White: MacDonald's style makes the action stop

Canadian Rory MacDonald started fighting professionally at age 17, and at 23 was considered by many to be the heir apparent to GSP's belt. UFC president Dana White suggested that it was just a matter of time before MacDonald switched gyms to work towards collecting GSP's multimillion dollar PPV fueled paydays.

Then MacDonald had an uninspired decision win over Jake Ellenberger, and Saturday night dropped a decision to Robbie Lawler. Now it is Lawler and his camp talking about a title shot, and White was left to speculate about what went wrong for MacDonald.

“I can’t tell if he doesn’t let it go or he’s just not that well rounded,” said White as transcribed by Tom Ngo from 5thround.com. “He’s just very one-dimensional. He has this style of nullifying a fight. He has a style of just making the action stop. I think that a lot of guys, he bugs them out and gets in their head when he starts doing that and they feel like they can’t land and it ends up being this staring competition.

“All the way leading up to this fight, I kept saying this is the perfect fight for MacDonald because we’re gonna find out what he’s really got in this fight because Robbie Lawler is going to take it to him. Robbie Lawler has this style of wrestling and hands and the power to hurt you that you’re going to have to fight completely different than you have been.”

White is obviously no longer talking about MacDonald switching teams to fight GSP; title talk has fallen to Lawler, who appropriately held back on it before the fight, but jumped in at the UFC 167 post fight press conference.

“I think what we should probably do if Georges takes off for a half a year or a year, Hendricks and I fight for an interim title," said Lawler Saturdau. "And when Georges comes back, I’ll beat him up, too. Let’s do this.”

What do you think UG? What do you think about Rory MacDonald after his last two fights? And how you like to see Robbie Lawler fighting for the UFC welterweight title?

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Venum Skintex Sparring MMA Gloves

Venum Skintex Sparring MMA Gloves

Jaco Sugafly HT Shirt

Jaco Sugafly HT Shirt

NHBStriker site profile image

11/20/13 4:15 PM by NHBStriker

I'll be the first to admit that after reading your post, I pointed my finger so I could count how many were pointing back at me. I thought it would be four.

MattyECB site profile image

11/20/13 4:12 PM by MattyECB

I actually don't think those elbows landed cleanly at all, but you're presenting an idiotic argument Some fighters have granite chins and diamond skin, while some fighters are Sanchez, Kampman or Diaz (particularly pre-surgery)Just because Rory's cut up ppl in the past doesn't necessarily mean he'll be able to cut up Lawler. I mean hell, AS doesn't crack even slightly

MattyECB site profile image

11/20/13 4:09 PM by MattyECB

One dimensional? lol Everything Dana said and did that pertains to UFC 167... I just want to forgetRetardation after retardation from this guy

Bucephalus site profile image

11/19/13 10:59 PM by Bucephalus

Rewatch it. Almost all of Rory's final strikes missed the mark. And those that landed, didn't land clean.

NONURINAUMANA site profile image

11/19/13 6:23 PM by NONURINAUMANA

Probably a bit harsh on Rory but lost good coin on him. Where's that killer instinct he's meant to have? Nowhere last couple fights. Well done to Lawler. Happy to see him making come back in big show.

NONURINAUMANA site profile image

11/19/13 6:20 PM by NONURINAUMANA

Fuck Rory.

pulvera site profile image

11/19/13 5:56 PM by pulvera

Sure they did. I've seen Rory slice shit up with his elbows but this time they magically didn't leave a mark. Ok, that only adds to the legend that is hurricane bob lawler. In fact, I concede totally. Those were the hardest elbows I've ever seen a man take and they had absolutely no effect on Robbie at all. What is this dude's head made out of?

NFABeeJay site profile image

11/19/13 5:35 PM by NFABeeJay

Hahahahaha. Johnny Hendricks had zero marks as well. Those elbows landed, did they hurt him? Ehh prolly not to bad but they landed.

TheMasher81 site profile image

11/19/13 5:18 PM by TheMasher81

Danas gotta go hes making the sport look stupid......

Bounty Hunter site profile image

11/19/13 5:08 PM by Bounty Hunter

i know he's not in the top ten but lets see Mein vs Macdonald 2Dana make it happen!

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!