Gustafsson: You have to finish the champ to take his belt

Jon Bones Jones @JonnyBones
That fight was just what I needed

Prior to UFC 165 Saturday night, the only proven way to beat Jon Jones was to lay bleeding and pray for an illegal 12-6 elbow.

Alexander Gustafsson showed another path is within reach, and he very, very nearly walked it to the title.

During the UFC 165 post show on Fox Sports 2 Gustafsson was the epitome of respect, as he called for an immediate rematch.

“I learned a lot from this fight," said 'The Mauler.' "He's the champ for a reason. To take the belt from the champ you need to finish him. That's how it is and I didn't do it. The biggest lesson is I have to push the pace harder. I just did what I thought I could do and it wasn’t enough. I will come back stronger and better. I’m disappointed, but I’m very proud of what I did and my team.”

And Gustafsson is enthusiastic about the prospect of a rematch, but was not demanding.

"Absolutely, I'm down whenever,'' said Gustafsson. "I want a rematch right away, if I can. It's up to the UFC. I'm just blessed to be fighting in the UFC. I believe it's an honor to fight Jones and I'll be ready whenever they call me."

What do you think UG?
•Was the unanimous judges' decision one you agree with?
•Should Gustafsson get an immediate rematch?
•Do you have to finish the champ to take his title?

Under Armour Sonic Compression Short With Cup Pocket

Under Armour Sonic Compression Short With Cup Pocket

UFC Ready for Battle Shirt

UFC Ready for Battle Shirt

omega 2013 site profile image

9/24/13 4:04 AM by omega 2013

Funny how almost no one who's paid to have an objective opinion agrees with you. Gus lost and you can make a real case for 49-46...

KingofBJJ site profile image

9/24/13 3:48 AM by KingofBJJ

Who walked away with the "W"?  Thank you.  Name calling can't help son.

KingofBJJ site profile image

9/24/13 3:48 AM by KingofBJJ

Who walked away with the "W"?  Thank you.  Name calling can't help son.

ChaosOverkill site profile image

9/24/13 12:37 AM by ChaosOverkill

Absolutely bottom of the barrel retardation.

js138 site profile image

9/23/13 10:45 PM by js138

But almost being finished doesn't help him keep it either. Had jones selected different follow up shots he may have ended it.It was a fun fight but jones fan or not, the most exciting edge of your seat part for the whole bar I was at was the end of round 4.

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe site profile image

9/23/13 10:40 PM by HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

I definitely think he got hurt, but I still think he won that rd. In my opinion, hurting somebody and winning the last 45 seconds, doesn't take the round from the guy that controlled it for 4:15 seconds.

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe site profile image

9/23/13 10:37 PM by HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

Obviously the judges can't score fights, that has been displayed a ridiculous amount of times. And in my opinion, he was working Jones, and could have only won by stopping the fight.

js138 site profile image

9/23/13 10:13 PM by js138

Yeah no shit.Gus had round 4 until he in fact got hurt and was in danger of being finished. Anyone denying that wish they had viking blood.

Jaybrone site profile image

9/23/13 8:13 PM by Jaybrone

I knew when the fight was going on that people would claim Gus was running. He was actually very aggressive. Just when he got in a spot he knew was not to his advantage he got the hell out and reset right back in the middle. He used excellent angles, movement, and footwork it was reminiscent of Condit in that in they both left their opponents completely flustered by not playing right into their gameplans.

KingofBJJ site profile image

9/23/13 6:45 PM by KingofBJJ

Huh?  Dominated?  Gus spent most of the time running from Jones, who pressed forward the entire fight.  You can't win a championship by running.  Fightmetrics show jones with 137 stikes and Gus with 110.  At that to agression and ring control, which is also what judges look at.  Jones is the victor. NO rematch.