Hendricks explains advice Mike Tyson gave him to beat GSP

By no stretch of the imagination is Johny Hendricks a boxer, but he does possess incredible knockout power. And of course, is always working on his boxing and sometimes with the most feared boxer in history, Iron Mike Tyson:

"No, I want to hit him with my right. My right hits just as hard as my left. I've been hitting people with it and I'm getting a little bit stronger with it. Also going with Tyson, he told me a couple of things that he used to do, Mike Tyson. I got to go like an hour session with him, for the show. Whenever, I did that, he told me a couple of things that really helped me out and really made me a better boxer. More or less, I'll tell you the gist of it. He said that you can always hit the guy with the kitchen sink and he may not go down, but it's not the first shot that always kill them, it's the second shot, okay, the second shot. That's what I'm looking for. He's (St. Pierre) been rocked in his last three fights. I think now he wants to hold and maintain.

I think my left hand is in his head. Who wouldn't? If I was fighting myself, it would be in my head. It's one thing to rock people, its another to put them to sleep. If he switches southpaw, he's dead. I've sparred a lot of southpaws in my life and I've sparred a lot of boxers that switch to southpaw and switch stances on me. That's going to be that much easier for me to land my left hand it he switches to southpaw. So, I hope he does."

transcribed by MMAMania.com...

Affliction GSP Team St. Pierre Shirt

Affliction GSP Team St. Pierre Shirt

Hayabusa Limited Edition Georges St. Pierre 16oz Gloves

Hayabusa Limited Edition Georges St. Pierre 16oz Gloves

sadisticsoldier site profile image

11/15/13 8:33 PM by sadisticsoldier

Pretty sure this doesn't mean he is gonna be coming in with punches in bunches (he'd just end up on his back) as much as it means he is going to be saving the "big left" for when he does hurt him or at least connects well or to make sure he is throwing combos during those moments as well. Many fighters tend to become very predictable when their opponent is hurt, trying to slam home their power hand over and over and it doesn't work very well unless they are defenseless. Hendricks is still pretty green with his striking, but if he feels confident with his lead hand, it'll give him a much better shot against GSP.

Kings21 site profile image

11/15/13 7:49 PM by Kings21

You see it all the time, guys throwing one maybe two punches at a time at most. If it takes someone like Mike Tyson instilling that idea deeper into the mind of Hendricks than so be it. I doubt thats the first time he's ever heard anything about throwing combos. You also see guys that crack their opponent and then are often too worried about rushing in and getting caught to follow up that first shot.Either way though, if you have an hour to train with a great athlete I'm willing to bet that you latch on to the things they say a little more than stuff you've heard by your peers and coaches. Its a simple idea but those simple ideas are the ones most often forgot about in the heat of the moment.

ausgepicht site profile image

11/15/13 7:36 PM by ausgepicht

So wait a minute. It would have never occured to him to throw combos or punches in bunches if it wasn't for this session with Tyson? WTF?!?

Kings21 site profile image

11/15/13 6:55 PM by Kings21

Great attitude. Great confidence. I look forward to this fight very much.

Bentleysuper8 site profile image

11/15/13 6:43 PM by Bentleysuper8

Depending on when video was shot, he's probably doing it to cut weight. I don't chew but tried this to lose the last .2kg of a cut for judo. It works but I made the mistake of doing while driving. Almost went off the road. Felt positively impaired.

SiriusXM Fight Club site profile image

11/15/13 5:58 PM by SiriusXM Fight Club

Was he packing a lip in that interview? Is so, that goes to prove further more that Hendricks is pure country LOL!

stop_it_right_meow site profile image

11/12/13 11:32 PM by stop_it_right_meow

TTT

NiteProwleR site profile image

11/12/13 3:03 PM by NiteProwleR

Its gotta happen some day & I think GSP chin is getting worse & worse & he knows it(look at his change over the yrs). That being said, GSP's ground work is crazy good. Even if you are a great wrestler he finds a weakness and exploits you for 5 rounds. Hendricks must stop the TD's by round 2 or he will face the same outcome as the last 11 guys.

ShanTheMan site profile image

11/12/13 2:17 PM by ShanTheMan

I like his outlook. Not too cocky but VERY confident

Mustard Tiger site profile image

11/12/13 2:08 PM by Mustard Tiger

Very excited for this fight.

MMA clothing and gear