Marquardt: Still time to do God's will in the UFC

Former middleweight Nate Marquardt, 34, fights former middleweight Hector Lombard in a welterweight clash on the FOX Sports 1 prelims of UFC 166 on Saturday. Marquardt sat down with UFC.com's Tom Gerbasi, and discussed his new outlook on life.

For the first time in his career, Marquardt has lost two in a row, a decision to a Tarec Saffiedine and a KO to Jake Ellenberger, but he thinks it part of God's plan.

“All those negative thoughts and questioning thoughts are going to creep in,” said Marquardt. “For me, it was a situation where I definitely shouldn’t have taken that fight on short notice, but that’s not why I lost. The reason I lost was I feel like God wanted to show me, ‘hey I’ve given you everything you have, and you’re not gonna do this on your own.’”

“I’ve tried to live my life in a way that God wanted me to, but over the years I grew away from God in my heart. I was still doing the same things, always trying to put my family first and still going to church and praying, but in my heart, my career started to grow as a false idol. I was always trying to gain that accomplishment of the title, and that started to become more important than God. I wish that realization would have come sooner, but I still have time to do God’s work in this sport, and it’s obviously still one of my goals to be the champion, and I definitely think it’s a very good possibility that that will happen.”

“I’m so strong and fast right now, and obviously the more experience you have the better you get technically, and as a fighter in the training room, I know how good I am, and I know that I can beat and should beat anyone in the world if you match us up on paper as far as skills, athletic ability, and experience,” he said. “But then I can lose to somebody who on paper I shouldn’t lose to, and then I lose two in a row like that, and to me, that’s just God saying ‘you can try as hard as you want, but if your heart’s not in the right spot, I’m not gonna let you have that.’"

Read entire article...

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

tags: UFC   Nate Marquardt (detail)

Atkinson site profile image

10/20/13 9:54 AM by Atkinson

If that's true god is a real POS.

Pitbull3744 site profile image

10/20/13 9:54 AM by Pitbull3744

That's what happens when you blaspheme lol

rookie29 site profile image

10/20/13 9:49 AM by rookie29

It's pretty obvious actually.Somebody in that town worshiped a different God, breaking one of the Ten Commandments. So God used the child as a tool to bring the town together so they can worship him exclusively.Can't you see everyone praying to God in the candlelight vigil? Without the child suffering a horrible death then some people might not be worshiping him.

Porkchop site profile image

10/20/13 12:52 AM by Porkchop

Nate should fight god. God obviously didn't want him to win. Dick.I guess Hector prayed harder/better.

JosselEmin site profile image

10/19/13 10:04 PM by JosselEmin

Jon Jones: LOL

GC111 site profile image

10/19/13 10:00 PM by GC111

ttt

Porkchop site profile image

10/19/13 9:33 AM by Porkchop

And god needs a win this Saturday from Nate cause he's been visiting bookies in Vegas!Go do gods work Nate. No, don't heal the sick and save those who are suffering.... Inflict suffering on Hector Lombard like a good christian because that is what god wants.

Atkinson site profile image

10/18/13 10:05 PM by Atkinson

What's gods reasoning when some innocent little kid is abducted and the entire community prays to god for months on end yet the kids badly abused body is eventually recovered in a shallow grave somewhere? I always wondered about this.

sadic1 site profile image

10/18/13 3:16 PM by sadic1

People who think and talk about God's role in their life are under more fire than usual these days, so I am happy for Marquardt to not be afraid to speak his mind. Philosophically speaking, God only cares that His followers learn what they need to learn and do what they need to do on his behalf, and sometimes that is accomplished with a loss, and sometimes with a win.

MMA clothing and gear