Mir: If cut by UFC, retirement a possibility

Alistair Overeem is on a two fight losing streak. Frank Mir has lost three in a row. The pair will fight at UFC 169 on Superbowl weekend.

UFC president Dana White is on record as saying this is a loser leaves town match. Frank Mir appeared on Monday’s edition of the MMA Hour, and said he wasn't entirely convinced.

"As far as the UFC wanted to release us, I’ve heard the same thing that Dana said absolutely, I find it hard to believe that they’re going to let Alistair to be picked up by another organization," said Mir. "I still think he could sell a ton of tickets. Myself? I keep my opinion to myself on me. I guess I would have to see what I’m selling afterwards."

Mir has no plans to retire, but said if he was released, it would certainly move him in that direction.

"Obviously I have no real desire to fight for another organization, so if I were to be let go that would be a huge step in the form of retirement," said Mir.

Read entire article...

No Mas Pride Beanie

No Mas Pride Beanie

Hayabusa Mirai Series Shin Guards

Hayabusa Mirai Series Shin Guards

Fox censored my Chael screen name site profile image

10/9/13 12:21 AM by Fox censored my Chael screen name

da Vinci81 I think the gap of pay between Mir and Overeem isn't significant to keep one if they lose but not the other if they lose. Also, sadly I believe by UFC's current standards they both are on the chopping block "justfully so" by UFC's standards.   Lastly, you did a great job of justifying yourself so you win this debate.

joevonaxeman site profile image

10/9/13 12:04 AM by joevonaxeman

100% agreed

da Vinci 81 site profile image

10/8/13 11:52 PM by da Vinci 81

He's come back notably from adversity twice: once against Brock in their first fight and also against nog in their second fight. I also don't think his contract is as big as overeem's to begin with so if he takes a cut it probably wouldn't be as harsh a one as overeem would have to take. (I could be wrong about mir's contract though).And he's also a former two time champ and that alone gives him more value than overeem has.

Kings21 site profile image

10/8/13 11:22 PM by Kings21

I cant really see Mir going to another org. He seems very much a company man and has had a good career. I'd like to see him get some commentating work. I guess if he's commentating I could see him going somewhere else though. That said, dude is gonna get wrecked by Reem.

Chris27 site profile image

10/8/13 11:11 PM by Chris27

If cut he goes to WSOF or Bellator.  both would pay him decent money, WSOF def would look to build their HW div up, they just signed Russow.  Bellator probably would take him as well.  They need name HW for Minakov/Volkov to fight.  GUys like Kongo and Mir fit that perfectly.

Fox censored my Chael screen name site profile image

10/8/13 11:01 PM by Fox censored my Chael screen name

How does your last 2 sentences not apply to Mir?

da Vinci 81 site profile image

10/8/13 10:35 PM by da Vinci 81

I can see Overeem being cut but not Mir. Overeem's value was built largely on the unbeatable monster myth he was creating coming in to the UFC and that's largely gone now. He's back to being the underachieving front runner who crumbles under adversity and his big contract will make it hard to keep him around. And I just don't think he'll take a big pay cut if it comes to that either.

CaptainAhab site profile image

10/8/13 10:21 PM by CaptainAhab

I don't like how those comments bode for Mir's chances vs. Overeem.

Sinful1 site profile image

10/7/13 7:34 PM by Sinful1

KOdClowning site profile image

10/7/13 7:15 PM by KOdClowning

I'd like to see Frank Mir pull guard. Mir could have put JDS into trouble if he just pulled guard. You are getting beat in the standup and your takedowns are getting stuffed. Pull guard.