Roger Gracie responds to Royce criticism

It is widely held that MMA has developed from its Vale Tudo origins, drawing now from striking, BJJ, and above all, from wrestling. The Gracie family has been sometimes faulted for not keeping up with the changes in the sport.

However, in an interview with MMA Fighting's Guilherme Cruz, UFC Hall of Famer Royce Gracie took a contrarian sstance, arguing that the reason Gracie family fighters are not doing well is actually because they are cross training. The interview followed Roger Gracie's one-sided, three-round decision loss to Tim Kennedy, in a fight that saw Kennedy land 54 of 92 punches thrown, while Roger landed just 12 of 29.

"Jiu-jitsu is enough," said Royce. "I’ve trained boxing in the past to learn the distance, trained wrestling to understand how he would take me down, but I won’t get there to fight my opponent’s game. The guys from the family want to complement their game, like if jiu-jitsu was incomplete. I guess they forgot a little about history."

"Roger, like any other member of the family, is trying to learn wrestling, boxing. I believe in pure jiu-jitsu. That’s what I’ve done in the past. You have to go back to your roots and train Gracie jiu-jitsu."

Contacted by Cruz, Roger offered a defense that in part agreed with Royce.

"If you see my last fight, I only threw two punches in the whole fight," Roger told Cruz.

"If there’s something that I did do in that fight was jiu-jitsu, but I got tired and couldn’t do what I was planning to do. But that’s his opinion, right?"

What do you think UG? Do you still beleve in pure jiu-jitsu?

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

tags: UFC   Roger Gracie (detail)  Toyce Gracie

THERE WAS A GLITCH IN THE MATRiX site profile image

10/6/13 1:38 PM by THERE WAS A GLITCH IN THE MATRiX

UFC 5 Shamrock & Saku of 2000 would beat the hell out of alot of todays fighters, ecp WW and under, and Royce hung in there pretty well with both.

Bellator Fan site profile image

10/6/13 1:31 PM by Bellator Fan

He showed up but he was completely overpowered and demolished by a superior athlete. Hughes vs Gracie was a sign of things to come for MMA.

chew22 site profile image

10/6/13 1:06 PM by chew22

I've heard from Royce's own mouth that he didn't show up for the Hughes fight. Exact words.

submitbitch site profile image

10/6/13 1:00 PM by submitbitch

Royce in his prime would get his ass kicked by today's top fighters with his one dimensional thinking. He is lucky he was able to display BJJ back in the stone age of the sport. I fell sorry for the new generation of Gracie's trying to hold up the name when the old generation had it a lot easier.

KOdClowning site profile image

10/6/13 11:18 AM by KOdClowning

You don't know how "what" happened? You are questioning how Hughes beat Gracie on the ground? I think the weight difference, strength, and his wrestling base alone would give any skilled bjj'er problems , then add in Hughes' grappling background and the fact that Royce had ring rust and that should be the result we saw.

THERE WAS A GLITCH IN THE MATRiX site profile image

10/6/13 11:16 AM by THERE WAS A GLITCH IN THE MATRiX

I know some of you maybe havent thought about this. but maybe, just maybe, it was an off night or bad night for Royce! It was ONE Fight. No one ever tooled Royce like that before. If you have watched him fight you would notice the difference between the Royce who looked like a deer in headlights starting the Hughes fight vs the Royce who was Game and took Saku to an hour and a half. Fighters do have bad nights and get their ass's beat. this was the ONE TIME Royce got schooled. and Hughes used BJJ to do it. Considering the fact Royce asked for a rematch immediately and EVER SINCE, I give him more credit than that and know he could do much better. I still thought Hughes was gonna win, but that was not the Royce fighting we all know. I love the hater noobs who use this fight as a measuring stick for anything.

mynameisjonas site profile image

10/6/13 10:32 AM by mynameisjonas

Because Royce refused to train with anyone other than his own students and Master Nono. Word on the street at the time was that Ryron and Rener were super pissed that Royce didn't come train with them. I feel like Hughes would've won regardless, but maybe Royce would've looked better in defeat if he'd trained in Torrance instead of with his own brown belts.

The Winter Soldier site profile image

10/6/13 10:31 AM by The Winter Soldier

It's a bit of a troll thread, but I'll bite. Fact is, the average top 20 guy would kill Royce, in his prime.  BJJ is not even close to enough. It's a piece of the puzzle, not the whole puzzle. It was effective when no one knew about it.

Jasonbaldy site profile image

10/6/13 7:53 AM by Jasonbaldy

I am a Gracie BJJ nuthugger and a fan of Royce's early accomplishments. I think it is strange for Royce to state Gracie BJJ is all you need when you saw him training other martial arts and then try and employ that in later MMA fights with ZERO success. He was trying to outbox Hughes and when it went to the ground was destroyed. I still don't see how that happened but I know Hughes is no joke.

jcblass site profile image

10/6/13 6:22 AM by jcblass

reviews Royce vs. Matt Hughes for evidence of GJJ..

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!