Weidman: I want to solidify my belt

Although Chris Weidman is the undisputed UFC middleweight champion, he knows that to be a real champion, you must defend the title:

"I feel the same as a lot of other champions. I feel like to solidify my championship, I need to defend my belt and especially going against the same guy, with everybody saying it was a fluke. It's not really extra pressure, just more motivation to prove them wrong. I'm just excited to go out there and prove them wrong."

Weidman shockingly knocked out Silva in the second round of their championship duel at UFC 162 in "Sin City." And the pride of New York does not feel like he has to own up to another knockout or win the fight differently a second time around.

"I'm going to go out there and try to finish him whether it's on the feet or the ground. I'll take either one. Whatever I feel like I could get at the time, I'll take it," he said.

War Wrap Ez Rip Sports Tape

War Wrap Ez Rip Sports Tape

Elevation Training Mask 2.0 Matrix Sleeve

Elevation Training Mask 2.0 Matrix Sleeve

Chiron site profile image

12/20/13 2:23 PM by Chiron

It's plasma.

KingofBJJ site profile image

12/19/13 7:41 PM by KingofBJJ

I don't dislike Chris, but he is going to fucked up.

Wasa-B site profile image

12/19/13 5:19 PM by Wasa-B

Big Andy fan but some of the Andy nutriders will absolutely claim the first fight was a fluke if he wins the rematch.

dermotfix site profile image

12/19/13 4:17 PM by dermotfix

Say hi to your unicorn for me in your magical dreamworld.

Vote me down site profile image

12/19/13 3:28 PM by Vote me down

lol

eljamaiquino site profile image

12/19/13 2:45 PM by eljamaiquino

I don't remember anyone saying that. People said that he didn't deserve a title shot, which is still true.

unchillphil site profile image

12/19/13 2:40 PM by unchillphil

Not even close to champ material, but top 5 in the division, what the hell does that mean? He actually IS the champ, so regardless of this next fight and even if he went on to lose his next 10 fights and retire, he was champ material at one point, no?

MattyECB site profile image

12/19/13 2:27 PM by MattyECB

There was a great bloodyelbow judo chop on the kneebar attempt Weidman went for in the first round after taking down AS and mashing him a bit... I never realized how close that sub attempt actually wasI really do think AS, for all his love and history of mind games, just got nervous and lost after theh afirst round. He really lost his cool. I'm excited to see how this second tilt goes now that they've both had a chance to calm down, rewatch the fight and prepare mentally

TheSuperiorMan site profile image

12/19/13 1:56 PM by TheSuperiorMan

Some of you guys forget that Weidman was in no danger the whole fight, he literally force silva to play games because silva had nothing going for him. This fight will either end ko or decision >Winner Weidman

Billyz site profile image

12/19/13 1:46 PM by Billyz

the division looks like a fucking shark tank with Vitor Machida and even Jacare all swimming around near by. Whoever wins doesn't have a cake walk in his next few fights. Middle weight is talent rich for the first time in a long time compared to how weak it was historically.

MMA clothing and gear