Deceased fighter reportedly took diuretics to cut weight

Nova Uniao flyweight fighter Leandro "Feijao" Souza passed away while cutting weight Thursday for Friday's Shooto Brazil 43 card in Rio de Janeiro. He was 26 years old.

Souza reportedly passed out in the sauna, and was transported to the hospital, where he was declared dead. He had two pounds to go to make weight.

Now a report has come out that he used the diuretic Lasix to help him cut weight.

"I didn’t know he was taking that," the fighter’s aunt, Elma Caetano told Extra on Saturday. "Two kids that train with him told me that (he was taking Lasix)."

Several sources told MMAFighting.com that Souza took three diuretic pills on Wednesday and four on Thursday, and he was two pounds over the limit when he passed out inside a sauna. He got the fight on short notice and had to lose 33 pounds in one week.

Diuretics are banned in MMA, but Brazilian promotions don't run drug tests before the fights. In general, most of the MMA promotions in Brazil only require blood exams for diseases like hepatitis and AIDS.

Read entire article...

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Under Armour The Original Boxerjock 3in Trunk

Under Armour The Original Boxerjock 3in Trunk

Moskova M2 Boxer Brief

Moskova M2 Boxer Brief

tags: Leandro Souza   Feijao

dhughes site profile image

9/28/13 8:46 PM by dhughes

I guess it wasn't possible. :(

Count Cohiba site profile image

9/28/13 8:26 PM by Count Cohiba

Stuffs bad news. Killed a few famous bodybuilders back in the day. Poor kid.

Whambo site profile image

9/28/13 8:06 PM by Whambo

Think about the scenes on TUF where you had guys being dragged into the Sauna etc. This shit ain't safe.

I LOVE GSP site profile image

9/28/13 8:01 PM by I LOVE GSP

sad. I agree it seems the coach shouldn't have offered the fight to him.

Thunderhorse site profile image

9/28/13 7:26 PM by Thunderhorse

In MY experience, Brazilian culture is...different. If someone coaches you they're your "dad". They tell you what to do and when to do it. Especially if you're young you have no choice, they're doing you a favor by coaching you and allowing you in the gym and you're the asshole if you don't do what they want or appreciate them enough. I admittedly don't know the specifics of this situation, just commenting on my experience with Brazilians.Also besides being offered test multiple times I've been offered prescription diuretics. A lot of people don't seem to have a problem with PEDs.

TheWolf88 site profile image

9/28/13 7:23 PM by TheWolf88

It is

Steve4192 site profile image

9/28/13 6:53 PM by Steve4192

YepAndre definitely should bear some of the blame here. He never should have offered the guy the fight. It's doubly damning because as his coach, he should be looking out for the guy's career and health. Booking him in last minute fight that required him to cut 20% of his body weight in a week is NOT looking out for the guy.

crowbar site profile image

9/28/13 6:16 PM by crowbar

I remember hearing that Lasix is used to stop internal bleeding in horses when I was at the race track.

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe site profile image

9/28/13 6:09 PM by HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

Never mind, it says that in the article. Yeah, I don't see how he can say it had NOTHING to do with cutting weight. Even if it were a stroke, I'm sure that cutting a massive amount of weight didn't help.

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe site profile image

9/28/13 6:05 PM by HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

I'm pretty sure thhe promoter is his coach, André Pederneiras.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!