Dan Hardy living in limbo

Dan Hardy, 31, has not fought in over a year, the longest break he has taken from combat sports competitions since first taekwondo match. That was when he was seven years old.

Hardy has Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome, a genetic condition that the Mayo Clinic defines as “the presence of an extra, abnormal electrical pathway in the heart that leads to periods of a very fast heartbeat. In most cases, the episodes of fast heartbeats aren’t life-threatening, but serious heart problems can occur."

A UFC official says the organization has “worked closely with Dan to help him get the best possible medical treatment and advice for his condition. There is no timetable for his return to the octagon.”

So what is "The Outlaw" doing? Sarah Feldberg from Las Vegas Weekly has the story.

Dan Hardy has a new tattoo on his leg. It’s a portrait of a young Bruce Lee.

“He dedicated his whole day to training,” Hardy says. “He was constantly finding new ways to better himself and improve himself.”

Hardy is doing the same today. “I’m spending all day just going from one place of exercise to another. So today I was at Sky Zone doing backflips on the trampolines, and then I went straight off to CrossFit to do some power lifting and kettlebells, and now I’m going to do some yoga, so my whole day’s full... I was walking out of Whole Foods yesterday doing flies with the shopping bags,” he laughs.

The only thing the Brit hasn’t been doing lately is fighting.

Stuck in a strange limbo, Hardy lives cheaply in Las Vegas, maintained by sponsors like Xyience and training hard for who knows what. He’s looking into opportunities in TV, and he’s started producing a new line of fitness videos labeled #hardyswolfcam.

“I’m so much more physically able now than I was before, which is crazy because now I’m potentially moving toward the end of my career, and I’ve really just figured out how my body works properly,” Hardy says.

The questions of if and when Hardy will get to fight for the UFC again are still hanging in the air, but the how is not. Hardy could have an ablation, a catheter-based procedure that feeds wires into the heart and cauterizes the tissue to block the electrical charge from passing through, essentially curing him of Wolff-Parkinson-White.

“It’s the easiest thing for everybody apart from me,” Hardy says. “My issue is that I’ve never had any kind of symptoms or problems, so it’s not something I feel needs fixing.”

“That’s just not me. It’s a done deal. But if I can prove to the UFC and to everybody else that there’s no reason I can’t fight, then … I don’t see why they would stop me.”

“Worst-case scenario, if I don’t get cleared to fight, I’ll go to Thailand and do Thai boxing. I will fight again. My heart has been in my body and survived so many extreme training sessions and situations that it won’t fail me. I don’t feel like it would. But if you start poking at it …”

Read entire article...

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Punishment Athletics Not For Everybody Shirt

Punishment Athletics Not For Everybody Shirt

tags: UFC   Dan Hardy (detail)

notsobigmike site profile image

11/14/13 5:37 PM by notsobigmike

I don't know enough about this particular disorder, but in general I'd say it's the promoter's call.Regardless of whether or not a commission licenses someone, you're the one putting on the show - if you aren't comfortable with having someone fight, it's going to be on your conscience. It's the same when they said they wouldn't give Chuck another fight. Even if the commission okays him, it's ultimately a question of whether or not the promoter wants to be a part of that fight.

Chimp Strength site profile image

11/14/13 5:27 PM by Chimp Strength

Maybe they could hire him to sit on the panel for the UK coverage and get rid of the dross on there at the minute!

DoomFarmer site profile image

11/14/13 5:22 PM by DoomFarmer

I would not want the surgery either.It's heart surgery we are talking about here.He's never had symptoms.

Crooklyn site profile image

11/14/13 5:13 PM by Crooklyn

I love Dan. Hope he gets some kind of resolution to this whole thing soon.

Heel Hooker site profile image

11/14/13 5:00 PM by Heel Hooker

Can't say I'd let someone poke around my heart if I was asymptomatic either.

Donoghue88 site profile image

11/14/13 4:27 PM by Donoghue88

What's Dan waiting for ? Does he think it will cure itself?

duckrabbit site profile image

11/14/13 2:30 PM by duckrabbit

In addition, and paradoxically, younger people with very fit hearts do not do correspondingly well with ablations.

duckrabbit site profile image

11/14/13 2:27 PM by duckrabbit

He really doesn't need surgery to fight if he's asymptomatic. I don't even know if he takes drugs, which is usually the first line of therapy. In addition, the symptom everyone is concerned about is tachycardia (which he has never experienced) and that is easily treatable with cardioversion. (even at ringside). If you looked in any emergency room right now, there would be people who will have been tachycardic for hours and won't even be cardioverted until they attempt to regain rhythm with drugs. This whole thing stinks of insurance/bureaucracy rather than medical issues. If a cardiologist signs off on Dan, they should let him fight. Fighting would pose no more danger than training to fight, which he is already doing, so something stinks about this story. Athletic commissions need to be held accountable to evidence-based decision-making when it comes to any form of control they choose to exert.

SC MMA MD site profile image

11/14/13 12:03 PM by SC MMA MD

Dan's position is not at all irrational, and if what I understand about his situation is true (that he has been completely asymptomatic and this was found on a screening ECG) I am somewhat surprised that he has not found an electro physiologist who would clear him to fight. The Bethesda criteria do not mandate ablation in patients with asymptomatic pre-excitation. I wonder if his pre-excitation persisted at higher heart rates during an exercise tolerance test or of there is some other concerning finding that the public is not aware of.In any event, it is unfortunate Dan is in this position

Kentpaul site profile image

11/14/13 11:48 AM by Kentpaul

He won't fight again unless he gets cleared by a Doc and they wont do that unless he has surgery which he said he won't do