Brent Weedman retires to focus on family and post-fighting career

Bellator welterweight Brent Weedman, 29, has retired from mixed martial arts competition in order to focus on family and his post-fight career

Following an undefeated amateur stint, Weedman turned pro in 2005, going 22-9. A fighter for Bellator MMA since 2010, Weedman went 8-4 for the organization. Notable career wins inlclude J.J. Ambrose, Dan Hornbuckle, Douglas Lima, and Marius Zaromskis.

His management team Sucker Punch Entertainment, released a statement:

We are sad to announce that Bellator MMA standout Brent Weedman is retiring from MMA. Brent called us over the holidays to let us know this was a hard decision for him and he is very grateful for all the opportunities he has had along the way. With the latest addition to his family, Brent wants to simply focus on being a dad, husband and his post fight career. It has been a pleasure working with Brent and watching him climb the ranks in Bellator. We look forward to what the future holds for Brent and his family and wish them all the best! You will always have a home at SP if you decide to come back Brent! Cheers!

In a previous interview with MMAJunkie, Weedman discussed what is important in life.

“There’s a quote from the book ‘Contact’ that I love but will probably butcher,” said Weedman. “The author talks about humans receiving a transmission from aliens, and the message is something along the lines of, ‘In this vast and largely empty universe, the only thing we’ve found to give us any warmth and meaning is each other.’ When you sort of understand that – I don’t know how to say it without sounding like an a–hole – but you don’t matter and your place in life and the universe is largely insignificant, so the warmth you get from your friends and family is all that matters.

“I’m not a fighter, I’m a father. I know it’s cliche, but that’s all that really matters. The mark I make on the world will be as a father.”

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Hayabusa Fade Flip Flop

Hayabusa Fade Flip Flop

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

tags: Brent Weedman

hendofanforlife site profile image

1/24/14 3:18 PM by hendofanforlife

ttt for chris's obvious ufc bias lol

Fight! UK Online site profile image

1/3/14 7:51 AM by Fight! UK Online

All the best mate - you were a great fighter to watch, and I'm sure your post-fighting endeavours will be just as successful. Loved that quote you gave and I really feel the same way. Just signed with Suckerpunch myself btw, so we were briefly stablemates. Take it easy and enjoy life!

brahmabull81 site profile image

1/3/14 2:49 AM by brahmabull81

You shouldnt be shocked. You are a great, durable fighter that had success in the second biggest organization out there right now. Id love to see you fight more but I respect the pedestal you put your family on and with you and your loved ones nothing but the best.Plus you have my favorite last name in MMA.

flawlessvictory site profile image

1/3/14 2:46 AM by flawlessvictory

* next chapter of life I Can't edit on the app

flawlessvictory site profile image

1/3/14 2:45 AM by flawlessvictory

Good luck in your next chapter of like Brent! Brian Rogers

CavRyda site profile image

1/3/14 12:57 AM by CavRyda

I trained under you in BJJ at Derby Cirty MMA and I am grateful for that, best of luck to you and your family

mandible site profile image

1/2/14 4:30 PM by mandible

shit get this guy a green!

Reed Rothchild site profile image

1/2/14 4:23 PM by Reed Rothchild

Glad he retired too early instead of too late... Good luck in future endeavors

byakurenbrent site profile image

1/2/14 4:17 PM by byakurenbrent

I am shocked that my retirement made the almighty underground! When I was coming up, and television wasn't an option, my definition of having "arrived" was getting mentioned on this message board. I appreciate the love I've received from fans all over the world. I'm still surprised to learn that people other than my friends have even seen me fight or heard of me. This sport has given a lot to me, and I'm forever grateful. "I will die shitting on my pants like everybody else, but knowing who I was, you know? Knowing for sure and truly who I was." -Renzo

smth416 site profile image

1/2/14 11:59 AM by smth416

is he getting into the milk business?