Jones vs. Teixeira next on Superbowl weekend in NJ

When Alexander Gustafsson gave Jon Jones the fight of his life Saturday night, an immediate rematch appeared to be in the offing.

Gustafsson wanted it.

“I’m down whenever," Gustafsson told Fox Sports late Saturday night. "I want a rematch right away if I can. It’s up to the UFC."

The UFC appeared amenable.

"Who doesn't want to see this rematch?" said UFC president Dana White.

Even Teixeira didn't appear ready to stand in the way.

"It is the way it is," said Glover. "I'm not going to say that he doesn't deserve a rematch. It was a phenomenal fight, and we'll see what happens."

Everything appeared to be set, and the odds makers called Gustafsson an underdog, although with lower odds than the first time.

Then Jon Jones watched the rematch. Again and again, a reported ten times in all, and decided that he won the fight decisively, and that a rematch was not immediately necessary.

Ariel Helwani on UFC Tonight Wednesday, and explained.

"Right after the fight, [Jones] thought the most fair thing to do was to grant Alexander Gustafsson a rematch," said Helwani. "Now, after watching the fight over ten more [times], Jones thinks he decisively won rounds two, four and five and that he decisively won the fight, so the most fair thing to do is to move on."

White confirmed to ESPN.com on Wednesday that Jones' next title defense would be the #1 contender, 33 year old former member of the Brazilian National Wrestling Team, Glover Teixeira.

"That's what the champ wants," White said. "We'll probably have that fight on the Super Bowl card in New Jersey."

And what of Gustafsson?

"Around the same time of the Jones-Teixeira fight, Gustafsson will fight in Sweden," said White. "I don't have an official date for that yet."

The UFC released a statement from Jones.

"I said before the fight my sights were set on breaking the record," said Jones. "I want to crush the record. I want to beat the record so bad it can never be broken.

"I'm going to fight Glover and I will answer all the critics about the Gustafsson fight. I will fight Gustafsson after I fight Glover. I won the fight but I look at it as a blemish on my record because some people think I didn't. I promise you, he will be next."

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

Under Armour Sonic Compression Short With Cup Pocket

Under Armour Sonic Compression Short With Cup Pocket

flipmode site profile image

9/27/13 8:29 AM by flipmode

Glover going to get clowned.He is slow, plodding, throwing hooks, with a little bit of bjj... thats about it.

Forward site profile image

9/26/13 9:29 PM by Forward

HATE to say it. What is Glover gonna do? this fight is a walk in the park for Jones. Glover is tough as F&^Ked but that's not gonna win him fight. This is almost a warm up fight for Jones. Of course I hope i am wrong and that Glover proves me sooo wrong. FIGHTING JONES RULES: Rule one: do not get taken down. Rule 2: avoid the elbows. Rule 3: avoid the long kicks. and then HOW CAN U BEAT JONES????

buckshot44 site profile image

9/26/13 9:17 PM by buckshot44

What a load of bullshit.

KOdClowning site profile image

9/26/13 9:10 PM by KOdClowning

gus deserves an immediate rematch, bar none. They will match Gus up with a bad matchup, like rashard or mestewy....

The Brool Story Company site profile image

9/26/13 8:28 PM by The Brool Story Company

lol@Cutman putting Fael in there. Glover would starch Chael. give me a fucking break. and Shogun? LOL.

Mihow site profile image

9/26/13 8:27 PM by Mihow

you two fucks, christpeople bitch about rematches, than they bitch when rematches dont happenI am 100% happy their is no immediate rematch for no damn reason. Let the feud stew for a bit

Ironhouse site profile image

9/26/13 8:25 PM by Ironhouse

Dana likes to gamble, which IMO is why he loves MMA so much, every match up, every card, it's all gambling in a way. Here they are gambling that Jones and Guss both win again then rematch because that will end up getting more buys than an instant rematch.I have to say this one seems like a pretty good bet, then again this is MMA.

attjack site profile image

9/26/13 7:20 PM by attjack

Good call. Mousasi should fight Gustaffson. Cormier should get a decent but not great opponent to get his feet wet in the new division.

RKing85 site profile image

9/26/13 4:11 PM by RKing85

Really glad that Glover is getting the next shot and they are not doing an immediate Gustafsson rematch.Right call made my the UFC here.

Silverball site profile image

9/26/13 4:09 PM by Silverball

Does anybody know what kind of numbers UFC 165 did (allegedly)? Maybe it did better than expected, so from a business standpoint it might make sense to try to get an extra fight or two from Jones before subjecting him to another night like he experienced last Saturday, which is much more high risk than the Glover fight would appear to be? Just speculating for those that are wondering why not a rematch when so many fans thought Gus was robbed in the first fight (Personally, I wouldn't call it robbery).I'm a Glover fan, and I think he has some of the tools that could get him a victory against Jones, but it's going to be a long way up the mountain in order for that to happen. After his last performance, I began to wonder if Glover waited too long before signing with the UFC? On the other hand, an off night for Glover still resulted in a first round KO victory, which goes to show how high the expectations are for him.

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!