Rousey: Marijuana testing an 'invasion of privacy'

This week two UFC fighters have had fights over turned after testing positive for marijuana metabolites. Today UFC champion Ronda Rousey weighed in her with her opinion on the subject:

“Honestly I feel like weed is not a performance-enhancing drug at all,” Rousey told MMAjunkie. “We are tested for it for entirely political reasons. The athletic commission is there to make sure we compete fairly and they are testing us for something that has nothing to do with athletic competition.”

“It is beyond their rights [to test for marijuana],” Rousey said. “It’s actually an invasion of privacy.”

UFC Women\'s Ronda Rousey UFC 168 Walkout Shirt

UFC Women's Ronda Rousey UFC 168 Walkout Shirt

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

tags: Ronda Rousey (detail)

HexRei site profile image

2/15/14 9:25 PM by HexRei

dude, if you're going to leave, leave. Nothing lamer than someone who hangs around bitching about how they're going to leave, you know, some day.

Bann site profile image

2/15/14 7:40 PM by Bann

I actually just opened a Sherdog account because of this. They have professional writers and the shoopers are far better. I thought for a second there that the UG was the cool place because fighters post here but in reality it's just a scam to get chumps to pay for blue names.Dana pops in and makes these people feel special and unique. Lol keep buying those ppv and don't forget to subscribe to fight pass!

jayflo145 site profile image

2/15/14 6:05 PM by jayflo145

You're gonna have to look back further son...

elperro site profile image

2/15/14 5:34 PM by elperro

I love that woman

JJarvis_6 site profile image

2/14/14 11:28 PM by JJarvis_6

THIS!

Odins_Fleshlight site profile image

2/14/14 9:15 PM by Odins_Fleshlight

I just cant believe wees is scheduled higher than meth here in the US

willienugget site profile image

2/14/14 8:47 PM by willienugget

I thought the same thing until I altered the way I viewed the word. Instead of 'not' criminal, think of it as 'less' criminal. Sort of like devalue doesn't make it worthless. Our language itself is very confusing. Ten different words used to say the same thing, yet all ten are ambiguous. What the fuck is that about?And yes our laws are really fucked up. Most of them are easy enough to figure out, but some of them you don't know it was a law until you've been informed you've broken it.

ChaosOverkill site profile image

2/14/14 8:26 PM by ChaosOverkill

Yes, you're right I'm also aware of the flavours of decriminalization dependant on middle ground they think they are achieving, your system is ridiculous even compared to here (Ontario) which is illegal but "tolerated" as the cops think it's a joke and will jsut take your pot and smoke it and just try and scare you if you protest.   I think they need to adapt a better word for Decriminalied for your state, that is technically in a state of relative criminalization, I mean a speeding fine still goes on your insurance record. It may not be a charge but the fine still affects your life, it's a misleading word I tend to attribute to the system in Argentina rather then places where they still give fines, that's like "Sub-criminalized" more than de-criminalized. Or they should treat Argentina like a place where small amounts are legal, because yeah it is not near the same as your state decrim. because of the social stigma still attached and the effort to want to keep it on the downlow through fines but not give small amount posession a criminal charge.

willienugget site profile image

2/14/14 8:21 PM by willienugget

Of course you get some leeway and it's not like you'll be held accountable for what you've written, but being overly simplistic sometimes makes you wrong. And I can't discount that there are varying levels of breaking the law, but it's not the same as legal.My state is decriminalized. If I'm caught with any amount, they seize my drugs and make me pay $300 for possession. Sure I'm not sitting in prison for a dime bag but that aint exactly legal.I think I get your gist. I just think you could have articulated it better. Quick-fire back and forth tends to do that.

ChaosOverkill site profile image

2/14/14 8:08 PM by ChaosOverkill

eg: Argentina: considered Decriminalized Legal for personal use in small amounts and for consumption in private locations. Public consumption is generally accepted among young adults. Consumption for medical purposes is accepted but not legislated (only in private locations). Cultivating, selling and transporting large amounts is illegal and punishable by present laws.[11]   Like that sentence about Argentina is what I mean when I say Decrim. and Legal (TO AN EXTENT) for most smokers mean the same thing, and my saying a small amout there is acceptable and everyone accepts it as legal despite any differences, how could you justifiably test for it in an MMA fight there?   Where as Brazil: The possession of illegal drugs in Brazil, for personal consumption, entails a warning, community serviceand education on the effects of drug use. The same applies for the planting and/or preparation of small amounts of any illegal drug. Selling and transportation of any illegal drugs, as well as the possession or cultivation of larger amounts is characterized as drug trafficking, a criminal act punished with 5 to 15 years in prison and a significant fine.[22]   And that language and illegality is exactly why they CAN and DO test for it there like the US and Canada vs where they couldn't possibly in Argentina except in some way on fight day (Breathalyzer system)   "entails a warning, community serviceand education on the effects of drug use" That is some hardcore brainwashing, and the only comon denominator there is rabid extreme Christianity and these are two countries in the same area of the world where one highly tolerates and lets people smoke it without a problem in small amounts (Not sell or grow though) and the other treats it like a social problem.