Shooto Brazil to feature man vs. women on Friday night

Japanase MMA was infamous for its freakshow fights. Royce Gracie vs. Akebono, Fedor vs. Zuluzinho, and Hong Man Choi vs. Jose Canseco are not bouts that would likely have been made anywhere else.

However, those do not top the news out of Brazil - Guilherme Cruz writing for MMAFighting reports that Shooto Brazil 45 in Rio de Janeiro on Friday will feature a bout between a man and a woman.

Bantamweights Emerson Falcao (0-1) and Juliana Velasquez (0-0) will compete in a professional three-round bout. Falcao is part of promoter Andre Pederneira' Nova Uniao. Velasquez is part of Team Nogueira.

Falcao reported he was hurt and would be unable to fight; it was then that Pederneiras thought outside the box.

"Andre Pederneiras came up with the idea," Velasquez told MMAFighting.com. "He asked Team Nogueira for a female fighter and my team believes I’m ready, so I accepted the challenge. My expectations are the best. I’m well trained to get there and win.

"I’m used to training with man every day. I’m a professional judoka and I know the adrenaline of the competition, I know how to handle this."

What say you UG? Is it right or even fair for Shooto to match a 135 lb. man with a 135 lb. female in a mixed rules combat event?

Update:

Osiris Maia, member of the Brazilian Mixed Martial Arts Confederation, the entity responsible for regulating the Shooto Brazil events, is not sure if they will allow the male vs. female fight to happen.

"There’s nothing in the rules that specific prohibits a man to fight a woman, but when you interpret the rules you know that both athletes must be in the same level, so there’s no way a man should be allowed to fight a woman," Maia told MMAFighting.com.

"We haven’t received the official card yet from the promotion, we’ll get that tomorrow at the weigh-ins," he continued. "I wasn’t informed about that yet. They announced it to the media only, but if you ask me if we’re allowing it to happen, I don’t think so. I think it’s a disparity. We’ll see what’s going on tomorrow at the weigh-ins."

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

JAKKS Pacific Series 1 Evan Tanner Action Figure

JAKKS Pacific Series 1 Evan Tanner Action Figure

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Keith Jardine Action Figure

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Keith Jardine Action Figure

Testosterone 2Epitestosterone site profile image

12/20/13 1:57 AM by Testosterone 2Epitestosterone

Called that shit! I knew it was a publicity stunt. Duh

Testosterone 2Epitestosterone site profile image

12/20/13 1:57 AM by Testosterone 2Epitestosterone

Called that shit! I knew it was a publicity stunt. Duh

PsychoPatt site profile image

12/19/13 5:47 PM by PsychoPatt

Voted up for finding the clarification story ^The fake fight was a way to promote Shooto Brazil’s support to "Lei Maria da Penha", a law created to stop violence against women in Brazil.In the Brazilian MMA Confederations' words "There’s no way a man should fight a woman. This is being done only to show the society the importance of ‘Lei Maria da Penha’. You can’t have a man beating a woman in a sport, so it shouldn’t happen anywhere. That’s what they want to show."

PsychoPatt site profile image

12/19/13 5:47 PM by PsychoPatt

Internettufguy site profile image

12/19/13 2:58 PM by Internettufguy

Eddie Bravo needs to have a talk with this guy. Hell, if Jessamyn Duke "kills" 90% of the men on the planet, this girl has a shot!

DanChow site profile image

12/19/13 2:58 PM by DanChow

Official: Man vs. woman fight won't happen at Shooto Brazil 45http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/12/19/5228134/official-man-vs-woman-fight-wont-happen-at-shooto-brazil-45

Internettufguy site profile image

12/19/13 2:58 PM by Internettufguy

DanChow site profile image

12/19/13 2:58 PM by DanChow

Kneeblock site profile image

12/19/13 2:49 PM by Kneeblock

I hope she beats the holy crap out of him just to make the UG lose its mind, but I'm reasonably certain the fight won't happen.

Kneeblock site profile image