Lombard: Most hours of training made Rousey and I so strong

UFC welterweight Hector Lombard appeared recently on BJ Penn Radio and discussed the drop from middleweight, who he wants next, what he thinks of Judo, and why he and UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey are so strong.

“It was really hard," said Lombard of the cut to 170. "You know, but every single time I… suffer, when I feel tired, when I feel I couldn’t make it, I would go to the computer, and I would check all the people talking bad about me, and I would get the motivation to fill me up and keep going.  So I’m quite happy that people doubted me, it keeps me motivated and keeps me in the place that I want to be.”

“I think that Carlos Condit is high ranked, right?  OK, I’ll take Carlos Condit,” Lombard had said during the interview about the UFC’s No. 2 ranked contender.  Lombard also said that he would be willing to fight Condit’s most recent opponent, Martin Kampmann, who is currently ranked 7th."

“My style of fighting has nothing to do with judo.  I love judo, and I’m always going to love judo, and I’m always gonna be calling myself a judo player.  I trained that sport for seven years.  I went everywhere in judo, and I competed at the highest level.  But, I don’t use judo at all.  I knock people out.  I like to be exciting.  That was my goal a long time ago, I want to be exciting, and I want the people to want to watch me fight.  Unfortunately judo is not as exciting as MMA.  So I tried to develop a style where [people] would come see me fight.  So I started training stand-up, and I got myself an instructor.  That’s how I like to fight, I don’t like to grapple.  I like to stand up.  If somebody has to get KO’s, somebody has to go out.”

“I think I was like training and develop my strength and my power, you know, it’s like Ronday Rousey. She lifts bodies all her life, you get to the point when you’re stronger than everyone else.  She’s done it for so many years that it gets to the point she’s like four times stronger than all the guys she’s gonna face.  And that is because she’s been training longer and harder than every single other.  Put it this way, she’s been training since she was five, or whatever, lifting bodies and training hard three or four times a day. There’s no way any other women can claim that. So I tried to kind of like a lot more in striking all the time, punching the bag and doing those things – more striking than anything else to develop that strength, that power.”

Read entire article...
Listen to entire interview...

UFC Women\'s Ronda Rousey UFC 168 Walkout Shirt

UFC Women's Ronda Rousey UFC 168 Walkout Shirt

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Zed Wayne Zed site profile image

11/1/13 11:57 AM by Zed Wayne Zed

Wow, such blatant disrespect for the Condit.I'd take Carlos all day, every day over Hector.Carlos is a killer.Hector has moments, but he's not out-willing Condit.Who knocks out Condit?Never been stopped by strikes.Carlos wins, book it.

Pitbull3744 site profile image

11/1/13 9:58 AM by Pitbull3744

Damn it seems that WW is the best division for hector right now in terms of exciting matches.  Condit, Hendricks, Lawler, Kampmann, Daley would be amazing if he was in the UFC.

downthepines site profile image

11/1/13 9:51 AM by downthepines

I gotta say,There are not many more fights I would look forward to at 170 then Hendricks vs Lombard....Two stocky guys with big power

Pitbull3744 site profile image

11/1/13 9:31 AM by Pitbull3744

Hector grappled Schlemenko for 3 rds out of their 5 and didnt gas the whole fight.  I think people are forgetting that fight.    Hector can do whatever he wants inside that cage he is that damn good.

MMA Lives Here site profile image

11/1/13 9:29 AM by MMA Lives Here

He's definitely at a higher risk of being cut because of that big ass $300K pay packet. But if he starches his next opponent, he's gonna be bringing a lot of hype And yeah he's always just been a stand and wanger because he knows he won't get taken down and he know he can KO people. As you say, let's see what happens when he runs into someone with an iron chin. He definitely has grappling but will he use it

Wicked smahtMF site profile image

11/1/13 9:14 AM by Wicked smahtMF

idk man... i havent seen much in the way of technique in whatever level of success he has managed at this level. like i said he basically just straight clobbers MFs and though some guys can get lucky with it for a while, eventually u run into a Condit/ Diaz that all the power in the world wont save you from. ill call it now... hector is cut inside 3 fights. considering his contract numbers and mediocrity skiwise id say its inevitable

Pitbull3744 site profile image

11/1/13 8:45 AM by Pitbull3744

I actually thought Lombard beat Tim, but Okami was holding him so much i guess he won that by points, but Lombard almost KOd him in the 3rd iirc.

Nexuscrawlers site profile image

11/1/13 8:22 AM by Nexuscrawlers

yeah, both fights were so close, there wasnt a clear winner either time.

Woodford Mike site profile image

11/1/13 7:50 AM by Woodford Mike

Lombard vs Lawler is the one I want to see. Would be some serious fireworks in that one

byron2001 site profile image

10/31/13 10:09 PM by byron2001

Just throwing it out there.I really don't think he lost to Okami or Boetch.. Both very very close split decisions

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!