Renan Barao stops Faber in first round, retains title

The UFC 169 main event featured a fight between Urijah Faber and defending champion Renan Barao to determine the undisputed bantamweight champion.

In what appeared to be an early stoppage, Barao swarmed Faber and retained the UFC bantamweight championship in the main event of UFC 169 on Saturday night.

Barao, who dominated the fight from the outset, dropped Faber with a gigantic right hand late in the first round.

Faber was on the ground on his hands and knees and covering his head with his left hand as Barao landed punches. Faber gave referee Herb Dean a thumbs up with his right hand, but Dean stopped the bout at 3:42. Faber immediately popped up after the stoppage.

Title Fight Renan Barao Vs. Urijah "California Kid" Faber
Fight is scheduled for 5 rounds (5x5x5x5x5) - Fight is for the Bantamweight Title
Name Renan Barao <a href=Renan Barao" src="http://img.mixedmartialarts.com/method=get&rs=40&q=75&x=0&y=1&w=90&h=120&ro=0&s=renan-barao-07-17-12-9-19-33-367.jpg" />
Height 5′ 7″ (170.18 cm)
Weight 135 (61.23 kg)
Record 27-1-0
Team Nova Uniao
VS
Name Urijah Faber <a href=Urijah Faber" src="http://img.mixedmartialarts.com/method=get&rs=100&q=75&x=0&y=0&w=90&h=120&ro=0&s=14A524AD-1D09-6BFC-E51846174E37E604.jpg" />
Height 5′ 6″ (167.64 cm)
Weight 145 (65.77 kg)
Record 30-6-0
Team Capital City Fighting Alliance

-Renan Barão defeated Urijah Faber by TKO (Ref stoppage, Round 1, 3:42)

Torque Urijah Faber UFC Fox 9 Walkout Shirt

Torque Urijah Faber UFC Fox 9 Walkout Shirt

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

JustAnotherMMAFan site profile image

2/3/14 6:31 AM by JustAnotherMMAFan

BarĂ£o was destroying Faber, *BUT* the stoppage was really bad.Herb Dean could have waited a little more. Yes, Faber was turtling, but none of the final shots connected...

Yussarian site profile image

2/2/14 8:51 PM by Yussarian

Barao didn't stop Faber in the first round, Herb Dean did.

eljamaiquino site profile image

2/2/14 9:07 AM by eljamaiquino

This. You can't lay there indefinitely.

Josheo site profile image

2/2/14 5:48 AM by Josheo

I was pulling for Uriah hard, but I'm OK with the stoppage. I was one of those situations that could've gone either way. I think Herb Dean was leaning toward stopping the fight after having witnessed Faber getting pretty much manhandled by Barao starting at the 2:13 mark. That's when Barao threw a heavy right hand that dropped Uriah onto his back. Barao quickly followed up with some wild ground and pound for several seconds before a covering Uriah found his way to his feet and promptly ate a couple of hard right knees to the body. Another flurry of punches sent Uriah hurtling into the cage before Barao landed another hard right knee to the body. Uriah was able to grab Barao to slow the onslaught as the action moved toward the center of the cage. Uriah managed to land a knee as the two disengaged.At the 1:39 mark, Barao backed the California Kid into the cage with a heavy right-left punch combo that landed flush on the chin. About ten seconds later, Barao landed an overhand right to Faber's temple that buckled him and bent him over with both arms awkwardly pointing downward in almost perfect 90 degree angles. The Baron rushed in and sent a stunned Uriah crashing to the canvas belly first. I counted at least 13 unanswered hammer fists to Uriah's head area before the fight was graciously stopped. (I realize not all of these got through cleanly. But, still. It was obvious things were only getting worse for Faber.)I would have liked to see the fight go on a little longer before being stopped, but then again, I'm not the one getting punched in the head by a champion-level athlete. I love watching and rooting for Uriah in fights, but I think his days as a legit contender for the title are over. (I hope I'm wrong on that one.) It just seems like he's lacking that extra piece he needs to get him over the hump. Joe Rogan was spot-on early in the round when he said: "Well Uriah said, after he lost to Dominick Cruz, and after he lost to Renan Barao, that he's just a smidgeon off of the champions. I agree with that, but I think he's made up that smidgeon. The question really becomes -- he has clearly improved, but Barao's constantly improving too. Has he caught up? That's the real question."Tonight Uriah was unable to close the gap between champion and contender. But, at least he didn't take unnecessary damage in the process.

FightToLive site profile image

2/2/14 4:52 AM by FightToLive

First of all he was covering up!Second NO blows to the back of the head! Those where clearly in the bicep/arm!Uriah just needed to recover and that is what he was doing!He took a good shot but I think he could have recovered! I have seen better fight's at the all girls catholic school for free!$59.99 fukn dollars and I get that?

goldenboyart site profile image

2/2/14 4:33 AM by goldenboyart

Me too. If this was the fucking case with the last Overeem fight he would have won it. I feel for faber. This is fucking bullshit and all the dudes who say Herb is the best are STUPID and he's not consistant at all.I'll never buy abother won. Screw this amatuer reffing and judging BS

buckshot44 site profile image

2/2/14 2:54 AM by buckshot44

Horrible stoppage

The Sultan site profile image

2/2/14 2:53 AM by The Sultan

Yea man i totally agree with you. I also think that its really really silly with the judging. I cant fathom how an entire round of kickboxing work ie low kicks, punches, knees etc can all be negated by a single td....i dont get it at all and i think it really really sucks

Koku_Ryuu site profile image

2/2/14 2:20 AM by Koku_Ryuu

Nope. Which is why I think he was hurt bad. Just him flattening out like he was about to body surf said a lot. Faber...is a master at scrambling. His only response was giving a thumbs up?? Yeah...not wise.

Bipolar site profile image

2/2/14 2:13 AM by Bipolar

How much blame for the stoppage should fall to Faber for literally doing nothing while getting 209 slapped in his ear? I don't think he was hurt badly, but hurt or not should a fighter be allowed to just sit there turtled up and do nothing at all?

MMA apparel and training equipment
MMA clothing and gear