Gamburyan: People don't get Ronda Rousey

Love her or hate her, Ronda Rousey is one of the most polarizing figures in women's mixed martial arts. The current UFC women's champion is currently coaching the Ultimate Fighter against rival Miesha Tate and some of questions her actions on the show. Long time friend and training partner Manny Gamburyan recently explained that people just don't Ronda:

TUF 18

“It was a great experience. I looked at it as not a coach but I was part of the fighters also. I trained with them every single day. I sparred, I wrestled, I did jiu-jitsu, and I did conditioning. I felt like I was part of the fighting crew not the coaching crew. We had a great time and it was a great experience. It was eight talented guys and eight talented girls and it was an honor to be a part of it. I was really blessed.”

In the middle of the drama

“(The eyebrow picture) was some shady stuff on their part. It’s a girl thing, you know? You don’t want to get involved or in between Ronda and Miesha. They’re girls, they’re superstars and they’re great fighters. I didn’t want to get involved. That’s girl stuff. But I wanted to be next to her to be a big brother to her and if anything happened I had her back, no doubt.”

Rousey’s image taking a hit

“Listen, Ronda is a fighter. People don’t get her. She’s a very emotional fighter. She takes every step very personal. She’s a different kind of girl. Like I’ve said, I never take anything away from any girl fighter. I think the girls are showing that they belong in the UFC. I’m very happy for them. Ronda is being Ronda. She’s not being fake, she’s not being cocky, that’s her, that’s her personality. She’s a fighter. Everything she takes she takes it very seriously. She’s an emotional girl. Hate her or love her, she’s the greatest of all time. The girl trains freakin’ all the time. She’s always trying to improve, she’s always trying to get better on her feet, get better on her jiu-jitsu, her judo, her wrestling, everything. She’s a hard worker. I’ve known her for many, many years, when she was like very young, I’m not going to just be on her side, but the girl is something special. I’m very honored to be partnered with her and being friends with her and I’m looking forward to being with her the rest of my life, off the mat or on the mat. It doesn’t matter … She always said, I could fight. I said please don’t. You have a pretty face, don’t mess it up. I always laugh about it. But now she is proving me wrong.”

read entire articlee...

UFC Women\'s Ronda Rousey UFC 168 Walkout Shirt

UFC Women's Ronda Rousey UFC 168 Walkout Shirt

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

Aaron Becker site profile image

11/13/13 11:56 AM by Aaron Becker

THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!!!

RockTheVote site profile image

11/13/13 9:46 AM by RockTheVote

FRAT - She's exactly who we thought she was.

Pitbull3744 site profile image

11/13/13 9:44 AM by Pitbull3744

That's for damn sure. My boy is a mess but we have been friends for a long time so that's that.

StratTone site profile image

11/13/13 9:28 AM by StratTone

There comes a time when we all must don't Ronda.

StratTone site profile image

11/13/13 9:25 AM by StratTone

Voted up and very well said.

MountainMedic site profile image

11/13/13 1:55 AM by MountainMedic

One of the old stories is that rhondas mom would drop her off, and when she would pick her up after training, she would be crying. When some of the guys sort of felt bad it was a very young Manny who said "if she wants to train with men she will cry. Where is she? I'll make her cry again, I don't care"Or something close to that. I remember the quote & it actually made me like Manny better for some reason, lol.I think she is misunderstood by alot of people. I also think she is very young and hasn't lived anything close to a normal life, so normal people will never really get it. Maybe she & the "norm" will meet in the middle some day. Maybe not. Doubt she will lose much sleep over it either way

fenatic site profile image

11/13/13 1:26 AM by fenatic

Good for Manny sticking up for Ronda. IMO Ronda is women's MMA. Without her there would be no UFC for any of the women, they are damn lucky Ronda was around at the right time. Meisha Tate is the biggest phony ass bitch in MMA. She is all show, when that camera is around she is always looking for it and to be in front of it, just the opposite for Ronda, she could care less. Ronda is going to bust her ass, Tate better get affairs in order because she will be out of action for a long time after fight # 2.

IowaHawkeyes420 site profile image

11/12/13 9:18 PM by IowaHawkeyes420

Who thinks he's porkin her

sux@bjj site profile image

11/12/13 8:39 PM by sux@bjj

"Ronda is being Ronda. She’s not being fake, she’s not being cocky, that’s her, that’s her personality."-ummm, that's the problem i think.

steve sandstrom site profile image

11/12/13 8:30 PM by steve sandstrom

Lol @ "some people don't Rhonda". Yeah, I guess I don't Rhonda either.