Miesha: Rousey filled Baszler's head with weakness

Miesha Tate recently published her second blog on Yahoo. In it she details Julianna Pena vs. Shayna Baszler, her kind words for Baszler after the fight, and how Ronda Rousey's coaching 'sucks.'

On the last episode of The Ultimate Fighter, my friend and No. 1 pick Julianna Pena defeated my rival coach Ronda Rousey’s No. 1 pick – and probably a lot of people’s pick to win the female tournament – in Shayna Baszler.

What I didn’t know was that while I was preparing Julianna to fight the fight of her life, Ronda was filling Shayna’s head with weakness. When you go into a fight expecting it to be easy – and then you find it isn’t easy – you aren’t prepared mentally.

Julie hit Shayna really hard right away. That’s what I told her she had to do. A lot of people who fight Shayna do the pitty-patty feeling-out sTUFf because they respect what Shayna has done in her career so much. Bryan and I knew that Julianna needed to start fast and not allow Shayna to use her experience to slow things down and start looking to capitalize on any mistakes.

Julie had to go out there and be first, to hit her hard and shock Shayna out of any idea that Julie didn’t belong in there with her.

As you saw it was a great fight, and Julie not only won but subbed Shayna in the second round. Julie had to overcome some bad moments, but she was fully prepared to have things not go her way for a time, to get hurt, to be put in bad positions, and to fight through those situations. My fighter was prepared to fight, Ronda’s wasn’t.

Shayna, from what I saw, showed up to walk through someone she had no respect for. For Ronda to encourage her fighter to go in there expecting an easy time is basically instilling mental weakness in her.

Read entire article...

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC The Ultimate Fighter Team Rousey Hat

UFC The Ultimate Fighter Team Rousey Hat

snookerbank site profile image

9/19/13 8:28 PM by snookerbank

Taint is speaking the truth.

moonrunrs site profile image

9/19/13 8:09 PM by moonrunrs

I agree with Miesha Tate that Shayna did not take the opponent seriously enough. I don't know if that was real arrogance or hype to sell herself and the fight. Shayna's huge mistake was to try to try to kickbox against Julie and not take her down and submit her right away, before she got tired and rocked from the hits. Julie was strong and had good punches. Shayna has wild subs and could have won with a better gameplan.

dbon site profile image

9/19/13 7:55 PM by dbon

As if Miesha is one to talk... (To Caraway): "You can coast this next round, babe."

JeffersonDArcyChoke site profile image

9/19/13 4:43 PM by JeffersonDArcyChoke

The more this show goes on, the more Cat Zingano becomes "Who?". I know she was legit hurt but I find it hard to believe she won't be ready by December. It still reeks like pulling Grant for Pettis in his hometown and it seems convenient that the standby in both cases is a better draw and more salable personality.

buvaiser site profile image

9/19/13 4:03 PM by buvaiser

I wish I could fill miesha, ronda, and shayna....... with my inspiration.

sacredhate site profile image

9/19/13 3:59 PM by sacredhate

of course tate deserves to be there.if she didn't, she wouldn't be. Cat deserved it more, sure, but with that option off the table Tate is next in line....and she isnt' doing a poor job...quite the opposite.and plenty of strong competitors make weak coaches.a coach can't win or lose a fight, the fighter has too...but Tate's opinion is very valid in this case imo.

SOO72 site profile image

9/19/13 3:52 PM by SOO72

Tate doesn't even deserve to be there, she's in by default after the fighter that beat her to earn this coaching slot got injured.If you think Rousey is mentally weak given her accomplishments you aren't using your head. The first thing Rhonda told her team after that loss was about how they had some growing to do and to never walk into a fight so overconfident you lose focus. She had enough respect for Shayna to let her do her thing and also recognised that Shayna would probably be more resistant to a heavy handed approach to coaching her. I think she was right given Shayna's comments and high opinion of herself. You can only blame the coaches so much, in the end the fighters have to fight. Tate is just sturring shit as usual, trying to imagine ways that she's better than Rhonda because she'll never beat her in the ring.

B_Goetz site profile image

9/19/13 11:39 AM by B_Goetz

Ronda does come across as very weak-minded. Even her attempts to psychologically dominate people come across as childish and ridiculous.

Vindell site profile image

9/19/13 11:31 AM by Vindell

I am so looking forward to the next TUF. It could have Kimbo as the next coach and I would be more excited then this current TUF.

Zen site profile image

9/19/13 11:27 AM by Zen

Every coach should watch Chael, I loved how he helped mentally prepare his guys!

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!