Rest in Peace Mauricio Zingano

Mauricio Zingano, BJJ coach, husband of UFC top contender Cat Zingano, and longtime UGer, passed away on Monday at his home in Denver, Colorado.

“Mr. Zingano was pronounced dead on Jan. 13 at his home,” said Jefferson County Chief Deputy Coroner Dan Pruett. “He was pronounced at 8:31 p.m.”

Brazil's Globo reports that manager Jorge Guimarães said the cause of death was suicide, via hanging.

"He hanged himself in Denver on Monday," said Guimarães. "It's unexplainable; I do not know what could have motivated him to do this. We were together and he was fine, had plans and a lifetime ahead. It's a tragedy. I'm going to Denver today to assist Cat, who is devastated."

Mauricio, 37, was third-degree black belt under Carlos Elias. He owned two Zingano Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu gyms in Colorado, in partnership with Black House MMA.

Mauricio left a cryptic message on his Facebook account the day he died.

"It matters to me that you all know I do these things, yes for me, but so much for you, my team and family," wrote Zingano. "You are and were always my inspiration. I know in time everything will fall in to place, but know I have loyalty to you that will never go away. Love always"

His wife Cat released a statement to MMAWeekly.

Late yesterday evening, I learned that my husband and soul mate of seven years, Mauricio Zingano, has passed away.

My life has changed irrevocably. I am shocked and deeply saddened. Thankfully, my family and friends are coming together to provide the support I need. I am grateful for them, as I know there are many difficult days ahead.

I also very much appreciate the outpour of support from the jiu-jitsu and mixed martial arts world. My husband was well known and respected in this close-knit community and I know he would appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers, as do I.

At this time, I respectfully ask everyone to give me privacy as I gather with relatives and friends. Again, I give thanks to all for the kind words and support.

Sincerely,

Cat Zingano

The UG joins the entire MMA community in offering condolences, thoughts, and prayers for Cat Zingano, their son Brayden, family and friends, and all of the students who had the honor of training at Zingano Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

Suicide is the 7th leading cause of death for males in the United States. If you suspect someone you know may be thinking about suicide, learn warning signs, know what questions to ask, and find out how to get help.

If you wish to make a donation to help with the surviving Zinganos with their expenses in the wake of this tragedy, CLICK HERE.

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

tags: UFC   Mauricio Zingano   Cat Zingano (detail)

Mil Mascaras site profile image

1/18/14 4:48 PM by Mil Mascaras

I've known him since the days at Caique. I was there when he got his black belt. Always the best guy and very positive. He would always take extra time to train the guys that wanted to do MMA. Truly a great loss. RIP brother.

GOREILLAMAN site profile image

1/16/14 9:35 PM by GOREILLAMAN

I notice the number of posts has gone down. Not gonna read back through that shit, but hopefully it's a good thing.

Kaizen site profile image

1/16/14 4:53 PM by Kaizen

No, the general population of an internet forum really doesn't have the "right to know."

the_truth_be_spoken site profile image

1/16/14 3:29 PM by the_truth_be_spoken

ppl have the right to know

Sparkplug303bjj site profile image

1/16/14 8:44 AM by Sparkplug303bjj

You have no fucking clue, you fucktard. You are talking to one of MZ's blackbelts and someone closely involved with this situation. Please keep your speculation and disrespect in your moms basement.

GOREILLAMAN site profile image

1/15/14 9:15 PM by GOREILLAMAN

I know this is the ug, but the disrespect in here still surprises me. Some of you are disgusting and pathetic.Mauricio was a great man and a great teacher. He did a huge amount of good for the bjj/mma community here in CO. he was also a huge positive influence on me when I first walked into his academy about 9 years ago when it was still located in a strip mall in Westminster. He really cared about the art and all of his students. He was also one of our ug brothers.

Hong Kong Phooey site profile image

1/15/14 3:42 PM by Hong Kong Phooey

saddened

Richard Tuck site profile image

1/15/14 3:06 PM by Richard Tuck

RIPprobably half the posts in here should be deleted.

Errk site profile image

1/15/14 3:03 PM by Errk

Listen man... I understand you've got your opinions on suicide for whatever reason. Maybe someone close to your took their life.That does not excuse your blatant disrespect to the people who've been hurt in this situation. There is nothing positive to gain from pointing fingers and speculating on things you have no idea about.There are people that are actually devastated by this news and you're shitting all over them so please just be a decent human and shut the fuck up unless you're giving your condolences to those affected.

Spiderneedsmoremilk site profile image

1/15/14 2:39 PM by Spiderneedsmoremilk

Hans...I am so sorry.NomoRomophobia

MMA apparel and training equipment
MMA clothing and gear