms of drawing power) in MMA. I am not saying that MMA fighters "deserve" or are "entitled" to more money. Just pointing out that the revenue to pay them more exists. MMA fighters lack the leverage or legislation that exists in boxing with competing networks, promoters and the Muhammad Ali act that allows them to earn more.

ssj site profile image

9/17/13 3:56 PM by ssj

in disclosed pay ;)its only 400k atm

RockyBullwinkle site profile image

9/17/13 3:54 PM by RockyBullwinkle

My point is that people often look at the how little the prelim boxers are making compared to those in the UFC and think man MMA is that much better. Take a look at last year's Martinez-Chavez cardChavez $3 milMartinez $1.4 milRigondeux $150kMarroquia $100kMacklin $85KAlcine $65kMartinez $50kLee $50kBeltran $25kOmotoso $10kJackson $8,500Sosstre $7,500Nelson $6,500Medina $6,000Winchester $5,000Paul Harness $2kPaul Harness is getting paid crap compared to a UFC prelim fighter. but what people ignore is that Harness entered his fight 4-3 and was basically a club/regional fighter filling out the card. On top of that no one taping his fight, or airing it so it wasn't like the promoters were making money off him like on a FS1 prelim card for which the UFC gets paid.The other thing people miss is that the UFC is basically it as far as MMA paychecks go. They pay good compared to other MMA promotions but they are also probably 75% of all the halfway dexent checks in all of MMA. For boxing there is at least options outside of HBO/Showtime in Europe or Mexico and on ESPN and NBC where at least the top few fighters get decent purses. In MMA it's UFC, maybe a few in Bellator and then a handful of fights spread around the globe but even internationally it is almost all UFC. There just isn't as many options. Paul Harness was 4-3 going into his fight, which was never even aired.

LILBROCK site profile image

9/17/13 3:54 PM by LILBROCK

I would agree with this, which is why I asked because you said in your first post that "by the time he retires, he'll be scratching in the $1M range at best." The guys is 26 years old. I was confused why you'd think he'd only be making $1M a fight in possibly 5-10 years when he makes more now. I bet right now he's pulling $1- $2.5M per fight from the UFC alone. That's around $3- $7.5M per year not including his Nike or other endorsements. I can't imagine Nike is any less than $1M per year.

FrankGotch site profile image

9/17/13 3:21 PM by FrankGotch

I agree. Nowhere did I say the top 2 are the only ones who paid in boxing. 100K is still a lot of money compared to the purse for an average UFC fighter, though, which is my point -- that the amount of money a boxer makes on an undercard is a sharper drop off compared to a mma fighter. Again, you're leveraging the argument to your favor by taking the biggest PPV boxing has to offer. Take a boxing bout that doesn't have a Mayweather and print out those purses. Find a boxing card whose PPV buys are similar to a particular UFC card and then compare.I found a link that displays some purses from boxing and a UFC card. http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/3/15/2053137/examining-pay-structure-in-boxing-and-mmaThe author shows that the dropoff is more substantial in boxing but it's fair. The drop from the top to the undercard in mma is not as significant, it's more in the middle. That's all I'm saying.

SJBenoist site profile image

9/17/13 3:20 PM by SJBenoist

Let's look at a Boxing PPV that doesn't have PBF headlining:Rios Vs. Abril, April 2012(Top Rank Boxing, Mandalay Bay)Rios: 450,000Abril: 100,00Alvarado: 95,000Herrera: 20,000Gesta: 25,000Cuero: 8,000Flores: 2,500Mitchell: 1,000Crawford: 6,500Gorges: 5,000Zewski: 8,500Baue: 6,000Flores: 2,500Medina: 1,000Williams: 1,500Aguiano: 2,000

RockyBullwinkle site profile image

9/17/13 3:16 PM by RockyBullwinkle

In boxing the headliner of every event are making more than their MMA equivalents. For an HBO main card Mike Alvaredo got around $650k and Brandon Rios got $1.3 mil to headline it. For ppvs both fighter in the main event are making more than any fighter in the UFC is. So the top definitely pays more.For the middle tier fighters it's not that clearcut. Most boxing cards only broadcast the top 3 or 4 fights and those fighters usually make as much as most MMA fighters. $20k - $200k for those on HBO or Showtime. The prelim fighters make nothing for most boxing cards but they're more like what Strikeforce used to do in that they are using almost regional talent since they'll never see airtime.There's also seems to be a lot more opportunities for medium purses in boxing overseas and on things like NBC boxing and FNF on ESPn where outside of the UFC there's really only Bellator and a few other small promotions to get paid from.Overall, both pay structures suck, but for the boxers they are definitely getting a big slicer of the pie.

MMA apparel and training equipment
BLACK FRIDAY