Evans off UFC 170 co-main vs. Cormier, replaced by newcomer Pat Cummins

Rashad Evans has injured his knee and is out of the co-main-event fight with Daniel Cormier at UFC 170.

Chael Sonnen offered to finish shooting TUF on the 18th, arrive in Las Vegas on the 19th, and fight Cormier on the 22nd.

Chael Sonnen @sonnench
@dc_mma I haven't been crazy about you attitude as of late. Daddy ain't ready, but he's ready enough. Feb 22 just say my name

UFC color commentator Joe Rogan appeared on FOX Sports Live, and respectfully stated why Cormier vs. Sonnen would not be a great fight for UFC 170.

"No, I don't need to see that," says Rogan bluntly, as transcribed by MMAFighting. "I think if Chael was going to fight him I'd like to see him go through a full camp... Although I love Chael, it doesn't make that much sense, especially after Rashad Evans destroyed him. Rashad Evans was his opponent. For him to step in it really doesn't make that much sense.

"Who's he going to fight? Well, there's a lot of great fighters at light heavyweight. The real issue is who is he going to fight on such short notice. I don't think anybody. I think they're going to scrap the fight. I think they're going to scrap the fight and Rory MacDonald and Demian Maia moves up to co-main."

In an interview with Ariel Helwani shortly after the news broke, Cormier said he would gladly fight Sonnen, or anyone.

"I saw on Twitter that Chael wants to fight," said Cormier. "Ok, let Chael fight. Anthony Johnson fought a couple of weeks ago, he's still in shape. Let him fight. Or if there's a heavyweight. I'll fight at heavyweight. There's somebody out there."

"I'd fight Chael in a heartbeat. I'd fight Anthony Johnson in a heartbeat. I'd fight any of those guys. There's somebody out there who wants to fight. Line 'em up. Then Rashad and I will fight later and that won't bother me. I just want to fight now. I just don't want this work to be for nothing. There's somebody out there that wants to fight."

"If Chael wants to fight, let him fight. If he says he wants to fight, let him fight. It's just such a tricky situation with my situation. I guess I can't just fight anybody."

"I hope they can do something. I hope they can find somebody that says OK. Roy Nelson lives in Vegas. He said he didn't like the way I fought last time. Maybe I'll fight him differently this time. Anybody."

Among those agreeing to step up was undefeated former collegiate wrestling standout Patrick "Durkin" Cummins, who came on the UnderGround with his desire.

I'll fight DC
From: Official Durkin
We both come from wrestling backgrounds and were on the National Team together.
I'm ready

Now Cormier's pleas have been answered as UFC president Dana White tweeted that Cummins will indeed fight Cormier on just over a week's notice.

Dana White ‏@danawhite
Former 2x all American, US National and undefeated fighter, Patrick Cummins will face the Undefeated Daniel Cormier.

Jaco Logo Shirt

Jaco Logo Shirt

Jaco Rashad Evans Suga Shirt

Jaco Rashad Evans Suga Shirt

DanChow site profile image

2/14/14 2:34 AM by DanChow

About time Wiki fixed the page.Cormier was expected to face Rashad Evans at UFC 170 on February 22, 2014, in what would be his first fight at light heavyweight.[26] However, a leg injury knocked Evans off the card just 10 days before the event.[27] He will face Patrick Cummins in the same event.[28]

DanChow site profile image

2/14/14 2:00 AM by DanChow

Wikipedia on top of the situation as usual:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_CormierCormier was expected to face Rashad Evans at UFC 170 on February 22, 2014, in what would be his first fight at light heavyweight.[26] However, a leg injury knocked Evans off the card just 10 days before the event.[27] He faced Patrick Cummins in the same event. Cormier lost the fight by TKO in round 3.[28].In this interview Patrick says he made DC cry.http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/2/14/5410598/pat-cummins-this-dude-is-crying-right-now

cdmontgo site profile image

2/14/14 1:51 AM by cdmontgo

Honestly, I don't get the match up in terms of a title picture, but...It is cool of DC to just f'n take a fight even if it is against an unknown.It is cool that a guy can still come on the UG and step up and the world premier league will pick him up.

theDude81 site profile image

2/13/14 6:48 PM by theDude81

I would pay $20 to watch this card but no more than that.

The Sultan site profile image

2/13/14 6:42 PM by The Sultan

I hope they reschedule it.

kevsh site profile image

2/13/14 6:10 PM by kevsh

I can't speak for everyone else but I care more about the importance of the fights than who is in them. A breakdown of UFC 170's main card: - One title fight - Cormier vs. a fill-in who is not even a full-time MMA fighter - Maia vs. Rory. Both lost their last fight and looked bad doing so, so doubtful a title shot is up for grabs here - Pyle vs. Waldberger - journeyman vs. journeyman - Whittaker vs. Thompson, another fight with zero future title implications So basically 2 fights worthy of a PPV main card. Cormier fight arguably is simply because he's in it, but it's not likely to be competitive. The last 2 are clearly undercard fights, maybe even on a Fight Night card. Point being, it's going to be tough to convince fans to shell out $60 for, at best, 2 1/2 fights they want to see.

Ironhouse site profile image

2/13/14 6:09 PM by Ironhouse

BALLS, helluva UFC debut.

ahle site profile image

2/13/14 5:31 PM by ahle

How does everyone on here complain about fighter pay, but bitch unless a card is stacked? Seriously, if you don't want to watch these other guys fight then they are of no use to the company. I think some of the best cards have been ones that people on here say they won't watch because it doesn't have the same 20-30 guys on it. Way to say you care about the fighters then shit all over them (which is what you're doing when you say it's not worth it to watch them fight).

tcrowl18 site profile image

2/13/14 4:57 PM by tcrowl18

I love the balls. WAR fucking Cummins

kevsh site profile image

2/13/14 4:40 PM by kevsh

They should've just re-booked the fight. There is literally no upside to Cormier vs. Cummins. If Cormier loses (I did say "if"), there goes a potential title challenger. And nobody who was going to pass on this PPV is going to change their mind now and buy it. Unless you're either related to Patrick or Daniel...