Iole: Rousey brand intact after TUF

Days before TUF 18 debuted on FOX Sports 1, Ronda Rousey conducted an interview with UFC-champ-ronda-rousey-braces-for-worst-in-tuf-18">MMAJunkie, in which she expressed concerns that she did not come across well in the reality television series.

"I think it was very good for the women's division, and I think it definitely needed to happen," said Rousey. "But you couldn't pay me $10 million to do it again."

"How could people possibly know who you are from a couple of clips of a video that people are seeing out of context? That's no way for people to get to know you, so I'm just preparing for people to get the worst idea of who I am."

Now the The Ultimate Fighter 18 is one night from over, and the season did indeed cast Rousey in a dim light on numerous occasions. However, Yahoo Sports' Kevin Iole argues that her brand is undiminished.

None of it detracts from her primary gig as the UFC women's bantamweight champion. Her job is not only to fight and retain her title, but also to sell tickets and pay-per-views.

After just one fight in the UFC, a victory in February over Liz Carmouche, Rousey is already one of the sport's biggest stars, male or female. It's fair to say that only welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre clearly exceeds her as a draw. Some might argue that light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and/or middleweight champion Anderson Silva may exceed her in terms of star power.

That may be true, but it's by no means a slam dunk, and Rousey is a fighter on the rise. Fans clearly want to see her fight and nothing that happened during Season 18 figures to impact that.

She may not have come across as America's sweetheart, but anyone who expected her to be that didn't really know her in the first place. Rousey is an attractive woman with a quick wit and a gift for verbal warfare, and those talents along with her dominant fighting style have contributed to her popularity.

Her stint as a coach may not have portrayed her the way she might have wanted, but it certainly did nothing to hurt her as a drawing card.

Read entire article...

So what do you think UG? How did TUF 18 impact your impression of Ronda Rousey? Are you going to watch her fight Miesha Tate at UFC 168 on December 28? Don't lie ;-)

UFC Women\'s Ronda Rousey UFC 168 Walkout Shirt

UFC Women's Ronda Rousey UFC 168 Walkout Shirt

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

tags: UFC   Ronda Rousey (detail)

BuddyRevell site profile image

12/1/13 10:58 AM by BuddyRevell

Ronda's quote about Miesha regretting "every smile she smirks" is almost Shakespearean imo.

CaptChaos site profile image

12/1/13 10:48 AM by CaptChaos

Ronda was very annoying last night in her interviews. She calls Meisha fake but IMHO Rhonda came off as fake when being asked questions. Her response on more than 1 occasion was "I'd rather be in the back talking to my fighters that lost instead of talking to you guys." Who says that? There was nothing witty about that at all and IMO she didn't seem sincere. I think she was acting like she REALLY cared. I call BS!Also she said "I didn't talk to Peggy before the fight cause we went our separate ways after filming. Jessamyn moved into my house right before we started shooting and it was hard because they were both on my team. What am I going to say to Peggy?" Now that wasn't taken verbadum but that was the gist of it. My question is... Why didn't she talk to Peggy well before the fight last night and let her know they would be training and cornering Jessamyn and explain the situation? Why did she wait and make a big deal about it After the fact? Again I think it came off as fake and she has been claiming Meisha was fake all season. There's a word used in psychology called Projection. It's when people say things about others but what they are really doing is describing themself. I think Rhonda does a lot of Projecting. Meisha looked very calm and grounded last night. You can tell Rhonda's mind games did not work this time around and it's bothering Rhonda. Meisha flipped the script. There will be a lot of pressure on Rhonda in this fight. She's a 1 trick pony for sure. The problem is her 1 trick is amazing. Liz Carmouche had her back. Her back can be taken. She a not a great BJJ practitioner. She a a great Judo player with her throws and arm bars. Meisha is going to give her a big run for her $$$ and if she can stay out of bad positions I think she can beat Rhonda in the other aspects of the fight. Just my 2 cents!

Yussarian site profile image

11/30/13 11:44 PM by Yussarian

This guy (lole)is making assumptions, that's all. Doesn't make it true. If people are tuning in to see her getting knocked out, that doesn't mean that her brand is still in tact. She is selling fights however, but all it would take for her is to lose (which will most likely not happen for a while).They wouldn't be addressing this brand problem if it really didn't concern them. But yet damage control is still going on. Nothing against Rhonda, but she isn't a Diaz, who successfully and convincingly sell the badboy image. I think she looked miserable during the season, not badass. Miserable and bipolar. Before this season of TUF I wouldn't have quite said it like this.

TOAO site profile image

11/30/13 10:42 PM by TOAO

Iole guy is retarded

TOAO site profile image

11/30/13 10:41 PM by TOAO

Rousy is not a draw. No one buys a card to just see her.

octowussy site profile image

11/30/13 9:50 PM by octowussy

"quick wit and a gift for verbal warfare"Uh... what? All she does is give people the finger. What is this dude smoking?

The Principal site profile image

11/30/13 8:46 PM by The Principal

Her brand is hurt by both the lack of competition and her dramatics.

UGCTT_Charles Bronsons Mustache site profile image

11/30/13 5:52 PM by UGCTT_Charles Bronsons Mustache

Heres one. He has never ONCE turned down a make-a-wish kid.

pegson123 site profile image

11/30/13 5:46 PM by pegson123

She has passionate love and hate. No indifferent ppl

slowdiver site profile image

11/30/13 4:32 PM by slowdiver

Did Iole really just refer to her as having "a quick wit and a gift for verbal warfare"? Really dude?

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!