Rousey: Tate's handshake just for cameras

Ronda Rousey received a lot of flak from the fans and media for refusing to shake Miesha Tate's hand after defeating her at UFC 168, however Rousey believes the handshake was just Tate trying to look good on camera:

"I really think that if me and her fought alone in her gym if there weren't people there watching, she wouldn't have offered her hand to me," Rousey said at a Wednesday media luncheon. "Her actions were entirely influenced by being watched. My actions were all despite being watched."

The way Rousey saw it, because her gut instinct was to refuse the handshake, if she had gone ahead and shook hands anyway, she would not be true to herself or her camp.

"It's not a fakeable moment and it was entirely the right thing to do because I didn't think about it," Rousey said. "It was immediate. It was just like, ‘nope.' Maybe if I took the time to think about it I would have changed my mind, but then it would have been the wrong decision, because it would have meant that my first inclination, I mean, I had that for a reason."

Jaco Women\'s Patriot Crew Shirt

Jaco Women's Patriot Crew Shirt

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

Dead President site profile image

1/9/14 10:16 PM by Dead President

Great post

Genghis84 site profile image

1/9/14 5:21 PM by Genghis84

The funny thing is Miesha did the same thing before the second fight. Talking about Ronda having tons of holes in her game, is afraid to stand with her, has no gas tank, will break under pressure, etc. How about Miesha's comment about beating Ronda so bad that she quits the sport for good? Then Miesha wants to act like she respects her afterwards? Give me a break. BTW, here was Ronda's response to Miesha saying she was winning the first fight..."SD: Miesha stated that she felt she was winning until you caught her with the second armbar. What's your take on this?RR: I don't think there's any way she could argue that she was winning that fight at all. If you just look at the striking stats, I landed 43 strikes and she landed 11. If you look at the actual damage, she was bruised up on her leg and her face, not to mention her arm. The only point in the fight where she could say she was being the least bit dominant, is the part where she had my back, but she definitely landed fewer strikes from the back, and had zero submission attempts. The one time she tried to do something, she lost her position immediately. That wasn't a dominant position for her, that was pretty much her holding on for dear life. Every single takedown was me, I had the majority of the strikes, and I got the win. This all happened in four minutes, and if she assumes that the few seconds that she had my back, that she was the winner...well she wasn't doing anything productive there anyway, except prolonging the inevitable.SD: Miesha said during her interview that you didn't really prove much during your fight. How do you feel about that statement?RR: It just kind of makes her sound dumb. Everyone knows that I wanted to armbar her, and there was nothing she could do to stop me, even with months of preparation. I think that proves a lot. It's like she's not even looking at the actual situation. I don't know what match she was watching, to really think that. One of those pieces of advice that my mom tells me all the time is, 'Never listen to your own press.' The second I got out of that cage, my coach was already telling me a million things I did wrong. It just seems tome like she must be surrounded by a bunch of "yes men" all the time, saying stuff like, 'Oh yeah, you were winning. You were totally dominating.' If I was her, I would look at that match, look at what I did wrong, and try to fix it next time, and not be like 'I was totally winning before I lost.'SD: Miesha says that the only thing you're really good at is the armbar, and that she feels she excels in all other areas over you. Are there any areas you felt she was dominant in during your fight?RR: Then why did she get taken down three times? I had more takedowns than her. I had more submission attempts. I had more landed strikes. Even if you just look at it on paper, I had more dominant positions, more strikes...I beat her in every single category. Anyone watching the fight wouldn't have thought that she was winning at any point. I don't know what fight she was watching, but it might be a different one than the one I'm looking at."http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/3/13/2867151/ronda-rousey-miesha-tate-dumb#storyjumpRonda called it way back then.

