Tate cites 'inner turmoil', adrenaline dump in loss to Rousey

Miesha Tate made Ronda Rousey fight out of the first round and pushed her harder than any fighter previously had, but still came up short. Tate looked good, but not great in the fight, and cites a couple issues that led to her loss:

"I don'??t want to sound like I'??m complaining about it,"?? she continued. "??It was great having all that support. But that was the inner turmoil I was dealing with."

Despite having a great training camp, Tate said she had a huge adrenaline dump before she competed. Her muscles, she said, felt like "??noodles,"?? like she had sat in a hot tub and was in a state of relaxation when she needed to be explosive.

When she looked across the cage, she knew that Rousey was unlikely to be experiencing any of the same feelings. While for Tate, this was the first real time in the pressure cooker, Rousey had competed on the Olympic stage, and had a UFC main event under her belt.

When they tangled, Rousey took her down six times, and locked her into three arm bars before finishing in the third.

"??I felt like sh-t, to put it quite frankly," Tate said. "Watching it again, I looked better than I felt, but I really had to push myself because I felt horrible. I was trying to push out of first gear but it didn'??t really happen. I did a lot of good things defensively but I wasn'??t able to do some of the offensive things that we worked on."

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

Jaco Women\'s Patriot Crew Shirt

Jaco Women's Patriot Crew Shirt

Chomas site profile image

1/13/14 7:10 PM by Chomas

Technically we all watched her take a dump then.

MainelyBJJ site profile image

1/13/14 6:50 PM by MainelyBJJ

Quote saved for our next hunting debate!  LMAO  j/k   Tate got beat she needs to just regroup fight again and see where she lands......

TexDeuce site profile image

1/13/14 6:47 PM by TexDeuce

I hate fucking excuses. Miesha flat out lost to a better fighter. No two ways about it. I guess people have to make excuses and rationalize things to themselves because they can't handle the truth.

Genghis84 site profile image

1/13/14 5:47 PM by Genghis84

The funny thing is that Ronda had 10x as much pressure. She's the face of the sport, was up against a woman she already dominated, had tons of distractions leading up to the fight, and many people were rooting for her to fail. Then she comes out and gets booed. Does she lay an egg and make excuses afterwards? Nope. Ronda performed even better this time.Let's be honest. What pressure did Miesha really have? She was gifted a title shot and was a huge underdog going into this fight. Very few people expected her to actually win. This was basically a win-win situation for her. All she had to do was show up and survive for one round, and everybody would have praised her. Ronda? Anything less than almost complete domination would be seen as her getting exposed.

Genghis84 site profile image

1/13/14 5:35 PM by Genghis84

Finney is a lifelong can, and has spent most of her career being a highlight reel for her opponents. They were each others first fight that night, so I'm not sure how you could say that Finney was fresher than her. Not that Tate was saying that anyway. Her excuse was that Kaitlin Young (her next opponent) was fresher than her. The problem with this is that Finney is awful. She's the type of fighter you feed to someone to make them look good. Miesha struggled with her for four rounds, and looked terrible the entire time. If that had been me, I would have been embarrassed by my performance. But Miesha somehow spins this into a case of a bad match up against a very tough opponent.

catbath site profile image

1/13/14 5:00 PM by catbath

Wow. I'm in the minority. Doesn't sound like an excuse to me at all. Sounds like Tate is saying she wasn't as mentally strong as Rousey and suffered for it. Losing the mental portion of the fight is no different than being out struck or out grappled. In some ways, it's more humiliating.

JustSaying site profile image

1/13/14 3:39 PM by JustSaying

Stfu, you got outclassed, give Ronda her credit. Bitch.

JustSaying site profile image

1/13/14 3:37 PM by JustSaying

This.

Silverball site profile image

1/13/14 2:53 PM by Silverball

It was a figure of speech...

Jone2tone site profile image