GSP: I didn't want to piss off anybody

GSP has publicly stated that he would be submitting to a voluntary anti-doping program prior to his UFC 167 bout with Johny Hendricks. Originally Hendricks had agreed to the same program, but then withdrew and GSP aired his grievance not only with Hendricks, but also his employeer, the UFC with their unwilligness to work with the program. St-Pierre recently spoke again to the issue, giving his side to MMAJunkie.com:

Many wonder why St-Pierre would go out of his way for additional testing when he already has a lifestyle filled with distractions.

The extra burden is admittedly a nuisance for the 32-year-old, but ultimately, he's willing to make the sacrifice to benefit MMA as a whole, even if Hendricks isn't, he said.

"I'm the one who fights in the cage; of course I care about testing," St-Pierre said. "I want to have a fair fight. I don't want to fight a guy who's on steroids.

"I said I was going to do it, and I'm a man of my word, so I did it. Johny said he was going to do it, but he didn't do it. I don't accuse nobody [of cheating], but if you want to know why he didn't do it, you'll have to ask him."

Hayabusa Limited Edition Georges St. Pierre 16oz Gloves

Hayabusa Limited Edition Georges St. Pierre 16oz Gloves

Affliction GSP Royal Guard UFC 167 Walkout Shirt

Affliction GSP Royal Guard UFC 167 Walkout Shirt

tags: Georges St-Pierre (detail)  VADA

Herman Munster site profile image

11/1/13 11:53 AM by Herman Munster

Well, i agree with you that it was questionable to come to the conclusion the way he initially did.  You are right, he did put forth his skewed opinions, and that's why his initial post warranted being voted down, which it was.  It's just that I've seen Matty hand so many posters here their ass the same way he handled Bucephalus on this very subject, but it's Bucephalus that has been the exception to take his medicine on it, and respond somewhat humbled.  His post came off relatively sincere, and with GSP haters that's a bit refreshing, so I balanced out my vote down and gave him a vote up.

Kerouac site profile image

11/1/13 7:59 AM by Kerouac

Proof that GSP rejected Hendicks' challenge to do WADA testing?I can't believe you even typed that out.

Entreri site profile image

10/31/13 7:04 PM by Entreri

Shady Hendricks chickened out. Wonder why...

Wasa-B site profile image

10/31/13 4:31 PM by Wasa-B

Disagree. Dude was putting forth own skewed opinions on GSP in general. Taking posts on the UG as word is dumb enough but formulating larger generalizing opinions toward a fighter is still your word, your mind. What ever happened to "dont talk shit unless you know your shit"? Now, what's really to be said in fairness is that dude is far from the only guy that does this on the UG, its unfortunately the norm. "George has been suspected of illegal PED use for years and now he is posturing like he is the one paving the way to prevent the abuse of PED's? Now he's acting as if he created some sort of controversy because of his overzealous efforts to "clean up the sport of MMA".... when in fact he is the one who has been a source of controversy and a target of accusations for so long... If George is really the white knight of a drug-free sport, why did George reject Hendricks' challenge to undergo more stringent WADA testing? WADA is an actual regulatory body.. not a testing agency like VADA. WADA is more thorough and effective than VADA. WADA is also free for fighters to use... So why did George insist on paying $20,000 out of pocket to be tested by an agency who offered to sponsored him? Does he think that gives him more credence? It's a simple question really. Why?"

Kenny Baxter site profile image

10/31/13 12:08 AM by Kenny Baxter

""I didn't want to piss off anybody," St-Pierre said. "I didn't want to piss off the UFC or the athletic commission, I just wanted to do something good for the sport. I never wanted to make people angry."I thought everything was going to go well and Johny was going to come and we would do it together and it would be good and would be a new thing in the sport. It will make the sport go higher, so to speak.""I'm sure that whole thing seemed a lot tougher in French-Canadian. But in American... It just sounds like he's some guy's bitch. Just a sad, pathetic way to go through life, really.

snobordr site profile image

10/30/13 1:57 PM by snobordr

same

Team GDP site profile image

10/29/13 10:46 PM by Team GDP

vu to matty

Colboyo site profile image

10/29/13 9:22 PM by Colboyo

Horse meat? Wild hog meat? what's the difference anyways, it's delicious!! haha

MarkRobinson site profile image

10/29/13 9:07 PM by MarkRobinson

In your defense the media hasnt really covered this story well and GSP has remained fairly quiet when he could be talking about how hendricks is ducking the test to every interviewer.    classy move by gsp imo.

I LOVE GSP site profile image

10/29/13 8:37 PM by I LOVE GSP

Good for Georges. I'm not really a big fan despite the sn but he's one of the good ones.Respect for being willing to undergo excessive testing.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!