Why Cormier never mentioned Jones by name post fight

Daniel Cormier kept his record perfect Saturday night vs. Roy Nelson, in his last fight at heavyweight, before he drops to light heavyweight. In the cage Saturday, Joe Rogan asked Cormer what was next? Cormier's reply was curious in what he left out - no reference was made to UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, who fights #1 contender Glover Teixeira in March.

In an interview on the Fox Sports 2 post-fight show, Cormier explained why.

"I'm always shooting for the top," said Cormier, as transcribed by MMAMania. "You don't shoot for #2 or #3. I want to fight Jon Jones, I want to fight for the championship. There is no reason for me to call out anyone else. If there is someone else, I'll fight him.

"Put me in an important fight that's going to get me a championship fight. I'm 34 years old now and I'll be 35 in the New Year. This desk is starting to look pretty good. [I didn't call Jon Jones out by name] because it seems that him and Glover Teixeira are fighting. I'm not going to disrespect Glover, but I'd definitely jump at the opportunity to fight the champ."

"I went through a lot of things in my life. I'm about to get serious for a second. I've been through a lot of things. I lost a three-month old daughter, I lost my father, he got murdered when I was seven years old. Anything you put in front of me, I will get through it. My ultimate goal is to be UFC champion. I know what's inside of me, I know what I'm willing to go through to accomplish my goals... I can get through just about everything [for my family]. Just give me an opportunity."

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

The Legendary One site profile image

10/21/13 1:39 AM by The Legendary One

Munoz didn't train with Machida anywhere near as long as dc and Cain did. Plus Cormier knows Cain would whoop dat ass

Bucephalus site profile image

10/21/13 1:34 AM by Bucephalus

You really don't know how good he is do you? I'm going to guess that 1996 was the year you were born....

Bucephalus site profile image

10/21/13 1:32 AM by Bucephalus

No, but being friends with a friend makes you a friend. DC and Cain are friends.

SilverSpoon1996 site profile image

10/20/13 8:23 PM by SilverSpoon1996

I think DC gets smashed 8 of 10 vs Cain. I dont think he even beats Jones, maybe not even Gus. DC is pretty good, I am a fan, but he hasnt done anything near the extent of Cain, or Jones. Jones has beaten a lot of championship contender type fighters when he fought them. Cain has smashed everyone but JDS when he was injured. DC is very raw to me as far as MMA goes. He has a decent amount of fights but he still looks like a wrestler on the canvas, not a fighter. He KO'd bigfoot who has a suspect jaw, and fought to a decision most of his other fights. He is very strong for his size, he needs to work on his boxing/kick boxing.

JosselEmin site profile image

10/20/13 7:58 PM by JosselEmin

Training with a guy doesn't makes u 2 friends.But u shouldn't never fight a real friend, win or lose the relationship will never be the same.It happened to me twice with brothers I grew up with. No money can buy a true friend lost.

Bucephalus site profile image

10/20/13 7:41 PM by Bucephalus

It's not a debate. The guy is moving to 205. The question is which 205er.The answer is obviously whoever is champion.Cormier is the #2 heavyweight in the world.. moving to a lesser weight class. He should be given an immediate title shot.

HITMAN DAN DIAZ site profile image

10/20/13 4:11 PM by HITMAN DAN DIAZ

i really have no interest in watching 2 guys that train non stop together fight.   its one thing for guys that are friends or where friends and have trained together at one point of where in a camp or 2 together.

IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap site profile image

10/20/13 3:18 PM by IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap

Damn. Cormier on a war path. I pity the next foe to be paired against this warrior.

I submit cats site profile image

10/20/13 3:15 PM by I submit cats

This. If he can make 205, I'd rather see him vs Bones than Cain.

wink91wink site profile image

10/20/13 3:15 PM by wink91wink

DC is going to be more effective at 205 anyway, I have no problem with him going down.

MMA apparel and training equipment
MMA clothing and gear