Mir not even considering retirement

Frank Mir is only thirty four years old, but riding a three fight losing streak into UFC 169, many have speculated that should he not win maybe retirement could be next.

Mir, however, believes that retirement is not in his immediate future, win or lose at UFC 169:

"I kind of know no matter what it's not going to be my last fight," Mir told ESPN.com. "I'm still younger than a lot of the guys in the division.

"There are two ways I would consider retirement. One is losing to guys who are not top-level competition. The other is if I started losing where it's like, 'OK man, you were knocked out viciously and staring at the rafters.' I won't endanger my health."

Mir is steadfast in his belief that neither of those scenarios is currently playing out. He still shakes his head at referee Rob Hinds' decision to stop his most recent bout against Josh Barnett in the first round at UFC 164 after he absorbed a knee along the fence.

The other two losses -- to Daniel Cormier and Junior dos Santos -- were disappointing for Mir, but not inexcusable. And in no way evidence that his career is over.

"I'm sorry if those three losses aren't killing my ego," Mir said. "Let's see, the losing streak started with Junior dos Santos, the No. 1 heavyweight in the world at the time. Then I lost to Cormier in a pretty boring fight and then to Barnett, which to me was a no-contest because the fight had a very controversial stoppage.

Shock Doctor Mouthguard Case

Shock Doctor Mouthguard Case

Shock Doctor Ultra Boxer Length Compression Short with Ultra Carbon Flex Cup

Shock Doctor Ultra Boxer Length Compression Short with Ultra Carbon Flex Cup

tags: Frank Mir (detail)  UFC 169

myee8 site profile image

1/29/14 10:08 AM by myee8

Hmmm perhaps...

Jeon Sa site profile image

1/29/14 9:57 AM by Jeon Sa

He looked like Frankenstein after his beating by Brock.

BuckyGoldstein site profile image

1/29/14 9:57 AM by BuckyGoldstein

Mir should learn to switch camps every so often.

Jeon Sa site profile image

1/29/14 9:55 AM by Jeon Sa

Mir will be one of these guys who sticks around too long. Which is a shame because he is a really intelligent guy. Don't get me wrong I love watching him fight but he's a two time champion who made lots of money. He's not in the title picture so why stick around?

Bootsy Collins site profile image

1/29/14 9:13 AM by Bootsy Collins

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1416651/Alistair_Overeem_vs_vs_Ewerton_Teixeira.gifTex was clearly just trying to read the sponsor logo on the mat

myee8 site profile image

1/29/14 8:56 AM by myee8

He might if Overeem knees him into next week like he did to Texiera in K1...

BuckyGoldstein site profile image

1/29/14 8:27 AM by BuckyGoldstein

* waits for the if you're on trt you should retire crowd

Arlovskis Chin site profile image

1/29/14 7:25 AM by Arlovskis Chin

What's wrong with his chin? Having JDS landing bombs will do that to you, ask anyone in the division not named roy nelson. Barnett hit him flush with a knee and mir recovered within 2 seconds (admittedly after being flash out). Cut the guy some slack. He's not getting KO'd by Cody Mckenzie is he.Even if he gets Ko'd in this fight it says nothing about his chin. It's overeem ffs. Hits hard enough to fuck up a grate trane.

ShowtimeKnee site profile image

1/29/14 7:18 AM by ShowtimeKnee

I don't think he would want to fight for Bellator or WSOF wonder what his next move is if he loses to Overeem.

CRE site profile image

1/29/14 5:59 AM by CRE

When he gets beat up the way his hair moves makes it look much more brutal, it's misleading, he actually hasn't taken that much punishment.