St-Pierre announces 'retirement' in the cage

In his post fight interview with Joe Rogan, Georges St-Pierre expressed to the crowd that he would need to step away from the cage for a while. When Rogan pressed St-Pierre for a more definitive answer, the champion dodged the question a bit, but again expressed that he would be stepping away from the Octagon for a while for personal reasons.

His entire post-fight interview speech regarding retirement, transcribed:

"Everyone, there was a lot of talk about what was going to happen [after this fight]. I have a bunch of stuff happening and I need to hang up my gloves for a little bit. I hope my fans can appreciate [the decision]. Thank you to everyone , UFC and Johny Hendricks. I have to go away for a little bit … there are some personal things happening. I want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart to the UFC for giving me this chance. Thank you very much. I have to step away for a bit … that's all I can say [for now]. I was getting punched in the head a little, later on I will make [my point]. I got to go away for a little but, I'm very emotional right now."

transcribed by MMAMania.com...

So for now, Georges St-Pierre is 'hanging up his gloves'. What say you UG?

Hayabusa Limited Edition Georges St. Pierre 16oz Gloves

Hayabusa Limited Edition Georges St. Pierre 16oz Gloves

Affliction GSP Royal Guard UFC 167 Walkout Shirt

Affliction GSP Royal Guard UFC 167 Walkout Shirt

leethal21 site profile image

11/21/13 12:11 AM by leethal21

i watched the fight and the presser again and i have to say my emotions were running high on fight night too. dana did NOT disrespect GSP and was only pissed as any boss would be about learning something second hand. GSP should have dialed in his boss before he did that.

FrankGotch site profile image

11/17/13 1:23 PM by FrankGotch

In my opinion, if the fight is close, you give it to the champion. I come from the school of thought where you must do enough to more than edge out the champion. That's just me, though.

leethal21 site profile image

11/17/13 8:16 AM by leethal21

so when u reach the top of your game in mma and do everything right for so many years the boss still has the option to throw you under bus at moments notice for what? what i heard him say was he wanted to take a bit off time off. iif i treated one of my partners like that after many may sucessful years together i wouldnt be able to look in the mirror. that is so wrong on so many leves i would loose all trust at that point

leethal21 site profile image

11/17/13 8:08 AM by leethal21

i missed the part where he said he was retiring. it must be on the pvr when i watch it again. i think there are only a few people that have done as well as gsp. i dont understand how gsp was labled as a rat by his boss in such negative fasion.

FadeToBlack site profile image

11/17/13 7:54 AM by FadeToBlack

This, except Hendricks did not get screwed. He lost that fight equally as much as he won it, and Fight Metric supports that. People, as usual, are letting their emotions get in the way of reality in a close fight. Either way, Dana White is being a crybaby by trying to blame Georges for the NSAC decision, acting like he has an obligation to fight the fight all over again to compensate for the NSAC's perceived incompetence.

Willo232 site profile image

11/17/13 7:41 AM by Willo232

UG blog at it again

Vakatoga site profile image

11/17/13 7:29 AM by Vakatoga

Hi. First post. Nice to meet you all.Georges didn't exactly say he was retiring, did he? I mean it wasn't really ideal conditions to have to answer such a convoluted question. He just had his jimmies rusted and I'm sure was not thinking too clearly. I thought Dana was a bit of a cunt at the presser comparing his job to Georges' and pretty much throwing him under the bus. Not that cool. Also, as much as people want to bitch about the decision, the reality is GSP won that fight and we've seen bigger disparities than this go to the champ. Blame the scoring system , judges whatever within the context of the rules he won. And Hendricks shouldve capitalized better to finish him. It was a damn good fight.

AbbeyRoadMe site profile image

11/17/13 7:14 AM by AbbeyRoadMe

I think he's worried about his health or something. He seemed anxious in the post fight press conference. He talked about not being able to sleep, and his vision being blurry. It's a complete guess, but he's a smart guy and knows the risks of fighting.

Devlin site profile image

11/17/13 7:09 AM by Devlin

is he even married?

leethal21 site profile image

11/17/13 7:02 AM by leethal21

really?? when did that happen? i thought i watched it all. when you get second maybe you can back up your statement. with some videos or such. I cant believe i fucken missed it. i will be god dammed

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!