Palhares' Manager to Pierce: I encourage you to look past Rousimar!

UFC welterweight Mike Pierce is on a four-fight win streak since dropping a split decision to Josh Koscheck early in 2012. Hoping for a fight that breaks him into the upper echelons of the division, Pierce instead was matched with Rousimar Palhares, who is on a two-fight losing streak, and dropping from middleweight to compete at 170.

In an interview with ESPN's Brett Okamoto, Pierce said he is not happy with the match up.

“I’m pisseded off," said Pierce. "I want to start getting those main card fights against notable guys. Palhares has fought some tough guys. He’s got a little bit of credence to his name but I want to start working my up. This guy is coming off two losses and I’m on a 4-fight win streak. Typically, they don’t match up guys like that."

Pierce went further, citing Rousimar's failed test for PEDs following his fight against Hector Lombard in December of 2012.

"He tested positive for elevated testosterone levels, so this guy is definitely a cheat," said Pierce. "There’s no surprise. He’ll do anything to win because he’s either desperate or an a------."

In response, Palhares' manager, Alex Davis, came on the UG and

Dear Mike Pierce

From: AJDavis
Member Since: 1/1/01
Posts: 746

I saw your comments on Rousimar. Seems that you feel that he is beneath your level as a fighter. I would really like to encourage that! Look past Rousimar! He is no challenge for you! You surely deserve better opponents then himself! In the meanwhile, he is humbly training hard to give you his best!

Read entire thread...

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

GrotesK site profile image

10/2/13 6:13 PM by GrotesK

This match up isn't odd at all, sure his losses have been to contenders, but his biggest win is vs Aaron Simpson (who's another "prelim" fighter). This is a fight he needs to win and win decisively to get the attention he deserves.

FedorEmilioEstevez site profile image

10/2/13 5:52 PM by FedorEmilioEstevez

I think we all know Rousimar was suspended 9 months for elevated testosterone so it's not a matter of 'thinking' he's a cheat - he did cheat.Also, I don't think he said it was an 'easy' fight, just odd matchmaking, which it is.

FinestScotch site profile image

10/2/13 5:42 PM by FinestScotch

I agree with all things Pierce said.

Jacare's_Thunder_Buddy site profile image

10/2/13 5:32 PM by Jacare's_Thunder_Buddy

Which means hell probably get cut soon - UFC logic

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe site profile image

10/2/13 5:17 PM by HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

Mike is a very well spoken, logical and realistic guy. I'm not a huge fan of his style, but I like him and I'll be rooting for him.

MediumRareMistake site profile image

10/2/13 5:10 PM by MediumRareMistake

So he didn't get busted for PED's? That was the UFC lying? I don't think he's an easy fight at all but if you get caught CHEATING, then yes I think that makes you a cheater lol.

Carl Sonnen site profile image

10/2/13 5:08 PM by Carl Sonnen

Pierce is getting someone with a known name, even if on a losing streak and a confirmed headcase. If he beats Paul Harris, I suspect he will get what he wants. The fans like to see the animal, Paul Harris, unchained, just to see what happens, so the fight will be watched and Pierce has an opportunity to increase his visibility.

IBProfane site profile image

10/2/13 4:01 PM by IBProfane

This.

Aaron Becker site profile image

10/2/13 2:01 PM by Aaron Becker

this, it's fuckin ridiculous. His only losses are to former title contenders, it's far past due that he get's a top 5 guy and moves up the ranks to a TS

JStrongMMA site profile image

10/2/13 1:52 PM by JStrongMMA

I may be in the minority but I think Mike Pierce is tragically underrated. It is very obvious that he is not looked highly upon by UFC brass.

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!