Pettis: I'm too intelligent to fight like Melendez vs. Sanchez

UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis recently appeared on BJ Penn radio, ahead of his title defense against Josh Thomson on Dec. 14 at UFC on FOX 9 in Sacramento, California.

On the near horizon sits Gilbert Melendez, who recently had what some have called the best fight ever, vs. Diego Sanchez. The pair threw down with abandon round after round, but Pettis says don't expect a repeat.

“That’s not my fight," said 'Showtime'. "You’ll never see Anthony Pettis in a fight like that. I’m too intelligent, too skilled, and too versatile to be standing with someone toe-to-toe. It was pretty entertaining, though, and the fans love it … it’s just not really my style.

"Melendez is a great fighter and I’m sure we’re going to fight in the future. It was a very entertaining fight with Diego and Melendez but like I said, it’s not my style. You’re never going to see me in a match like that. Too much skill and talent to be caught up in a brawling match."

"I’m not saying I won’t get into an exchange, that’s just not my style to get hit like that. If you watch my fights, I’ve gotten hit once or twice out of my whole career. It’s not that I can’t take it, it’s just that I don’t need to get hit. Why get hit in the face when I can hit you before you hit me? I’m not afraid to get into an exchange but I have an intelligent fight style and I think Josh is going to have a problem with it and anybody in the 155, 145 is going to have a problem with my fight style.”

“I can’t wait to get through Josh Thomson and fight Gilbert Melendez. The fans know what’s up. The real fans that saw his fight with Henderson and saw my fight with Henderson, they know who the champ is. It took me four minutes to finish him and he couldn’t finish him in 25.”

Read entire interview...

Headrush UFC 164 Anthony \

Headrush UFC 164 Anthony "Showtime" Pettis Walkout Shirt

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

FETT_ Cains._Burrito_In_My_BrownEye site profile image

11/2/13 8:48 PM by FETT_ Cains._Burrito_In_My_BrownEye

Care to elaborate on that?Ive seen Aldo qouted as wanting it badly, but his coach and the UFC wanting him to stay at 145.

Dana Stern site profile image

11/2/13 8:34 PM by Dana Stern

Pettis can and should beat anyone at his weight and lighter. Aldo would be a tough challenge however I still like Pettis though. I also think Josh Thompson is his most dangerous opponent for Showtime right now.

UGCTT Molsonmuscle360 site profile image

11/2/13 8:00 PM by UGCTT Molsonmuscle360

TJ Grants power will surprise him I'm sure. That's a fight if Pettis doesn't keep it at a distance he's fucked.

KingofBJJ site profile image

11/2/13 7:41 PM by KingofBJJ

You need to learn the definition of the word "fluke".  A fluke is what happened in the King Mo v Newton fight or the Buster Douglas v Mike tyson match.

MasterofMartialArts site profile image

11/2/13 7:16 PM by MasterofMartialArts

Why would Gil have to go through him to fight Pettis? He's the ex strike force champion, 1-1 in the UFC (1 being a close loss to the champ at the time, 1 dominating win). If anything, Khabib should have to go through Melendez to get a shot. Gil is already established in MMA.

Android User site profile image

11/2/13 7:06 PM by Android User

Guida had a pretty easy time controlling Pettis on the ground and Khabib is 3x the grappler Guida is. Yes, Pettis is a better striker but if he underestimates Khabib, he's going to be surprised. Khabib will win this fight should it ever go down. I sure hope it does anyway.

iwatchsomemma site profile image

11/2/13 7:02 PM by iwatchsomemma

That Guida loss was a fluke. Pettis was trying to finish on the ground but it didn't happen.Now that he learned that hard lesson of leaving it to the judges, he'll be relentless and the fire he has is more than most if not all top fighters right now.He's gonna hurt a lot of fighters soon, real soon.

Peacedog site profile image

11/2/13 5:19 PM by Peacedog

I think Josh is going to beat him. Josh is a pretty excellent wrestler and we've seen Pettis wrestlef#cked before. I'm taking Josh.

nolabrum site profile image

11/2/13 4:46 PM by nolabrum

It's true. You won't see

chaplinshouse site profile image

11/2/13 4:35 PM by chaplinshouse

"You’ll never see Anthony Pettis in a fight like that. I’m too intelligent, too skilled, and too versatile" chaplinshouse thinks the transformation is now complete.  pettis' ego has now reached level 10: 3rd person douche

MMA apparel and training equipment
BLACK FRIDAY