Pettis injured, out of December title defense

Unfortunately, UFC champion Anthony Pettis suffered a knee injury that will force him out of scheduled December 15th title defense. With Pettis out, the UFC had to scramble to move fights around to fight a new main event for the UFC on FOX 9:

For a time, Nate Diaz spoke about bowing out of the Nov. 30 Ultimate Fighter Finale event in favor of his 10-year high school reunion. As it turns out, choosing the future over the past was the right decision for Diaz, whose fight with Gray Maynard has been bumped to headliner status after several changes in the UFC calendar.

Diaz-Maynard II replaces the originally intended main event of Demetrious Johnson vs. Joseph Benavidez, a flyweight title match which has been shifted to Dec. 14 in order to headline that show.

The fight, first reported on Sunday’s edition of FOX Sports Live, will be contested as a three-rounder as a concession to the limited preparation time remaining.

That move was necessitated by a knee injury to lightweight champ Anthony Pettis, who was forced out of a match with Josh Thomson.

Headrush UFC 164 Anthony \

Headrush UFC 164 Anthony "Showtime" Pettis Walkout Shirt

Headrush Panther Shirt

Headrush Panther Shirt

VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT site profile image

11/12/13 10:17 AM by VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT

I agree...and Benavidez is also a killer. I'm really looking forward to that rematch.

mdtreo7979 site profile image

11/12/13 4:15 AM by mdtreo7979

I love watching pettis. But if the dude is going to constantly have to pull out of fights...I can already see an interim lightweight champion happening

bjws site profile image

11/11/13 12:58 PM by bjws

I hope injuries aren't the downfall to Pettis' career.

Yussarian site profile image

11/11/13 12:42 PM by Yussarian

Lol, wasn't he also injured before the Cerrone fight as well? I know he didn't pull out, but if I remember correctly Cowboy Cerrone was forced to wait for him to heal up. Could be wrong. All same injury?With a the Bantam weight division already haunted by injury, or having a "ghost" champ waiting to get back in there again, I can imagine this is the last thing the UFC wants.

MasterofMartialArts site profile image

11/11/13 12:31 PM by MasterofMartialArts

Great post

Izzyxtwo site profile image

11/11/13 12:30 PM by Izzyxtwo

That is a ridiculous statement. DJ is one of the most exciting fighters in an action packed division, which is just growing, thus Fox will be a great platform for that. He has 10+ finishes including his last title defense (armbar) so check your facts. If his fights are boring to you, then it's time you pick a new sport.

Chris27 site profile image

11/11/13 12:21 PM by Chris27

This is fucking ridiculous.  Sure the card is still really good but having it be a stacked card with Pettis in a LW title fight made it huge, being a really good card with Fly title fight is still good but it weakens the card for me. Fuck this sucks, this is the shit that I hate about mma, I know injuries happen but its like you cant even get pumped for cards anymore because half the time fights will be moved, guys get hurt, it just sucks. Now the TUF finale suffers.

rRooster site profile image

11/11/13 10:44 AM by rRooster

Wow. UFC misses out on getting a great fight on FOX with the loss of Pettis v Thomson. Ratings will suffer again. I am completely uninterested in seeing Mighty Mouse fight again. any casual fan who tunes in for the boring point fighting of Mighty Mouse will probably be skipping the next fox card and missing the exciting fight that Pettis vs. Thomson is almost certain to be in January.

sadisticsoldier site profile image

11/11/13 10:14 AM by sadisticsoldier

It sucks for everyone involved, but personally, I'm not too sad to see this fight scrapped. It didn't seem like a competitive match up to me. I'm sure Josh could have made it one though.

green_machine site profile image

11/11/13 10:13 AM by green_machine

Pop, imo

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!