UFC will decide on Lyoto title shot after UFC 173

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida fought Gegard Mousasi at middleweight in the main event of UFC Fight Night 36 on Saturday. UFC president Dana White was impressed, via Twitter.

Dana White @danawhite
It was a great fight! Lyoto looked f–-ing awesome against someone NASTY.

Machida himself, ever the humble martial arts master, had a more nuanced assessment.

“The thing is, we always want to be able to get a knockout or submit our opponents, but Mousasi’s a very tough fighter,” said Machida at the post fight press conference, as transcribed by MMAJunkie. “He’s shown us he’s been a champion in the U.S. and Japan, so when you’re going against one of the top fighters, a single detail can make all the difference. So I think it was a very tough fight. I have to watch it again, but I’m sure I’m ready for the title bout.”

Managing Director of UFC Brazil Grace Tourinho said that Machida is not necessarily the next contender. That has to wait for the title fight between Chris Wediman and Vitor Belfort at UFC 173 on May 24.

“In reality, we still have a fight that has to be done," said Tourinho at the post-fight press conference. "So we need to wait for that fight to happen and then I’m sure everyone will get their chances.”  Jaragua in Jaragua do Sul, Brazil.

An obvious alternative to a title fight would be a #1 contender showdown between the winners of Saturday's co main.

Both fighters were asked at the post fight press con, and both said they would take the fight, albeit with some reluctance. Via MMAFighting's Guilherme Cruz:

Guilherme Cruz @guicruzzz
•Jacare on fighting Machida next: "This fight can happen, yes. I wouldn't like this fight, but I'd take it."
•Machida on fighting Jacare: "Like Jacare said, I wouldn't like this fight, but I'd take it."

So what do you think UG? Who is the winner of Weidman vs. Belfort going to fight? And does Weidman keep his title?

Roots of Fight Machida Karate Shirt

Roots of Fight Machida Karate Shirt

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

WeidmanforPresident site profile image

2/17/14 10:43 PM by WeidmanforPresident

i don't get it.

rkm456 site profile image

2/17/14 10:00 PM by rkm456

I'd prefer for them to fight each other, but I make the statement based on Jacare's wins all being in the middleweight division, and him being a former middleweight champion. Outside of Mousasi and Munoz, Machida's wins are all outside of the division in which he's seeking his title shot. He looked great against Munoz, although they both looked extremely disinterested in fighting each other, and although I don't doubt he beat Mousasi, it wasn't as dominant as the performance Jacare had.

MMA Lives Here site profile image

2/16/14 10:32 PM by MMA Lives Here

This. Doesn't make sense

comeonman1 site profile image

2/16/14 10:29 PM by comeonman1

How is Sousa more deserving of a title shot over Machida based on both their resume's?Look at the quality of competition between the two and its not even close. Sousa's best wins are Kennedy, Lawler and Okami. Machida's best wins are Henderson, Evan's and Mousasi. All 3 of them are ex champs.Also, Machida is an ex champ and has a way bigger name and coming off a FOTN. Not saying Sousa isn't deserving either but I think based on resume's you gotta go with Machida.If Machida's foot is ok I would love for them to fight each other in 3 or 4 months to determine a clear cut #1 contender.

rkm456 site profile image

2/16/14 9:34 PM by rkm456

LOL @ Jacare not being "top tier" He held the strap in Strikeforce and has looked dominant in his UFC appearances. Based on resumes he's more deserving of a middleweight title shot than Machida is at this point. I'd like to see Machida have at least one more fight at middleweight before they give him a shot at the champ.

CrazyPope site profile image

2/16/14 7:58 PM by CrazyPope

I'd rather see either Jacare or Machida get the title fight rather than fight each other. Might be cause I'm a fan of both, but it makes more sense to give one the shot and give the other one more fight instead of killing off one of the only two legit contenders at MW right now.

LyotoBundiedMyGayGuard site profile image

2/16/14 7:43 PM by LyotoBundiedMyGayGuard

+1fuck this mismanagement of time. just schedule Jacare vs Machida for fucks sake.

Jobe Watson the Bomber site profile image

2/16/14 5:10 PM by Jobe Watson the Bomber

Also wasn't he supposed to get one after he beat Hendo as well. That was for a title fight I'm sure of it.Wasn't a fantastic fight but you can't say a fight is for a title shot and then if it's not exciting then no shot. Machida and Hendo both deserved to have the shot no matter who won and how.

ramaham site profile image

2/16/14 4:59 PM by ramaham

What the hell does the champ and number 1 fighting have to do with who is number 2 and next in line

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe site profile image

2/16/14 4:09 PM by HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

When he was promised a title shot after KOing Bader. Then never got said title shot.