Chuck Liddell is not impressed with GSP's performance

Former UFC light heavyweight champion and Hall of Famer Chuck Liddell appeared on ESPN's SportsNation on Tuesday for a wide-ranging interview.

Asked how the sport had changed since his 2010 retirment. In sum, Liddell is not impressed with GSP's perfomance.

"I think some people make complaints about some of the champions playing it safe," said Liddell. "I understand it, but I don't want to watch it. I think St-Pierre is a great fighter. He's awesome... I just don't like watching him play safe. And he fights safe. I mean against Diaz he spiral rode him for half the fight. I don't like watching that.

"Now, for him to able to do that to guys that are at that level is impressive. But it's not exciting to me. And the way they chose the fight. I mean 'I've been beating this guy up for four rounds, I'm still just gonna win the last round. I'm not gonna try to finish him. I'm not gonna go after him. I'm not gonna take any risks.' From a coaching standpoint and a manager's standpoint, I understand. It makes sense. It's big money now. But from a fan's standpoint, I don't want to watch it, [not] unless I think he's fighting someone that can make him fight. I actually think this next fight coming up, I'm excited, he's fighting Johny Hendricks and I think Hendricks is going to make him fight."

How about it UG? Do you like watching George St-Pierre fight smart?

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Affliction GSP Royal Guard UFC 167 Walkout Shirt

Affliction GSP Royal Guard UFC 167 Walkout Shirt

Porkchop site profile image

10/7/13 7:45 AM by Porkchop

Fair point. But he isn't always more exciting to watch.GSP has out wrestled wrestlers, he has out grappled skilled grapplers like BJ Penn and Nick Diaz recently, and he out-struck Thiago Alves and Dan Hardy, along with pretty much everyone he fights.He just hasn't finished his fights lately.The difference is that every once in awhile Anderson doesn't fight at all really.

Herman Munster site profile image

10/6/13 4:45 PM by Herman Munster

Was just watching two "old school guys" engage in 5 rounds of real "action"  Anyone having a hard time getting to sleep tonight to get up for Monday morning I suggest you go watch Kevin Randleman vs Pedro Rizzo at UFC 26.  Oh the days where old school guys used to be so much more fun to watch.  What a classic 5 round action packed fight for the ages that was. Those who criticize GSPs style clearly have no concept of what has always been a part of this sport.  It's also too bad the UFC can't find one fighter good enough to beat just a mere athlete who holds the crown at 170.  Also a poor reflection of mma that it doesn't take more than just a very good athlete to reach the top of the sport.

JLFoster site profile image

10/6/13 4:22 PM by JLFoster

And GSP would destroy them all.

andyman011 site profile image

10/6/13 3:23 PM by andyman011

Some matchups end in boring fights. As in a striker who doesnt want to grapple vs a grappler who doesn't wanna strike

Porkchop site profile image

10/6/13 12:46 AM by Porkchop

How about when he fought Patrick Cote, Thales Leites and Damien Maia?Re-open thread.

Ew0k187 site profile image

10/5/13 9:59 PM by Ew0k187

Anderson still has his brain and is way more exciting to watch. /thread

BubblesNS site profile image

10/5/13 6:07 PM by BubblesNS

The only thing left to say is it boring and selfish. If you want to save your brains, don't fight. Its fucking borrrrrrrring.

Porkchop site profile image

10/5/13 3:10 PM by Porkchop

I was Porkchop before it was mainstream son. As far as I'm concerned, you're just another member of my fanclub.

SporkChop site profile image

10/5/13 2:33 PM by SporkChop

So you're who registered "Porkchop" you name stealing shit pile

Porkchop site profile image

10/5/13 1:27 PM by Porkchop

It's not though. Pro wrestling is entertainment. This is athletics.Dana White always says it is entertainment but he is just saying that to let his fighters know that if he doesn't like your fight you will probably be let go. He wants exciting fighters and the fact is that if you fight in an "exciting" you are more likely to get brain damage and lose more often then less exciting fighters of equal ability. Dana wants exciting fights because it hooks people on MMA, but MMA isn't an entertainment business, it is an athletic business.Athletes are paid to compete and win, nothing more and nothing less.

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!