Jones: Glover not ready, Cormier undeserving, Gustafsson has holes

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones fights Alexander Gustafsson on Saturday at UFC 165 in Toronto. If he beats Gustafsson, he is looking next at Glover Teixeira, with Daniel Cormier perhaps next in line. Jones does not seem to like what he sees very much.

Glover was damned with faint praise.

"I thought he showed signs of being a high-level fighter," said Jones recently. "I don't think he's ready to beat me. I thought he showed signs, being punched that hard by Bader shows me where he's at. No matter what your excuse is, it still happened. If you're a seasoned vet and you said you allowed overconfidence to be your weakness, it's still a weakness you allowed to happen in the first place. If you have a great opponent and great understanding, then you won't rush into a guy like Ryan Bader who is obviously going to swing big, looping punches at you. I don't think he's the guy who's going to beat me."

Cormier was pretty much just damned.

"To be honest with you, I don't think Daniel Cormier really deserves a big fight," said Jones. "I don't respect him as a person. I think fighting me would be an opportunity of a lifetime for him. I don't think I have much to gain from beating Daniel Cormier because no one knows who he is, and he hasn't really proved much."

"He seems to really not like me and be a big hater of mine. It's sad, considering we're both African-American and there's not many of us in the sport. We should try to find a common bond. We don't need to be friends, but we should at least respect each other. It's pathetic that me and Rashad have such a bad relationship and me and Daniel have such a bad relationship."

Glover Teixeira, who Jones fights Saturday at ufc 165 live on PPV curiously got a far less withering review.

"I thought he showed signs of being a high-level fighter," said Jones. "I don't think he's ready to beat me. I thought he showed signs, being punched that hard by Bader shows me where he's at. No matter what your excuse is, it still happened. If you're a seasoned vet and you said you allowed overconfidence to be your weakness, it's still a weakness you allowed to happen in the first place. If you have a great opponent and great understanding, then you won't rush into a guy like Ryan Bader who is obviously going to swing big, looping punches at you. I don't think he's the guy who's going to beat me."

Read entire article...

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Attila site profile image

9/19/13 10:52 PM by Attila

I'm saying that beating a 250 lb Barnett is more impressive than a 205 lb Machida (who was 1-2 in has last 3 fights), absolutely yes. I think Jones would probably be the favorite if he bulked up to heavyweight and fought Barnett, but I'm very confident the odds would be closer than they were with Machida (-440 +350). You really think Jones would be a bigger favorite than -440 against Barnett?

Strykr619 site profile image

9/18/13 9:44 PM by Strykr619

I think people are either forgetting or don't know about the whole award show drama where Cormier got mad and started trash talking JBJ because Jones did "acknowledge" Cormier's wrestling background. Cormier started this drama yet people shit on Jones for it. Fuck any pre-madonna idiot who gets mad because people "don't recognize the skills"Cormier wants people to faun over his wrestling cred but couldn't even make weight without almost killing him self and in the process embarrassing the US team. Rank amateur shit.

Bipolar site profile image

9/18/13 8:03 PM by Bipolar

I hope you're not trying to imply that Jones is anywhere near the combat athlete as the Model is.

ajjr0ller site profile image

9/18/13 7:40 PM by ajjr0ller

No doubt, those wins are very impressive. I'm not trying to knock Cormier for a lack of quality wins. I just don't consider him a tournament winner. His fight with Monson happened before Overeem was removed from the tournament, so Cormier didn't exactly fight for his spot per sé but he deserved to be in there regardless. Either way, it's kind of silly to call a years worth of fights a tournament.

DarkHelmet site profile image

9/18/13 7:08 PM by DarkHelmet

Jones get in the f@cking boat and start rowing

SQUEEZIE site profile image

9/18/13 6:25 PM by SQUEEZIE

yea i was talking about any one of those wins are equal are more impressive.are you saying because Barnett is bigger its more impressive?does jbj beat barnett if he bulked up?does dc beat gustaf,chael,machida,rashad,etc. at 205?obviously we dont kno for sure.but imo bones beats bigfoot, barnett,mir, and nelson too if he wanted to add weight and strength.

Attila site profile image

9/18/13 5:17 PM by Attila

Did you even read what I wrote? I said beating Barnett is more impressive than any of Jones' *particular* victories (not his run as a whole). Who would you put above a 250lb Barnett? Machida? Rashad? Yes, those are impressive victories, but to say they're more impressive than Barnett is ridiculous.

Rambo John J site profile image

9/18/13 4:53 PM by Rambo John J

He said more of the same shit on Jim ROme interview today. He sounded real butthurt by DC, saying he did not hespect and that he would make him cut to 205 to punish him. If JJ was really such a all time legend, why not go fight DC at a higher weight, he could leave his precious belt at home. Also said he handled the short notice chael fight exactly how he would today, like a chikenshit.

SQUEEZIE site profile image

9/18/13 4:50 PM by SQUEEZIE

that a great win but lol at it not being debatable. he beat a former champ, who was champ 11yrs ago. jbj beat 5 and 4 in a row,who were more recent champs.he did it more impressively and dominantly. wich is saying something because dc was pretty impressive and dominate him-self(minus the impressive part in the mir fight). so id say its debatable, and that's not even debatable.

Rambo John J site profile image

9/18/13 4:49 PM by Rambo John J

JJ sounds like the hater.

MMA clothing and gear