Bisping, Longo criticize Belfort's TRT

The next challenger for Chris Weidman's middleweight championship is Vitor Belfort, who fought three times last year, winning each by KO, via head kick. Bout will likely be in May.

However, as UFC president Dana White says "the one thing that’s guaranteed every day when I wake up is that bad s--- happens, and I have to deal with it." The bad s--- in this case is Belfort's use of Testosterone Replacement Therapy. One potential cause of low testosterone is prior abuse of steroids, and Belfort tested positive in Las Vegas in 2006. Thus the Nevada State Athletic Commission has expressed reservations about licensing Belfort, and the UFC intends to hold the fight in Vegas.

Belfort has been granted Therapeutic Use Exemptions for TRT by other commissions, but Nevada is particularly careful in this regard.

Belfort expressed confidence that he would be licensed/

"I'm able to fight anywhere," said Belfort. "I have done everything by the book. Everybody knows that people cheat, but I don't. I'm very open and very loyal to my principles."

Chris Weidman's head trainer Ray Longo took a contrary stance in an interview with ESPN.com last week.

"I know Chris is beating the guy but why give him an advantage?" Longo said. "Why does he deserve that? All he did was abuse his body with steroids so that now he needs the exemption. It's bulls---."

In an interview with Stephie Daniels, Mchael Bisping expressed similar reservations, but added that even if Belfort is denied a TUE, he will still have the benefit of training for years while using TRT. "The Count" was one of the three losers via headkick to Belfort last year, and thus the issue is personal.

I don't really know what the commission bases those exemptions on, so I don't know if that previous positive test precludes a TUE forever, or if there's a certain time period that may have passed. I don't have those details, but I'm sure he's definitely going to try to get that exemption. You just can't deny the fact that he's been massively successful since he's been on TRT. If he wants to maintain that success, I'm sure he'll apply for an exemption certificate.

I'm sure he'll do everything by the book. It has to be for the UFC. Will he get one? I don't know. I'm not Keith Kizer. I will be watching very closely, to see how this whole thing unfolds. Will it affect him? Definitely. He hasn't fought outside of Brazil for a while now.

The thing is, coming off TRT for one fight isn't really going to make that much of a difference, because he's still going to have that excess muscle mass. He'll still be able to have that to his benefit, and those elevated levels early on in his training camp. Coming off it for one fight isn't going to kill that, especially if he eats right and trains hard. It's a bit of an unfair advantage.

I still want to fight him again, but I want to fight him clean, and long enough for the testosterone levels to come down to normal or what they should be for a man his age. I would imagine that takes about six months to a year, but again, I'm not a physician, so I don't know the exact details of all that.

If the NSAC says he can't have the exemption, they need to get him tested right now, and test him repeatedly, the same way they did with Barnett and Browne, all the way up to fight night. If they don't do that, and just test him the day of the fight, he'll just use the stuff up until three or four weeks before the fight, and then stop to get his levels down again. For Chris Weidman, who is a clean fighter, to have to come in against a guy with an unfair advantage, that's just not right.

Read entire interview...

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

Jaco Vitor Belfort Blackzilians Lion Crew Shirt

Jaco Vitor Belfort Blackzilians Lion Crew Shirt

DoomFarmer site profile image

1/7/14 2:31 AM by DoomFarmer

Wouldn't be shocked if it ends up happening like that anyway

daba site profile image

1/7/14 2:19 AM by daba

TRT Vitor is the king but yeah there's also TRT Hendo, TRT Chael, TRT Marquardt, etc. It's worse if you've been busted for juicing before but even if you haven't you'll always have an asterisk next to your name.

SOO72 site profile image

1/7/14 2:10 AM by SOO72

LOL at Bisping wanting to fight him again only if he is a drained old man. These guys need to stop being the teacher's pet and get in there and fight.. on TRT themselves if necessary. If you can legally have more test than you do, then why not do it if your competition is? Those are the rules and their whole argument is that it's not fair.. but if it's within the rules it can't be unfair by nature. One fighter fights another knowing they are on TRT and they choose not to do the same, even though they could do it legally and raise their own test and stay within the legal limits.. that's their problem.

ajjr0ller site profile image

1/7/14 1:00 AM by ajjr0ller

Ufc fighters are tested more rigorously than athletes in most other American sports. Even the Tour De France and Olympic drug testing are made to look foolish by the athletes at the top. Now, I personally don't care which guys are taking what or the restrictions put in place because at the end of the day these top tier athletes will find their way around the tests.

BernardHopkins site profile image

1/6/14 10:36 PM by BernardHopkins

didnt rampage insinuate bisping was on the trt not too long ago?

Muzalini site profile image

1/6/14 10:34 PM by Muzalini

If you NEED TRT you should retire! But Bisping is wrong on how long it takes to get out if your system. You can feel the effects within a couple weeks of being off it

MMALOGIC site profile image

1/6/14 9:43 PM by MMALOGIC

It sounds like the may 31st event is in Brazil this year which will be the brazil tuf finale (wand vs chael).  If you include Vitor vs Weidman you could sell a stadium.

PVJ site profile image

1/6/14 9:29 PM by PVJ

It really does come down to more sport vs. more entertainment.

Bipolar site profile image

1/6/14 9:19 PM by Bipolar

For the most part, it appears that this ongoing discussion of Vitor and trt assumes that Vitor is using trt only, and using it at the allowable levels. But does anyone seriously believe this is the case? And if he is using trt at higher levels than is allowed, and/or using other PEDs as well, does that change the conversation? In other words, I don't believe this is about Vitor working the system LEGALLY, as a lot of posters are suggesting, but rather it's about Vitor cheating. For those who somehow view critical remarks about cheating as 'whining,' I can only say that that perspective is entirely irrational, emotionally driven adolescent nonsense. If a fighter came in 30lbs overweight would that be a legitimate reason to complain? How about if a fighter used plastered wraps; can that be criticized? It is simply absurd to characterize criticism of illegal conduct as whining.

Yussarian site profile image

1/6/14 8:06 PM by Yussarian

I get it. He is not the only one on TRT. But if you are knocking out people left and right while on the stuff, you are going to stand out. Which is understandable. I love to watch him fight, he IS a great fighter, but he needs to fight in the US. This will take away some doubt or it will expose him.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!