Faber didn't hesitate to take Barao fight

When Dominick Cruz revealed he was injured to the UFC, President Dana White called Urijah Faber directly to approach him about taking a fight for the title on only three weeks notice. Faber didn't hesitate:

The fight against Barao will be Faber’s fifth in 11 months – a blistering pace by UFC standards, to be certain. Before tapping McDonald at UFC on FOX 9 in front of his home Sacramento crowd, he beat Yuri Alcantara, and submitted Scott Jorgensen and Ivan Menjivar, for a 4-0 2013.

After the McDonald fight, Faber couldn’t have predicted Cruz would fall out and he’d be the beneficiary. But in the back of his mind was the thought that he could be matched up with the Cruz-Barao winner. That the title shot came quicker than expected is a boon, but it was one he didn’t have to hesitate in accepting when UFC President Dana White called him because of a philosophy that keeps him in fighting shape essentially year-round.

“It was actually Dana (who called me), and he said, ‘Hey, man, here’s the situation,’ and he said Dominick Cruz has ripped his leg apart and wanted to know if I was ready to step in,” Faber said. “I was like, ‘Damn. Ya know what? I’ll do it. Three and a half weeks.’

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Torque Urijah Faber UFC Fox 9 Walkout Shirt

Torque Urijah Faber UFC Fox 9 Walkout Shirt

RondaHonda'dmymangina3744 site profile image

1/8/14 9:48 AM by RondaHonda'dmymangina3744

HHAHAHAHA Nice.

jmfp site profile image

1/8/14 9:32 AM by jmfp

Dana: Cruz is out, we need you to save this card.Faber: I need more time to heal & cut weight.Dana: Check your email for bout agreement and bonus for saving our assFaber: I'm healthy and just started cutting weight.

VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT site profile image

1/8/14 8:32 AM by VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT

I would have called this fight for Barao again but after watching Faber torch Michael McDonald like he was a can, I am fucking excited. Faber looked like a 135 lb monster.

Affliction Blackbelt site profile image

1/8/14 8:25 AM by Affliction Blackbelt

Barao is too sleek to let this one slip. He can smell and taste that championship $$$

CHiLLEN site profile image

1/8/14 6:39 AM by CHiLLEN

As much as I like Barao, I just want Faber to finish off his career with the accolades of UFC Champion. He really does deserve it. If only they had the lower weight classes in the UFC years ago, I wouldn't be having this conversation. To be honest, it would suck to see Barao finally have a chance to be the undisputed champion, and to fall short after all those dominate wins with the interim.. Either way,I see him having the title in the future 100% if he was to lose to Faber.

MMA Lives Here site profile image

1/8/14 6:20 AM by MMA Lives Here

Barao wins again. He's a fucking stud

Inspector Lunge site profile image

1/8/14 6:19 AM by Inspector Lunge

"Does anyone have the details of cruz's injury? Did he tear his ACL again?" Torn groin.

The Sultan site profile image

1/8/14 6:16 AM by The Sultan

Does anyone have the details of cruz's injury? Did he tear his ACL again?ACL's are very fickle and hard to deal with. A lot of guys think its a quick process but it really isnt. It takes a lot of rehabbing to get it in the right place. Once its injured, its very difficult to come back from.

Mr Makaveli site profile image

1/8/14 5:54 AM by Mr Makaveli

Nothing a bit of money can't do

Thuglife13 site profile image

1/8/14 1:57 AM by Thuglife13

This^I thought he messed up his groin???