Roy Jones Jr: I am taking tune up fight for Anderson Silva

Roy Jones Jr., 45, is an all-time great in boxing. Anderson Silva, 38, is arguably the all-time great in MMA. And the pair want to box each other, Silva sometimes almost obsessively so.

Now Jones, in UFC-s-anderson-silva" target="_blank">an interview with boxingnewsonline.com's John Dennen, says he wants a tune up fight with cruiserweight Bobby Gunn as a warm-up for "The Spider."

"If he beats Weidman, then we’ll do a boxing match, which is what he wants to do," said Jones. "The Gunn fight would give me a tune-up so I’m ready for the fight in case he beats Weidman. So if he beats Weidman, I’ve got to be ready for it because he’s going to be coming for me and I want to be ready when he comes for me. I want to give him what he wants."

"He said that's his lifelong dream. We've got to make that happen. He's a great striker and a great defender."

Jones is on a two-fight win streak, but is in the twilight of his career, winning just seven of his last 13 fights. Three of the losses were by knockout.

Jones of course has lost just once since 2006. He hopes to avenge the defeat at UFC 168 on Dec. 28. After that, could a boxing match with Jones really be in store?

For Silva the reasoning is simple - he has admired Jones for decades, and wants to test his boxing skills. Jones has never articulated why he wants to box Anderson Silva. Perhaps he thinks he thinks a win over the former and perhaps future UFC champion would resurrect his career or at least his profile, perhaps he wants to rep boxing in a boxing vs. MMA match up, or perhaps he thinks it is easy money.

In any case, both Jones and Silva are ferociously determined men, and seem determined to box each other. UFC president Dana White met with Jones in July at UFC 162: Silva vs. Weidman I, and was willing to entertain the idea. What do you think the odds of it happening are?

UFC Elite Series Open Face Headgear

UFC Elite Series Open Face Headgear

Elevation Training Mask 2.0 Matrix Sleeve

Elevation Training Mask 2.0 Matrix Sleeve

tags: UFC   Anderson Silva (detail)  Roy Jones Jr   Dana White

trblesum13 site profile image

10/24/13 12:44 AM by trblesum13

Jon Jones

trblesum13 site profile image

10/24/13 12:43 AM by trblesum13

I'd rather see Silva vs Jones.

circa305 site profile image

10/24/13 12:33 AM by circa305

Is Roy broke? I dont see why Silva needs to beat weidman for this to happen either. If he beats weidman there is going to be a trilogy and no fight with Jones.

FingerorMoon site profile image

10/24/13 12:24 AM by FingerorMoon

Dana using a ring at a UFC event for Anderson Silva is as likely as co-promotion with M1.

DaemonDragon site profile image

10/23/13 9:04 PM by DaemonDragon

I assume you're going off Boxrec.That is a different Anderson Silva. Boxrec has Anderson taking a boxing fight before his first MMA fight, which never happened. It's been confirmed that the boxrec records for Anderson are for a completely different person.Though I do believe even a washed up Roy should beat Anderson in boxing. Anderson isn't a boxer, he's a Muay Thai guy with skills perfect for MMA. In boxing I expect him to get beaten up by washed up RJJ.I don't see this happening. Can't see the UFC allowing this - it doesn't seem to be in their interests to risk Anderson losing.But, if it did happen, I think the only way would be a UFC event but with a ring instead of a cage - basically Pride style, all the undercard matches would be MMA rules but in a ring. Then the main event is Anderson vs. RJJ in a pure boxing match in a ring.

EddiePain420 site profile image

10/23/13 8:58 PM by EddiePain420

didnt someone say roy jones is a purple belt in bjj?

FingerorMoon site profile image

10/23/13 8:55 PM by FingerorMoon

Well I realize they haven't in the past ....Aren't there potential legal problems with doing what you're suggesting ?There is that famous clip of Dana talking about rumors Strikeforce fighters were asked to stand with Kimbo and him leaning into the camera yelling, 'That's fucking illegal!'He could claim 'well I didn't TELL them to only stand' ...but I'm not sure UFC wants potential problems since no one will believe Roy actually agreed to do an MMA match.

warez site profile image

10/23/13 8:25 PM by warez

If Anderson beats Roy, it doesn't prove anything. If Roy beats Anderson, it proves that MMA fighters are lightyears behind boxers (even former self).

EddiePain420 site profile image

10/23/13 8:15 PM by EddiePain420

true he did, they have way too many belts in boxing..the fuck

warez site profile image

10/23/13 8:08 PM by warez

He beat a guy who was 0-1-5 in his last 6 fights for the vacant UBO title. UBO? UFO? Intergalactic champion, IMO.

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!