Werdum: Overeem changed completely without PEDs

Alistair Overeem was widely suspected of PED use, and was caught and ultimately suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission in April of 2012. He has since voluntarily subjected himself to testing, and has been further tested by regulators.

However, Overeem lost his next two fights, to 'Bigfoot' Silva and Travis Browne.

Overeem fights Frank Mir at UFC 169 on Superbowl weekend. In an interview with MMAFighting's Guilherme Cruz, Fabricio Werdum, who lost a one-sided unanimous decision to Overeem in 2011, pulled no punches in saying why he thinks Overeem has faltered lately.

"He lacks a little bit in gas because of his steroids," said Werdum. "He changes a lot if you take his juice off. Everybody saw what happened. Overeem is one fighter with his juice, but he changes completely without the juice. They took his powers."

"Let’s see how he does against Frank Mir, if he changed his strategy or training. Frank Mir is not doing well recently too, but I believe Overeem will defend the takedowns and knock him out. Overeem is a good fighter, but let’s how he does without his juice."

"I don’t like Overeem very much. Not because of the fact that we fought, but I think he’s too cocky. But he’s a good fighter, a strong guy, a good striker. I respect him for everything he has done in MMA and K-1."

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

No Mas Pride Beanie

No Mas Pride Beanie

ShowtimeWreckedMyLeever site profile image

10/8/13 2:35 AM by ShowtimeWreckedMyLeever

Ref told Travis to defend himself, and improve his position. Travis then stood up, and knocked reem tfe fuck out.....Seems fairly standard to me.

LiMbTwIsTeR site profile image

10/8/13 12:18 AM by LiMbTwIsTeR

Wow

Dough Joe site profile image

10/6/13 7:46 PM by Dough Joe

*won

Chiron site profile image

10/6/13 7:30 PM by Chiron

Overeem has definitely been aided by PED's, but I think his cockiness and low fight IQ have had just as much of an impact in recent his losses. We all know a fair # of fighters who have tested clean on many occasions have used PED's to some degree or another. Reem is just the most obvious example and possibly abuses them more than most. He sure looked like he had both Bigfoot and Browne practically beaten, but he got wreckless. If he hadn't, he may well have won both those fights.

whoabro site profile image

10/6/13 5:56 PM by whoabro

Has any high-level guy been stopped as many times as reem? Some realllly brutal KOs in there too-- his brain must be scrambled

Bisping decisioned my SN site profile image

10/6/13 5:31 PM by Bisping decisioned my SN

Your a smart one

Mix6APlix site profile image

10/6/13 4:51 PM by Mix6APlix

Does Werdum post here? If so, please let me know so I can vote him up every day for calling Juicereem out.

playboyrichy site profile image

10/6/13 4:41 PM by playboyrichy

I speak fag. I think go fck yourself.

gloXxville site profile image

10/6/13 4:27 PM by gloXxville

Nothing pisses me off more than that failed PED test , but people need to get one thing clear. The amount of times this guy has stepped in the ring/cage to battle is unf*cking real , and you should take that into consideration before you hop on your one line bandwagons shitting on a fighter who has literally been through it all.

Eunuchorn site profile image

10/6/13 4:22 PM by Eunuchorn

He's always been chinny and with a suspect gas tank, PEDS or no. Maybe his strikes aren't as devasting now or something idk.