Coleman: TUF coaching gig 'saved me'

Mark Coleman was is the father of ground and pound in mixed martial arts and a legend of the sport. So it was easy choice for BJ Penn to bring the former UFC champion in as his wrestling coach, a decision that Coleman says helped 'save him':

I talked to Mark Coleman at UFC 167 on Saturday night. We looked back on his proudest moments, the sad day they eliminated headbutts, and then discussed his current gig as an assistant coach for BJ Penn's team on the currently filming season of TUF:

“It’s rejuvenating me,” Coleman said. “It saved me a little bit. It brought the energy back, to the point where, like any other fighter, I want to fight again, really. Maybe it’s too late. Who knows? I would never say never. I won’t be stupid enough to get in there with Jon ‘Bones’ Jones or anything like that, or Daniel Cormier. I’m past that time. But I could certainly compete with certain guys out there, and if somebody wants to see it, I can’t say never.”

RVCA BJ Penn Photo Shirt

RVCA BJ Penn Photo Shirt

RVCA Game Time Jacket - BJ Penn

RVCA Game Time Jacket - BJ Penn

IP site profile image

11/21/13 1:57 PM by IP

I don't want to see him fight anymore. I want to remember him for who he was. I'd like to see him coach more, though. He's a great MMA personality and inspiration.

Mok The Ookla site profile image

11/21/13 1:51 PM by Mok The Ookla

Yes I would love this.

JoeBoxer212 site profile image

11/20/13 8:41 PM by JoeBoxer212

I used to love watching him drop the hammer head butts. If they didn't outlaw them he would have done so much more. If he had taken cardio and cross training seriously he would have done more. But he'll always be the man.

jason73 site profile image

11/20/13 8:03 PM by jason73

Kimo Lives site profile image

11/20/13 7:55 PM by Kimo Lives

Ppv space*. Not poverty

Kimo Lives site profile image

11/20/13 7:54 PM by Kimo Lives

It would be great but only if it was on the fox cards. No need to waste poverty space with a fight that doesn't help either guy move up in the rankings. Plus there's a good chance alot of those legend fights could end up appearing like a snooze fest for the casual fan. Us diehards would love it but the casual fan wouldn't understand the technical battlesSpecial attraction bout on fox would definitely attract viewers tho.

shin2chin site profile image

11/20/13 5:27 PM by shin2chin

Bath salts?

ophusker site profile image

11/20/13 5:05 PM by ophusker

I'm glad he's rejuvinated and doing good with TUF but you would think it would open his eyes to other possibilities in MMA aside from fighting. A guy like him should still be part of the sport but he doesn't need to be fighting anymore. Even if older guys fight one another they can still hurt each other badly. I'm not in favor of any kind of a masters division. Fighting is for young guys your body and most importantly your brain can only take so much punishment and as you get older it just doens't heal and come back the way it does for younger guys.

peakes site profile image

11/20/13 4:27 PM by peakes

I think you might have a short circuit.

RyannVonDoom site profile image

11/20/13 1:44 PM by RyannVonDoom

MMA apparel and training equipment
MMA clothing and gear