Anderson Silva: I'd give up title before fighting Machida or Jacare

During a Q&A at the UFC 168 World Tour: Rio earlier this week, former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva hardened his stance on not wanting to fight Brazilians. With Lyoto Machida and Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza being strong contenders for the middleweight title, their names naturally came up.

"I’m a man with honor," said Silva, as transcribed by B/R. "I’d never fight Jacare or Lyoto. I’d even stop fighting just not to fight them."

"Jacare is a guy that has been doing a great job and can earn a title shot. Lyoto is a close friend, a great athlete, and we train together, just like Jacare."

"If we get to a point where we’d have to fight, I’d even give up the title."

Silva has a rematch with current UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman at UFC 168 on Dec 28.

Venum Competitor Brazil Inspired Dry Fit Shirt

Venum Competitor Brazil Inspired Dry Fit Shirt

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

ausgepicht site profile image

10/2/13 10:27 PM by ausgepicht

Wow! Weidman hit him so hard, he hasn't recovered and still thinks he has the belt!

MasterofMartialArts site profile image

10/2/13 10:26 PM by MasterofMartialArts

See Rampage/Hendo.But you're right. Pretty much all of the matches we've gotten with friends or ex friends, the fight isn't exciting at all.I wish more would do like them.

KingofBJJ site profile image

10/2/13 10:23 PM by KingofBJJ

Famous last words.  Weidman beat an injured Champion who shouldn't have fought.  The only thing that I see is your handle being used effectively against you after Weidman's defeat.  A la "LOL".   I hadn't really checked his background, but if he indeed lost to notorious Brazilian fighters Lyoto, Vitor and Jacre and some how pulled off the win against king of the Brazilians, you'd have to be deaf, dumb and blind not to see something was wrong.   In any sense, we'll see come fight night.  No one expects you to show up to take your lumps like a man.

Meohfumado site profile image

10/2/13 8:14 PM by Meohfumado

Well, that's why I said the first sentence. I'm admitting my lack of understanding on the matter, and asking for clarity on the situation.For me sports have always been about competition and testing oneself, and one's abilities. Thus champions should face all comers.But I guess if worry over hurting a friend, or if hatred of an opponent (or at the very least indifference) is required for the mental preparation of the sport, I guess I can see this being an issue.It's just I've seen plenty of other athletes who have no problem putting the hurt on a friend if their job depends on it. I'm talking boxers, hockey enforcers and football highlight reel hitters whose job descriptions most definitely included "hurting" opposing players.

Strykr619 site profile image

10/2/13 8:09 PM by Strykr619

The only person i see getting destroyed again is Anderson, 2 round submission this time.

ssj site profile image

10/2/13 7:54 PM by ssj

mma is all about hurting each otheryour first sentence was where you should of stopped

BengalWACO site profile image

10/2/13 7:34 PM by BengalWACO

You make a very good point VTFU.

NugInPuss site profile image

10/2/13 7:29 PM by NugInPuss

GSP - CanadaRory Macdonald - Canada

iCameiLostiRetiredDiaz site profile image

10/2/13 7:19 PM by iCameiLostiRetiredDiaz

He doesnt even have a title to give up, nor will he after the weidman hematch

guardbr8kr site profile image

10/2/13 6:56 PM by guardbr8kr

GSP can make some more GSP money with this fight.