Hendricks: I won that belt

The majority of onlookers thought that Johny Hedricks beat Georges St-Pierre Saturday night, including a furious UFC president Dana White. However, Judges Sal D’Amato and Tony Weeks saw it for GSP, and, in the absence of a tapout or knockout that is what determines who is the champion.

“I did beat Georges St-Pierre," said Johny Hendricks to Ariel Helwani. "I did deserve that belt. I won that belt. But two people didn’t see it that way and guess what, I’m going to go back home. I swear to god, I’m going to get stronger, better and faster and that just won’t happen again. I knew I had to beat him, and I did. He’s all banged up. There’s nothing I could have done better.”

Hendricks was asked what he thought about GSP indicating he might be retired.

“I don’t care," said Hendricks. "I want that belt. That’s my belt. He knows it. I’d retire too. I wouldn’t want to give it away.”

Hendricks made similar remarks at the post fight press conference.

“My hands are busted up from hitting him in the face,” said Hendricksas transcribed by MMAJunkie. “Look at his face and look at mine.”

“I really didn’t hit him that hard. I wasn’t really trying to knock him out. I was putting about 70 percent on him, and it was enough.”

“Dude, I don’t care about Georges.  beat him anyway. I just want the belt. That’s the only thing that’s motivating me. I need to get it. That’s my drive. I thought I got it tonight, but I guess I didn’t. There’s a lot of things I can pull from this fight, and I’m only going to get better. It was my first five-round fight, and I took it to the champ.”

“If I get to see him in the ring again, it won’t go the distance. I will finish him. I know I can go five rounds now.”

Hendricks also offered physical evidence for his point of view.

Johny Hendricks@JohnyHendricks
Man hands are a little sore after last nights fights. But u should see the other guy lol

This of course is the other guy reference by Hendricks.

What do you think UG? If you were a judge, who would you have given the belt to? And why?

Affliction GSP Team St. Pierre Shirt

Affliction GSP Team St. Pierre Shirt

Hayabusa Limited Edition Georges St. Pierre 16oz Gloves

Hayabusa Limited Edition Georges St. Pierre 16oz Gloves

disbeliever site profile image

11/18/13 9:14 AM by disbeliever

Was this the first time Hendricks went 5 rounds? I would imagine he was worried about pacing himself for 5 rounds if need be.

Darth Ryase site profile image

11/18/13 8:08 AM by Darth Ryase

No. It's about budo. It's about sportsmanship. It's about honesty. I suppose if Hitler had a mean left cross you would root for him as well? After all nothing outside of he cage matters right?

adc559 site profile image

11/18/13 3:36 AM by adc559

Yup

adc559 site profile image

11/18/13 3:34 AM by adc559

This...lmao

adc559 site profile image

11/18/13 3:33 AM by adc559

This

Bisping decisioned my SN site profile image

11/18/13 1:36 AM by Bisping decisioned my SN

Hendricks still should have won

thebasher site profile image

11/18/13 1:10 AM by thebasher

Hendricks is a douche - only himself to blame

lockon site profile image

11/18/13 12:54 AM by lockon

""I wanna see his eyes roll back in his head" "I was only giving it 70%""He's probably on something"Dude is not a class act by any stretch of the imagination. He's the definition of classless. No respect for opponents, baseless steroid accusations, excuses, ducking testing. How can anyone root for this guy? "If people are still confused as to what he meant by only giving 70% then there's no hope for you. He wanted to pace himself as well as maintain his balance.As far as rooting for him goes, maybe some people value actual FIGHTING STYLES rather than their personality's outside of the cage? Weird, huh? Then again it's the UG where everyone judges their looks, personalities, and other completely irrelevant things rather than there abilities because they treat fighters like contestants in a beauty pageant.

ironyuppie site profile image

11/18/13 12:49 AM by ironyuppie

The video lights did more damage to Hendricks than GSP.

matu4251 site profile image

11/18/13 12:40 AM by matu4251

Gustafsson remained classy and respectful despite a very similar situation. Hendricks on the other hand was being a cunt toward GSP who, as usual, was very respectful. If Big Rig didn't like the outcome he could have channeled his anger toward the judges or himself. When the w only depends on a single round in a title fight... it's a toss up. And in this case he lost that toss up. I'd rather see someone else get that belt after such a poor display of sportsmanship.