Genghis84 site profile image

1/9/14 5:13 PM by Genghis84

Before the first fight..."I'm not really that worried about the armbar," Tate told Bleacher Report. "I think the biggest mistake I could make is focusing on what Ronda is going to do or what she can do versus what I'm going to do and what I can do.""I think it would be a big rookie mistake on my part to be training only armbar defense every single day. I'm not training to be in that position," said Tate. "I'm training to impose my will and my game plan which absolutely never involves being in an armbar."http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1083231-miesha-tate-im-not-making-the-rookie-mistakeAnd:"I don't think she's as tough as me, that's for sure. Ronda comes across as a spoiled, self-entitled rich kid that has had all the opportunities handed to her. Granted, she's made the most of them and I'm not going to take away from what she has accomplished, but I don't believe she's as good as everyone is hyping her up to be. It's all just a bunch of crap. I don't buy into it at all and I see right through it. She talks a big game, but the question is can she walk the walk. When she gets hurt she's going to crumble. I don't think that she's a fighter. She's been successful in judo, but we’ll see what happens when someone is trying to actually hurt her, not just throw her. I'm actually out for blood and I’m really going to try to hurt and maim her. I'm going to make this a fight and that's something that she has never dealt with before."One more from the same interview... "She's not a gold medalist. She's a bronze medalist and she tied for bronze. From what I understand, in the Olympics for judo they give out two bronze medals for third place and I believe that she lost that match and she still got a bronze medal. That means she took fourth place. She just lets people keep saying that she's a gold medalist and she doesn't even correct them. I don’t respect that. I don’t want to take credit for something that I didn't do. Ronda is obviously not that kind of a person and she does take credit for things she hasn't earned. She said things like she's been able to do in six months when it took me six years to accomplish. That kind of arrogance is not going to get her very far and it's going to make a lot of enemies. She's pissed off the wrong person and I'm going to be the one to punch her in the face for it. I'm stylistically different than anyone she's ever fought before and I'm going to make it a long night for her."http://guycodeblog.mtv.com/2012/03/01/miesha-tate-interview/After talking Ronda down for months, here is Miesha's response after she loses..."I, personally, would love the opportunity to have a rematch. I think at a high level, it takes one mistake. Anyone can make a mistake at any moment and someone's able to capitalize on that. I don't feel that Ronda proved anything other than what she's already (proved) -- that she has one thing that she's great at. Really phenomenal at. But everything else, I could beat her. Give me another shot. I think it was competitive. I think for the most part I was probably winning. And I think at a competitive high level, one day one person could beat the one person, and the other day the other person would beat the other person."http://www.mmamania.com/2012/3/12/2866325/miesha-tate-requests-ronda-rousey-rematch-broken-arm-showtime-strikeforce-female-mma

json123 site profile image

1/9/14 4:42 PM by json123

"We're talking about handshakes. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about handshakes, not the fight, not the fight, not the fight, but we're talking about handshakes. Not the fight that I go out there and die for and fight every fight like it's my last but we're talking about handshakes man. How silly is that?Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about handshakes. We're talking about handshakes man. We're talking about handshakes. We're talking about handshakes. We're not talking about the fight. We're talking about handshakes. When you come to the arena, and you see me fight, you've seen me fight right, you've seen me give everything I've got, but we're talking about handshakes right now."

Genghis84 site profile image

1/9/14 4:13 PM by Genghis84

Must have been distracted after the Zingano fight too? I don't remember her congratulating Cat in any interviews afterwards. Was probably too busy whining about how the fight was stopped too early, and Winslow needed to be fired.

Genghis84 site profile image

1/9/14 4:11 PM by Genghis84

It may have worked for superficial fans like yourself. Miesha doesn't respect Ronda on any level. Miesha made the comment before the fight that she wanted to beat Ronda so badly that she left the sport for good. Imagine if Gus said that before the Jones fight. What if Weidman said he wanted to permanently retire Anderson and then shook his hand afterwards? You would probably see the dude as a total phony.

Genghis84 site profile image

1/9/14 4:03 PM by Genghis84

Miesha did tap. The funny thing is that she was bragging before the first fight that she had the perfect game plan. That Ronda wouldn't be able to mount or armbar her. That Ronda wasn't a real fighter, and she would expose all her. Then after she lost? Nothing but excuses. And lame talk about how she was winning the fight up to the point that she got subbed. How is that classy?

KingofCommonSense site profile image

1/9/14 3:46 PM by KingofCommonSense

Rhonda, Rhonda, Rhonda...You poor, illiterate, sad, uneducated, ungrammatical, unsportswomanlike, excuse-making, no-responsibility-taking, immature woman. You don't know what's in a person's mind, and certainly didn't, in the spur and heat of the moment, come to that decision when her hand was offered. Grow up, little girl. There's more to life than knowing how to use an arm bar. Really, there is.

JudoknowNothing site profile image

1/9/14 3:07 PM by JudoknowNothing

Thanks Pittbull. Voted Up

Paka Ono site profile image

1/9/14 3:07 PM by Paka Ono

If Miesha is really the better person, then why did she try and rally her twitter fanbase to harass some gas station attendant over a pickle?Who does that kind of shit?Oh, crazy self absorbed chickas, thats who.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!