Mousasi using karate sparring to prepare for Machida

Lyoto Machida represents a unique style that can often be hard to mimick in training. His mix of footwork, boxing, and karate have presented a challenge to almost everyone has faced. His next opponent, Gegard Mousasi, knows how difficult this challenge can be, but is trying to prepare the best he can:

"I already know how Machida fights style-wise," Mousasi told MMAFighting.com, "and I have a training partner that has fought him twice in karate, so I will be ready for him."

Mousasi is also training with Satoshi Ishii, who has trained in the past with "The Dragon" at Black House in Los Angeles, but he hasn’t called Ishii to get inside information from Machida’s training camp.

"That was a long time ago, and that’s now why here’s here for," he said. "We’re helping each other. I’m already training and in shape. It’s basically getting shape now, and then concentrate in my fight."

Few fighters were able to stand and do well against the Brazilian, but Mousasi is confident his aggressive style will help him.

"I’m more of a kickboxer, he’s a counter puncher," he said. "He takes his time and has good feeling of distance. My style is to come forward and keep the pressure, so I think I’m gonna match up really well."

Affliction Shockwave Rusted Shirt

Affliction Shockwave Rusted Shirt

Venum Competitor Brazil Inspired Dry Fit Shirt

Venum Competitor Brazil Inspired Dry Fit Shirt

DoomFarmer site profile image

12/17/13 7:18 PM by DoomFarmer

I want to say Kang actually landed a decent punch on him shortly before getting strangled.Been a while since I've seen it though so I may be mistaken.

gamechanger site profile image

12/17/13 7:05 PM by gamechanger

Ive seen most of Mousasi's high profile fightsBut i was wondering, has Mousasi ever even been rocked in a fight? I cant recall any times hes been rocked?

WendyIDMT site profile image

12/17/13 6:51 PM by WendyIDMT

Ditto.

The Sultan site profile image

12/17/13 6:48 PM by The Sultan

Can't wait for this fight.

Doc T site profile image

12/17/13 6:30 PM by Doc T

If mousasi fights machida similar to many of his other fights and starts at a slower pace he will get finished.

gamechanger site profile image

12/17/13 5:55 PM by gamechanger

Great postMost think of Mousasi has a kickboxer....but in truth Mousasi is much much more of a boxerMousasi has tight technical boxingAnd on the feet, he's very methodicalAt first I was thinking Mousasi's slow paced style would play right into Machida's hands(You cant wait for Machida to leave an opening, he wont, you have to force Machida to make a mistake)But then I was also thinking, that Mousasi could maybe throw Machida off by working behind the jabI keep going back and fourthI have no fucking clue how this fight will play out lol

gamechanger site profile image

12/17/13 5:48 PM by gamechanger

Yes, Shogun and Anderson use to train together and are good friendsThey likely wont ever fight....but its still always been a dream match up of mine

DoomFarmer site profile image

12/17/13 5:41 PM by DoomFarmer

I am very excited for this fight but I would be legitmately surprised if it ends in anything other than a Machida victory.Mousasi has fought way to relaxed lately and has been really slow to start in the past couple of years.He needs to come in with a sense of urgency and look to make a statement here, although a relaxed and laid back approach might actually benefit him this time around...Very interesting matchup.A fan of both guys but if I absoloutely had to pick someone to root for, I have to go with GAYHARD simply because I want him to live up to his full potential while in the UFC.

Wasa-B site profile image

12/17/13 5:30 PM by Wasa-B

This will be a very interesting challenge for both guys. Moussasi seems to need to find his riddum/timing though, like every striker, but more so him? Lets see how they adapt to each other

LyotoBundy site profile image

12/17/13 5:23 PM by LyotoBundy

Aren't they friends/ex training partners?