Ben Rothwell fails PED test, warned by AC, suspended by UFC

UFC heavyweight Ben Rothwell has been suspended for nine months following a test that showed elevated levels of testosterone. In an usual step, the suspension came not from the regulating body, which in this case was the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services, but rather from the UFC itself. The Wisconsin AC had determined simply to issue an administrative warning.

Rothwell released a message to MMA Junkie on what transpired.

"Following my victory at UFC 164 I was informed I tested for an elevated level of testosterone," said Rothwell. "This came as a shock because I had applied for and was granted a TRT exemption and was doing so under the supervision of a doctor. I was tested every week for eight weeks prior to the fight and was well under the acceptable level each time.

"I had applied for TRT after an endocrinologist and Wisconsin athletic doctors diagnosed me with hypogonadism. They felt it was caused by a car crash in 1999 that left me with severe head trauma and in a coma. Doctors told me TRT was something that could stop the hypogonadism from degrading my body.

"After getting the news of the elevated test, I spoke with the Wisconsin Athletic Commission and they decided to give me an administrative warning. I was told they didn't think I tried to cheat, but felt some punishment was necessary.

"I have now been informed the UFC has elected to suspend me for nine months. I am not going to fight the suspension as I feel ultimately it is my responsibility to make sure I stay under the acceptable limit. I am deeply sorry for this mistake and apologize to my fans, family and friends."

Read entire article...

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

tags: UFC   Regulation   Ben Rothwell (detail)  Wisconsin

OGT site profile image

10/5/13 12:38 AM by OGT

Vera is getting the shaft with opponents who pop positive

Harmon Whistler site profile image

10/5/13 12:14 AM by Harmon Whistler

I have no idea.. I'm guessing the writer of that article doesn't know enough about what can be tested through a urine sample (I really don't know either) and just ran with the "Rothwell suspended for elevated levels of testosterone" title, instead of "failing the test for T:E ratio" (or w/e).   Bump for an answer.

whoabro site profile image

10/4/13 11:17 PM by whoabro

Yeah exactly. But the ufc isnt doing blood tests... So how/when did he get popped for test levels?

Frank Mir Cat site profile image

10/4/13 10:59 PM by Frank Mir Cat

I feel lied to, at the post fight presser he was crediting his new diet...

daba site profile image

10/4/13 9:57 PM by daba

So sick of all these TRT cheaters

Harmon Whistler site profile image

10/4/13 9:54 PM by Harmon Whistler

I would hope that the AC would call off the fight if one of the fighters is failing weekly tests.

Joeymarvelous site profile image

10/4/13 9:24 PM by Joeymarvelous

Is the Vera fight to be a NC then?

whoabro site profile image

10/4/13 6:53 PM by whoabro

Anyone have more details on exactly what he was popped for?If it was test level (not t:e ratio), that can only be determined by blood tests. Which would suggest that he was caught based on the weekly tests (which the AC presumably oversees?).If so, thats a great proof point for the notion that fighters on trt should have their levels randomly tested during camp.

TBidness site profile image

10/4/13 6:50 PM by TBidness

Here's the thing, the UFC wants to make an example of someone. They know that they're not losing anything financially by suspending someone such as Rothwell.He did follow all the right steps, and it seems strange he suddenly is above whichever level they test at.Either way, they wouldn't do this to a bigger draw.

JamesPowell site profile image