Michael "The Count" Bisping underwent eye surgery for a detached retina in June following an inadvertent eye poke during his fight with Alan Belcher at UFC 159 on April 27.
Last week he reinjured the eye and was forced to withdraw from a main-event bout against Mark Munoz on Oct. 26 in his hometoen of Manchester, England. Bisping will be replaced vs. Munoz by former UFC lightheavyweight champion Lyoto Machida, who is dropping down to middleweight. Machida had been scheduled to fight Tim Kennedy on Nov. 6, who responded by calling out the entire middleweight division.
Bisping's manager said that corrective surgery won't be necessary, but the Count expects to be sidelined for at least five to six months.
In an interview with Gareth A Davies, Bisping offered sincere apologies to the fans.
“I am devastated for everyone who bought tickets to see me fight Munoz," said Bisping. "I am so sorry for the fans, I really am. I am disappointed for myself too, but my first thoughts are with the fans who have made sacrifices to come and see me in Manchester."
"I can only apologise to them, and to the UFC. I have been training so hard for this fight, that I just cannot believe I will not step into the Octagon in Manchester. But I promise my fans I will be back real soon."
“It will still be a great night for the UFC fight fans as Lyoto Machida will take my place. So go to the Phones4U Arena and still have a great time.”
Bisping is hoping he will be able to come over the Manchester as a guest fighter and says he is "looking forward to meeting the fans and shaking their hands" and "supporting other British fighters in the card."
Read entire article...