Paul Taylor retires following years of injuries

Paul "Relentless" Taylor has not fought early in 2011, when took he took Gabe Ruediger out with a head kick at UFC 126. Four times since then he was scheduled to fight and each time injuries took him out of the game.

Eventually it was too much, and following another withdrawal-forcing injury, the lightweight has retired, at age 33.

Taylor had been scheduled to fight Anthony Njokuani at UFC Fight Night 30 in Manchester, England on Oct. 26. Taylor was replaced by Al Iaquinta.

“All his old injuries flared up in training,” a source told Fighters Only. “He’s very disappointed not to be fighting on the Manchester card but there’s nothing he can do, these injuries just won’t go away.”

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

tags: UFC   Paul Taylor (detail)

mestregruber site profile image

9/20/13 12:58 PM by mestregruber

Retirement is always negotiable in sports. Maybe he'll be back if he can get healthy.

Evzey site profile image

9/20/13 12:27 PM by Evzey

This suck ass

UGCTT_buchu8oolong site profile image

9/20/13 12:01 PM by UGCTT_buchu8oolong

That's too bad. Genuinely fun fighter to watch. Hope he finds a spot in the sport where we he can still be involved but his body doesn't have to take as big a toll. Could do a lot worse than seeing his thumbprint in some area of new crops of fighters. If that's not in his cards, wish him luck with what ever is.

RickStorm site profile image

9/20/13 11:05 AM by RickStorm

That's too bad, I really enjoyed watching him fight. Hope it's not too serious of an injury, I wish him well and a speedy recovery

Frames4Life site profile image

9/20/13 10:47 AM by Frames4Life

He should be retiring with Chris Lytle money, gutted for the lad.

TheHaunted2 site profile image

9/20/13 10:31 AM by TheHaunted2

Sad to see him go. True british talent that couldnt catch a break

IZASH INDUSTRY site profile image

9/20/13 10:28 AM by IZASH INDUSTRY

I had made my mind up not to go to the UK Card as soon as Bisping V Munoz was advertised as the main event. I felt confident that was the right decision, but the only thing making me have doubts was that Paul Taylor was back and was on the card. I feel so bad for the guy.Whenever I would get asked who my favourite fighters were, I would like to throw in Taylors name along with the rest because he was always great to watch.I'll miss hear Rogan say "if you wanna learn proper technique watch what this guy is doing" every time Taylor fought.Paul Taylor, thank you for the Chris Lytle fight at UFC 89.

InYoMommaCloset site profile image

9/20/13 10:07 AM by InYoMommaCloset

And 33 only.Pfff.I remember back in the day he said he was in this sport for the long haul.It must be devastating to have injuries get the better of you to the point where you're forced into early retirement.A heartfelt all the best with your future Paul. **Damn it's crazy.All the fighters that I watched growing up and getting into mma are slowing fading out.First Dan Hardy with his heart condition.Then Paul Kelly getting busted.Now Paul Taylor.Paul Daley is really the only one left from the first wave British era, and dammit Bellator just fucking dropped him too.

InYoMommaCloset site profile image

9/20/13 10:04 AM by InYoMommaCloset

Fucking CUNT!!Damn. One of my favorite fighters in the sport.I was delighted to hear he was reappearing on the Manchester card, and now he's gone totally.Sucks but, he gave us some great fights, and his last fight should definitely have won KOTN except of course they gave it to Anderson instead.

Heikki Mustola site profile image

9/20/13 9:29 AM by Heikki Mustola

I feel bad for him. one of my favorite fighters, very exciting and "relentless" indeed! Crazy pace. Hopefully he will have a good health now after fighting and manages to get by financiallyAll the best, Paul