Happy Warrior depressed by thoughtless UGers

There has been a simple request on The UnderGround since the late 90s - post about a fighter as if you were speaking with the individual face to face. On Saturday night Roxanne Modafferi fought her heart out as always, but came up short vs. Raquel Pennington, losing a unanimous decision.

Win or lose Modafferi has always served as an exemplar of kindess and courage.

In a poignant post fight blog, Modafferi offers yet a reminder, that fighters are people, and that fans need to post as if fighters are there, because they are.

About my fight in the UFC

It was an honor to fight in the UFC last night- the ultimate stage that every fighter is aspiring to.

I had three goals last night in the UFC:
1) do the techniques my coach John Wood taught me and perform well;
2) prove that I belong in the UFC, and
3) win the fight.

If I do the first two, the third would come naturally.

I met the first goal! I didn’t meet the third goal. Last night I thought I met the second goal. Someone I respected last night said, “You belong here!” I was so happy I started to cry. But then I read the Underground Forums, fans negative opinions, and now I’m depressed. :{ Even my UG brothers who usually support me don’t think I belong. They say that my stand up was the worst they’ve ever seen in the UFC. Oh, man. :{

Well, Mike Pyle, a coach at my gym, said it best to be at our dinner last night: All that matters is what Roxy feels and what Roxy thinks. And take things away from the fight and build on it to make myself better. That’s the bottom line. John said he was pleased with my progress. *I* think that my stand up was the best it’s ever been in MY career. Am I a super-awesome striker? No, definitely not. But when I was in there, I could feel my technique coming together. I could see and feel her reactions and movement like never before. I actually think I did worse when I went for the take-downs. I should have done a few things differently.

It bothers me a lot when websites are like, “This is Roxanne’s sixth loss in a row!!” IT’S NOT, man, because I won my fight to get into the house. It doesn’t go on paper, since it’s TUF. But my mind is not on a 6 fight losing streak. This was my 28th fight. I’m on a two-fight losing streak, damnit! There’s a difference!

A UFC staff member asked me if I needed anything after the fight. I said, “Ice cream.” He said, “I can’t get you that, but I can get you cookies!” So he did! Hah <3

It was cool being in the same locker room as Jessamyn, Shayna, and Julianna. It was awesome seeing my former coaches and housemates again. It’s kind of bizarre how much of a family they seem now! I love them dearly.

btw if you’d like to buy my T-shirt, you can here! syndicateworldwide.com/product/happy-warrior

It was SO hard watching the fights of my TUF-mates. Peggy and Jessamyn, man I wish they could both win. Davey and Chris…both are awesome. Julianna and Rakoczy, I love them both. It hurt my heart! But congrats to the winners.

It was an amazing experience. Man, I entered, walking into the light of the camera guy, who was walking backwards… fans were hanging over the railings screaming out and clapping. All the bright lights and colors. It was surreal and awesome. It was an honor. It was my dream. I hope everyone liked my music – The Power Rangers! LOL And I hope people were entertained by our fight. The people who came up to me afterwards asking for pictures….thank you! It really made me feel loved. How could I be depressed when other people were so happy about meeting me? Seriously, thank you.

It was cool meeting Ariel Helwani again! :D One of my favorite reporters! And Royce Gracie (who had given me by blue belt! He didn’t remember me, though, lol). I didn’t recognize him without the hair, so we’re even! lol I was like, “Are you….are you….?” I didn’t want to seem dumb if it wasn’t him. LOL He said, “Royce.” haha

And Stephen Bonnar was sitting right in front of me when I went out into the stands! I was like, “Pssst, Heather, is that Stephan Bonnar?!”

And did I meet Kevin Randleman?!? I think it was him! He was nice to me! And hearing Mr. Bruce Buffer announce my name! :D He came up to me afterwards! What an honor.

Thank you to the UFC for making my dream come true. Thanks to Raquel for the great fight.

Well….. I’m feeling pretty torn right now. Pleased with my own improvement, but bummed about my future. :( But in reality, we don’t live in the future. It is not here yet. And it’s truly impossible to predict. Right? I enjoyed yesterday. Yesterday was worthy of a long-term dream. When I smiled on the camera, it wasn’t forced. I fought in the UFC!!!

Read entire blog...

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

tags: UFC   Roxanne Modafferi (detail)

eXtv site profile image

12/6/13 9:46 PM by eXtv

I honestly don't know how anyone with a pair of functioning eyes can watch that fight and say either of them looked 'great'. It was an awful fight.

ChaosOverkill site profile image

12/4/13 5:58 AM by ChaosOverkill

Not you don't, insecurity is not something people can control, no matter how secure or narcissistic people want to believe it's just a switch. Coping mechanisms can be developped but no one with secutiry issues has the ability to "not think about it", it is part of the underlying disorder or unresolved issue. Pop psychology wants to make it out to be simple solutions and avoidance, nonsense for yuppies and soccer moms and people who want to believe everything the pharmaceutical industry does is evil. I'm not saying you can't lessen it or that the Pharma industry doesn't have problems but "turning off" the impact of haters and detractors if what they do bother's a person? Not a chance.

MattyJ site profile image

12/4/13 5:40 AM by MattyJ

I think her stand up looks worse than it is she has a very awkward clunky looking style but she did well the other night against a decent striker just lacks power, feels bad that the UG upset her, she's a great person and hopefully the majority of comments are positive

PermitMeFisticuffsBrother site profile image

12/4/13 3:46 AM by PermitMeFisticuffsBrother

Haters gonna hate

salmonstinks site profile image

12/3/13 10:34 AM by salmonstinks

Honestly, her fight reminded me of kenflo vs. diaz.Kenflo and Roxy were both game, and did really well, but in the end were just undersized for the fight.If the division was 125 instead of 135 then I think there would have been a very different outcome.War ROXY, I thought she looked great, as did Raquel.

dvdbct site profile image

12/3/13 10:18 AM by dvdbct

I think everyone is entitled to an opinion about a professional athlete, good or bad. The need to hold your resume high in order to make a comment is ridiculous.I agree that pro athletes should see it this coming and accept citiques from both sides with a grain of salt. Only their immediate trainers should give them true advise.When it comes to one sided fighters. Ultimate Fighter is all about giving these fighters a shot. Unfortunatly, if they are severly lacking in one aspect, remember Marcus Jones with his terrible striking as well, they are quickly removed from the UFC.Roxanne has the best mentality towards the sport I've seen. I think Roxanne should follow the saying those who can, do; those who can't, teach.

snobordr site profile image

12/3/13 9:52 AM by snobordr

That makes more sense. I commend your rewording. I'm not here to blindly defend anyone, because anyone who's seen me striking knows I have no business commenting on someone else's striking ability. I also think that this illustrates perfectly the problem. I don't know, but I would assume, that a professional athlete in any sport would not have their feelings hurt by someone honestly criticizing technique. Goalie X is too quick to go down on 2 on 1's, Cornerback Y plays too far off the receivers on deep routes, MMArtist Z has poor technique and doesn't use their body to generate enough power in their strikes. What pisses people off is blanket statements like your first wording, where it comes across as just some sort of elitist "you suck" type thing. But props for your correction, I honestly was expecting a "Come at me bro" response, and I'm impressed.

INDK site profile image

12/3/13 3:05 AM by INDK

She looked good out there, always been a fan. Good job roxy, keep making the improvements necessary.

pandrews76 site profile image

12/3/13 2:03 AM by pandrews76

Roxy -- still my favorite fighter.

Kid_dynamite319 site profile image