Machida: Fan criticism spurred style change

Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida famously began his UFC without losing a single round for a long time. But he also earned decisions in four out of his first five fights. By contrast and against stiffer competition, there are only two decisions in his last six wins.

Ahead of his fight with Gegard Mousasi at UFN 36 on February 15, Machida attributes the change to fan criticism.

“I want to do well for my fans, I want to do well for my promoters, and I just want to improve,” Machida told MMAjunkie Radio. “There’s always that pressure.”

“I just listened to my fans, and I’m always trying to improve and bring something to them because I want to listen to people who want to see me do well. The knockout really happens when there is an opportunity.”

“I always try to adapt to each opponent. You always have to have new tricks, and there’s always got to be something new.”

“I’ve been following Mousasi throughout his career and when he was fighting in Japan. He’s a great fighter.”

The fight will be Machida's second at 185. Mousasi has only two decisions out of his last 12 fights, so expect this headliner to be explosive.

Read entire article...
Listen to entire interview...

Affliction Sentient Shirt

Affliction Sentient Shirt

Roots of Fight Machida Karate Shirt

Roots of Fight Machida Karate Shirt

Y2JB site profile image

2/4/14 4:47 AM by Y2JB

I really dislike Machidas 100% counter style. If everyone fought that way there would never have been a strike thrown in the UFC. Ref's should start taking points from him when he refuses to engage, you can't simply wait until the other guy comes in, you have to go forward yourself sometimes.

phillyslice99 site profile image

2/4/14 1:44 AM by phillyslice99

Actually we have to wait and see

dermotfix site profile image

2/4/14 1:23 AM by dermotfix

Actually Weidman will beat all of them

MagSlim site profile image

2/4/14 1:03 AM by MagSlim

Yeah, I was watching that Trujillo fight and thought that it got really sloppy really quick.That's not the superbowl of martial arts, it's glorified toughman.It's crazy that I'd rather watch Maia take somebody apart on the ground than Abel pound their face in, but it really is more fun to watch if you know what you're looking at.

MagSlim site profile image

2/4/14 1:03 AM by MagSlim

inf0 site profile image

2/4/14 12:01 AM by inf0

He better not ask what his fans think of his breakfast shake...

The Sultan site profile image

2/3/14 11:59 PM by The Sultan

Totally agree man

Slade Wilson AKA Deathstroke site profile image

2/3/14 11:48 PM by Slade Wilson AKA Deathstroke

He has a much better shot at beating Weidman than silva did. He'd beat Belfort too. IMO

Haulport site profile image

2/3/14 11:30 PM by Haulport

Quoted because I agree. I don't mind the brawlers or the generic "athletes" if they are the minority and an occassional treat (like junk food) but guys like Machida are rare nowadays.......

The Sultan site profile image

2/3/14 10:51 PM by The Sultan

I love his traditional martial arts roots. I wish more fighters came from these backgrounds. Instead of the cocky brawlers who overtrain and just "wanna bang bro". Technical masters are so much fun to watch, even in decisions. Guya like trujillo kind of kill it for me. Sure he had the only KO the other night but he was close to being KO'd himself because of his massive holes in his game.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!