Nate Diaz: I don't get paid enough to make 155 all year

Nate Diaz has floated between the lightweight and welterweight division since winning the fifth season of the Ultimate Fighter in 2007. Diaz has found varied success in both divisions, but more so in the lightweight decision. However, Diaz isn't a fan of cutting weight and personally feels as he's undercompensated to do so:

On what he hopes comes next after Maynard:

I lost to Thomson and Anthony Pettis is the champ. They’re supposed to be the hot (expletive) right now. Those guys are the guys to beat and on top of it.

I was ready to go to 170 pounds. I’m over making weight and all this. I don’t feel I get paid good enough to lose weight all year long. I can make the weight no problem, but I wish I was getting compensated a little better for it. At the same time, I wasn’t going to leave this division letting those two (expletive) run the show.

In case anyone was wondering what exactly isn't enough money for Diaz to make lightweight year round, Diaz earned only $15,000 for his last bout, a loss to Josh Thomson. Diaz's contract likely would have earned him an additional $15,000 had he won. He did however make $50,000 in his title bout versus Benson Henderson.

Metal Mulisha Westsider Shirt

Metal Mulisha Westsider Shirt

Metal Mulisha Hidden Shirt

Metal Mulisha Hidden Shirt

tags: Nate Diaz (detail)

MagSlim site profile image

11/29/13 4:37 PM by MagSlim

Everyone wants to shit on Nick's pay but no one wants to be real to Dana when he comes in here.It's all 'UFC pay scale sux', then when Dana shows up it's all 'hey uncle Dana pls don't retire we luv u.'You sycophants are part of the problem. If everyone shit on him and just talked about how they were going to stream events until he paid people their money and stopped talking shit on the fighters we might get him to listen.He only listens to his financials, which are a result of what you spend.

BasBang site profile image

11/29/13 4:20 PM by BasBang

I wonder what Josh Koscheck thinks? TUF non-winner, beaten solidly over his last couple of fights, drives a Ferrari.

basswork site profile image

11/29/13 4:06 PM by basswork

Yeah and he beat two tomato cans

RockyBullwinkle site profile image

11/29/13 4:05 PM by RockyBullwinkle

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/7/19/4533358/why-isnt-there-a-union-in-mma "Many would answer they should then "leave it." This type of reasoning doesn't sit well with Prof. Eigen."Its just a silly thing to say," Eigen says, "to observe someone getting a bad deal and saying they must love it. It is true that employees will tolerate a bad deal because it is better than the alternative. For example, what if someone offered you the choice of getting beaten 100 times or getting beaten 50 times? If I only observed you making the choice to get beaten 50 times without observing you turning down the alternative choice of getting beaten 100 times, I might wrongly conclude that you love getting beaten. I know it's kind of a ridiculous example, but the point is, when you observe someone taking a bad deal you can't always say 'Well if they are taking that deal they must be happy.' Not true. You have to compare it to their alternative to the exchange. If the alternative to exchange for most fighters is no better than what they are currently getting, then what is their choice?"

Reed Rothchild site profile image

11/29/13 3:55 PM by Reed Rothchild

Nate needs to sign with Bellator

TuLegit site profile image

11/29/13 3:19 PM by TuLegit

Real fuckin easy for you to say when I'm sure the offer was take this or GTFO

ssj site profile image

11/29/13 3:14 PM by ssj

I love the faggots who take the UFC's side over a fighterU Fight Cheap

RampageFitsLikeAGlove site profile image

11/29/13 9:50 AM by RampageFitsLikeAGlove

It's easy to say when the UFC can offer you $15K + $15K and tell you to take it or go fuck off.  I realize they don't have a monolopy as the definition of a monopoly but lets be real, they have a monopoly over elite level MMA.  The Patriots can't offer Tom Brady $200K/ year for 2 reasons.  The NFL has a solid union that guarantees a  player a minimum salary and even moreso, he'd go sign with one of the other 31 teams in the league and have them competing for his contract.

Hadukon site profile image

11/29/13 6:32 AM by Hadukon

People act like Nates only fight at 170 was against rory. Hes 2-2 in the UFC WW division.

Hadukon site profile image

11/29/13 6:31 AM by Hadukon

That's what happens when you have Cesar Gracie is your manager