Silva: Weidman shouldn't consider it a win; I would have won

Since lossing to Chris Weidman and breaking his leg at UFC 168, Anderson Silva has been quiet in the media, less a few tweets. Today however he spoke to Globo about the fight and explained why he believes that Chris Weidman doesn't deserve credit for a win:

"I believe that, if you pay attention to these technical details, you will see that (checking the kick) was instinct, not something that he trained to do," Silva said during an interview to Globo.

"No, I don’t think (Weidman should consider it a win). It was an accident. And I’m pretty sure I would have won the fight."

During the interview, Silva rewatched the fight and said he made some technical mistakes before throwing the leg kick.

"I can see some technical mistakes I did in the fight," he said. "To land the perfect kick, I needed to distract him by punching him in the face so he wouldn’t pay attention to the kick. He was protecting the upper part of his body, and the raised leg instinctively. The kick was so strong he lost balance."

Elevation Training Mask 2.0 Matrix Sleeve

Elevation Training Mask 2.0 Matrix Sleeve

War Wrap Ez Rip Sports Tape

War Wrap Ez Rip Sports Tape

Lazer MMA site profile image

1/14/14 6:16 PM by Lazer MMA

This is the sad part if true. I mean as I said I think AS was only trolling trying to sell a fight (why TF not?). His fans though...... Delusional

SOO72 site profile image

1/14/14 5:50 PM by SOO72

I guess you could say Anderson doesn't have a leg to stand on here.I hope there is a third fight so we can watch Weidman prove once more that he owns Anderson.

Soup and Beer site profile image

1/14/14 5:37 PM by Soup and Beer

I think most Silva fans consider it at worst a no contest, and at best a win for Silva.  In their eyes he would have won soon without the leg break.

Afragilesmile site profile image

1/14/14 4:15 PM by Afragilesmile

It's a win... is a great triumph? Not really... but it's still a win, and definitely wasn't a loss.

JudOWNED site profile image

1/14/14 2:18 PM by JudOWNED

I have to be honest that a freak injury isnt really a "win" in my eyes. Having said that, I cant agree with a single other thing Silva said. Weidman obviously trained to check that kick and has stated so. Also, while I think Anderson could jave come back to win, it would have been exactly that, aa comeback. Because he was losing the fight up until then.

LittleKang site profile image

1/14/14 1:43 PM by LittleKang

Listen to Chael people!!!!!

MattyECB site profile image

1/14/14 10:51 AM by MattyECB

I full agree, that's why I'm saying this isn't a matter of race. Real ethnicity in terms of genetic lineage -- an trust me, this is something I have some experience with -- has very little to do with what we perceive as race. I just meant compared to AS who appears black, you can bet he's not the same race as the other ppl he's being grouped with.Meaning I, and others, aren't trying to make a prejudiced statement on a group of people's genetics or intrinsic qualities, but rather their cultural background. There seems to be a huge pride in Brazilian gyms, which are clearly made up of disparate ethnicity.I also love Shogun and he's one of my favorite fighters, and after three complete reconstructive knee surgeries you can bet your ass his excuses are legitimate. Making excuses doesn't mean your a wuss or you're a sore loser, but it's a fact he can't let fights go, as I feel a lot of Brazilians can't -- But it's just an offhand comment, I'm clearly not saying it as gospel.Case in point for Shogun, he certainly was injured after the Forrest fight, but guess what? Forrest also had a serious injury -- it's just that Forrest didn't bother mentioning it until Shogun brought up his injury.

MattyECB site profile image

1/14/14 10:45 AM by MattyECB

So Silva got oustruck and taken down and GnPed 1st round of 1st fight -- also surviving what appeared to be, from the post-fight analyses, a close sub attempt. Got KTFO in the 2nd round of 1st round without showing anything besides a few leg kicks. Got KOed in 1st round of 2nd fight, but managed to survive. Then had his leg split after throwing non-set-up lazy leg kicks, and getting checked a few times -- the final time with a perfect knee spike instead of a shin block shattering his leg...And Silva's reasoning for this being a illegitimate win? Weidman didn't think of the check, he did it out of instinct... Uhhh, Silva, that doesn't mean Weidman didn't train the check, it means he trained it VERY WELLI mean, it's pretty obvious AS does all of his counter ghpunches by instinct and without any thought whatsoever

HiHu site profile image

1/14/14 10:44 AM by HiHu

This thread is kinda sad, as well as Silva himself.

SQUEEZIE site profile image

1/14/14 10:35 AM by SQUEEZIE

lol at "brazilians fighter mess up american fighters so often". the delusion was funny at first,its kinda sad now.