TJ Grant still fighting June concussion symptoms

The issue of concussion in contact sports has entered the national consciousness, and mixed martial arts is no exception. Among the most prominent cases of concussion in the sport at present is Canadian UFC lightweight T.J. Grant.

Grant was on a five-fight win streak, capped with a first round KO of Gray Maynard in May. A title shot was announced.

Then Grant suffered a concussion in training, with a variety of unfortunate and continuing consequences. In a sport where players punch, kick, elbow, and knee each other in the head, the injury happened while rolling, in a gi.

“I was doing jiu-jitsu in a gi, and I was on top, trying to pass the guard,” said Grant to MMAJunkie. “My partner kind of went inverted and went to roll over. When he came back, his heel hit me in the head. It was just a good, clean shot in the head. I was kind of impressed that it didn’t f—ing knock me out. It was a really hard hit, and there were actually two impacts on the same roll. I don’t know which one did it.

“We just kept rolling after the first shot. From that point, later on in the roll he went for a sweep, and like I always would, I used my head to post out and stop it. That was right at the end of the roll, and after that I knew that I rattled my brain a little bit. I never really had a concussion that I can remember. I’ve never felt anything close to it, but it is what it is."

That was in June.

Grant was out of a scheduled title fight with Benson Henderson, and Anthony Pettis was in. Pettis took Henderson's title, and Grant remained the #1 contender. But a fight with Pettis was scratched due to continuing effects of the concussion. Those lingering effects continue even now, some five months later.

On Wednesday's UFC Tonight, Ariel Helwani reported that while Grant is improving, he is not yet 100%, and does not know when he will be able to return to fighting.

At present, Grant hopes he can start training hard at Christmas. He is currently working on his cardio.

Grant is confident he will be back, but does not know with certainty when. And by the time he does come back, the rankings may have moved on.

"He's in limbo," UFC President Dana White said recently. "He might come back and have to fight another fight. We've got to keep this thing rolling."

When Grant does return, who do you want to see him fight?

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

tags: UFC   Dana White   TJ Grant (detail)

fakezaga site profile image

11/21/13 2:31 PM by fakezaga

Not the news I wanted to hear, but I hope at least it signifies he is really taking the time he needs to recover and not rushing his return.

fightharder site profile image

11/21/13 2:29 PM by fightharder

Hope to god this will work itself out. TJ deserves that shot eventually!

JimmersonzGlove site profile image

11/21/13 2:18 PM by JimmersonzGlove

That's really scary...I hope things work out for him.

BrCutter site profile image

11/21/13 2:03 PM by BrCutter

That's all I can think either. He was on fire.

Chris27 site profile image

11/21/13 1:59 PM by Chris27

This.  I thought Epwar told everyone this wasnt real, just a plot to get Pettis into a title fight in his hometown.

Bozzy site profile image

11/21/13 1:56 PM by Bozzy

Holy shit this is worse than I thought. He needs to snap out of it soon. If his mind is in limbo that's some serious shit, mentally he could've already aged several decades and not even realized it. It's only been 6 months but if he's stuck in limbo his mind could've easily aged 60 years in that time.He needs to come to. I heard if you remain lost in limbo your brain will become scrambled eggs or something like that, you'll end up in a vegetative state.

Big Pookie site profile image

11/21/13 1:25 PM by Big Pookie

That sucks man! Really hope he's able to make a comeback with no lingering effects.As for his next opponent - since Pettis/Thomson also isn't happening for a while, would love to see him fight Gil for the next shot.

RampageFitsLikeAGlove site profile image

11/21/13 1:19 PM by RampageFitsLikeAGlove

Wow....that sucks for TJ.  To have such a severe concussion after a seeminly minor hit (heel to head while rolling), I'd guess he's had prior concussions and not been aware of them.  Hope he gets better quick and gets his title shot.

Authority Figure site profile image

11/21/13 1:12 PM by Authority Figure

Terrible

JJLong site profile image

11/21/13 1:12 PM by JJLong

But I thought he was faking it and it was all a conspiracy to get Pettis into the title shot...Isn't that right members of the Underground?/sarcasm

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!